AR Sights

My post was a response to Boghog1's post stating that the 5.56 is a 300 yard round. Any particular reason that you're singling my post out when it appears that we're on the same side of the argument?

Hahahaha, awesome. And I thought we were gonna be team honey badger

And no, I wasn't posting about the OPs need to plink, I was more interested in this tidbit

Originally Posted by vellnueve
The Swiss play at 600 yards with a very similar round.
Yes and the 5.56 can easily hit out that far, paper and terminal performance are two different things reliable fragmentation out that far doesn't happen, that doesn't mean I would want to be hit by a 5.56 at ranges over 300 yards either, if I had my druthers I would take a .308 out to 600 even though the round is capable of doing 1000yrds he asked how far I planned on shooting and in new england the reality is the AR is suited to <300yrd shots and ideally less than 100 yards shots

ARs are well suited to shoot accurately out to distance of 600-800 meters, if you know what you're doing. Apparently, you do not.

And high power is far from my only game. Actually, I tend to do fairly well with pistol (uspsa) and shotgun (trap and skeet) as well. Used to dabble in 3gun too, but blasting a 12" circle at 25yards gets old after a while. I found a niche in HP...noticed that it actually took a fair amount of ability and skill to hit MOA targets are fairly long distances. It wasn't "easy". Not to take anything from uspsa or 3gun...shooting super fast takes its own set of skills, but HP was just significantly more satisfying to me.

As for ballistics under 300 yards? There really aren't any. Even with a significant crosswind, you can easily hit a man sized target at 300yds or less with little to no windage correction....although I suppose you would actually need to have experience shooting at 300'yards to know that. Glad I could teach you that little tidbit. If you have any more questions, feel free to send me a PM

Thanks you taught me so much, I'll stick to my magpul sight since I obviously have never shot anything over 100yards with irons [/sarcasm]

View attachment 28569
Threads like pics, so here's one. AR-style rear sight (inc'd 600yd adj ring and 2 apertures) but without the full carry handle. This comes stock with the M&P15-22. Might be a cheap sight upgrade until you go scoped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the LMT version of that on one of my rifles. It's a good one.

I'm still trying to understand this 2700fps number. Doing the math, all common .224 bullets have stability factors over one until they get a lot slower than that. Did 2700 come from something real or was that something that somebody posted over on uberkooloperatorz.com?

I have the LMT version of that on one of my rifles. It's a good one.

I'm still trying to understand this 2700fps number. Doing the math, all common .224 bullets have stability factors over one until they get a lot slower than that. Did 2700 come from something real or was that something that somebody posted over on uberkooloperatorz.com?
Actually the 2700 came from testing the .mil did. with the XM193

Actually the 2700 came from testing the .mil did. with the XM193

They actually used M193 not XM193 but OK we're talking 55 grain FMJ. We haven't issued those in decades. Even when I was in over a decade ago we got M855, now guys who can shoot are getting heavier stuff. (And obviously civilians have basically unlimited options when it comes to bullet selection.)

My point (and yes, I was being kind of a dick) was that you can't just say ".223 is not effective past 300 yards" without some discussion about bullet length / weight and barrel twist rate.

Also bullets tend to tumble when their stability factor drops below 1, which happens as they slow down. If you want something to tumble, shoot a long bullet at low velocity from a slow twist rate. It will fail to stabilize in spectacular fashion.

Anyway, sorry for shitting on your thread.

Last edited:
.338 Lapua creates a much larger wound channel, as it's a much larger round. It is not comparable to .223 in any way. So either you're an idiot who knows very little about ballistics and terminal performance or you're being rude for no reason. I'm not sure it's necessary to get snarky at people who consider using a rifle for its designed purpose, killing things. Not everyone is concerned with poking holes in paper.

You clearly missed the point.

They actually used M193 not XM193 but OK we're talking 55 grain FMJ. We haven't issued those in decades. Even when I was in over a decade ago we got M855, now guys who can shoot are getting heavier stuff. (And obviously civilians have basically unlimited options when it comes to bullet selection.)

My point (and yes, I was being kind of a dick) was that you can't just say ".223 is not effective past 300 yards" without some discussion about bullet length / weight and barrel twist rate.

Also bullets tend to tumble when their stability factor drops below 1, which happens as they slow down. If you want something to tumble, shoot a long bullet at low velocity from a slow twist rate. It will fail to stabilize in spectacular fashion.

Anyway, sorry for shitting on your thread.

I was being a douche too. Lack of sleep and a sinus infection are taking its toll. I agree it is effective beyond 300 yards in the right hands with the right ammo.

I was being a douche too. Lack of sleep and a sinus infection are taking its toll. I agree it is effective beyond 300 yards in the right hands with the right ammo.

I'm on a diet to get back in shape for rifle season. I tend to get grumpy when I'm hungry. [grin]

My post was a response to Boghog1's post stating that the 5.56 is a 300 yard round. Any particular reason that you're singling my post out when it appears that we're on the same side of the argument?

He's still learning how to work his iPad. Not everything is as simple as a black rifle. [wink]

Should we all get together now and sing kumbia?

sent from the handbasket

Only if we do it from no more than six feet from the campfire. Kumbia is not effective under 85 decibels.

Like jasons said, still learning the iPad lol.

And yes, bacon is a sore subject for Jason right now. It's not on the p90x diet list, so he has to sit by the sidelines, sniffling and drooling.

bacon.jpg

Back
Top Bottom