• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ar wont pick up next round

Update, didn't have much time because I was concentrating on getting a prs gun dialed, but.... the new bolt is now cycling, but catching short on the last shot. When the magazine is empty the bcg is catching on the carrier instead the bolt face. I'll go back switch buffer springs.
Did you check the gas system?

Disassemble the BCG, clean, deburr heavily lube and reassemble.

Pull the gas block and check for blockage/burrs

Reassemble everything and run the BCG very wet until broken in.

Also lube the buffer and spring - doesn't need a lot because if you run the BCG wet it will transfer some lube.

Swapping a new, stiff BCG into gun that's well broken in can mask some excess stiffness.
If flicking your wrist quickly with a closed BCG doesn't extend it, then it likely is too dry, not broken in or dirty.

Going to figure this out tonight, and that's it!
First thing I'd get rid of is that AR cut bolt carrier and put in a standard M16 cut carrier. It will have a little more weight/inertia.

Of all the ARs I have, only one ever had an AR cut carrier and that was replaced the moment I opened the rifle the first time. It sits in a tube as a last resort spare.

Did you feed it brisket and beer?
Otherwise it will not cooperate.

But for real sounds like the buffer is short stroking.

Commercial buffer and tube on a milspec lower?

Back
Top Bottom