• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR10 DMR Thoughts (LMT, DD)

VTski4x4

NES Member
So I'm going to be buying an AR10 as a DMR rifle, not PRS competition. Around here I can only get out to 300yds, but in NH and ME I can stretch it out to 600+ depending on the trip. I was set on the DDM5V5 in 6.5 Creed, but after going through the bowels of the internet over and over again, I'm now trending towards the LMT MARS 18" in .308. Now, the LMT is more than I wanted to spend initially, but hey, it is what it is. I've read really great things about the DDM5 in regards to accuracy, and weight - what is tripping me up is LMT - is it really $1500 BETTER than the DD? Both will shoot sub MOA, the LMT has the monolithic upper with barrel swaps, but the DD can swap the upper to .308 for roughly the same price. I'm budgeting about $5k for this total including glass (PST Gen 2, Strike Eagle, PA, Leupold) area. So basically, I'm looking to get people's thoughts. Obviously LMT and KAC are God tier gucci, and KAC isn't in the budget this time around, but I figured I would ask. I don't currently reload 308 or 6.5 (I reload 30.06), but I have a friend who reloads 308 and might be willing to offer some help getting it going. No one I shoot with even touches 6.5 in this state (but that's my friend group not a generality). Not interested in building an Aero M5 lower with some gucci upper, or buying a JP tack driver. I want a go to hell DMR to go along with my "go time" 15s.

You are GTG for 600 yards with a 308. If I had that budget and wanted an 18" DMR, I'd go for the LMT and be done with it. PST is more than good enough glass for that too. Leupold equivalent is a nice way to go and may be US made.

I would not overlook JP if they have something that fills your wants. Great products and super smooth running plus reliable.

You are GTG for 600 yards with a 308. If I had that budget and wanted an 18" DMR, I'd go for the LMT and be done with it. PST is more than good enough glass for that too. Leupold equivalent is a nice way to go and may be US made.

I would not overlook JP if they have something that fills your wants. Great products and super smooth running plus reliable.
If I was going to go JP, I would probably got Sgt of Arms TBH.

One of these days I'd really like to have a Gucci LMT or KAC, but function-wise I could accomplish identical reliability and better accuracy with my own build: Aero lower and upper with their Atlas handguard, Compass Lake barrel made from a Bartlein blank with a matching headspaced high pressure JP bolt, JP BCG, and a Geissele trigger. But after all that, it's still a Franken-gun. Targets don't know the difference but sometimes it's nice to have a high end rifle.

Out of curiosity, what made you go from a 6.5 to 308 AR10 build?
I can't get out to 1000yds unless I go to one particular range with one particular friend that lives 3hrs away. No one in my core group shoots 6.5 but they do shoot and reload .308. I'm not using it for long range hunting so I don't need the ballistic advantage of 6.5 over .308 @ 600+. I do shoot a lot so I really don't want to go down the "barrel burner" road.

I can't get out to 1000yds unless I go to one particular range with one particular friend that lives 3hrs away. No one in my core group shoots 6.5 but they do shoot and reload .308. I'm not using it for long range hunting so I don't need the ballistic advantage of 6.5 over .308 @ 600+. I do shoot a lot so I really don't want to go down the "barrel burner" road.

Barrel life is a factor if that concerns you, but 6.5 CM has benefits even before 600 yards. You can pretty much match 20” barrel 308 external ballistics with a 16” 6.5 CM. Makes for a handier “DMR” up close and out to 600. And you’ll still be supersonic if you ever think you’ll be reaching out farther.

But, if the rest of your friends shoot 308, that’s probably the right answer.

Between DD and LMT, I don’t think LMT is worth it unless you intend to take advantage of the barrel swaps. The LMT is pricey and heavy. If you want heavy, the DD will get there when adding an optic, bipod, etc. No need to start heavy for something that’s not a competition rifle.

And remember that LMT takes proprietary barrels. A couple places will convert normal barrels for a fee. But if you’re planning this for longer term contingencies, parts availability is something to consider.

Lastly, you could do a build with a Wilson Combat receiver set. They use the angled cuts like KAC, LMT, Larue etc. Throw on a Criterion barrel, JP full mass BCG, and durable handguard like a Centurion or PRI and you’re off to the races. No need to stick with a basic Aero build. And you should be able to throw on KAC or LMT uppers later if you so desire.

Barrel life is a factor if that concerns you, but 6.5 CM has benefits even before 600 yards. You can pretty much match 20” barrel 308 external ballistics with a 16” 6.5 CM. Makes for a handier “DMR” up close and out to 600. And you’ll still be supersonic if you ever think you’ll be reaching out farther.

Between DD and LMT, I don’t think LMT is worth it unless you intend to take advantage of the barrel swaps. The LMT is pricey and heavy. If you want heavy, the DD will get there when adding an optic, bipod, etc. No need to start heavy for something that’s not a competition rifle.

And remember that LMT takes proprietary barrels. A couple places will convert normal barrels for a fee. But if you’re planning this for longer term contingencies, parts availability is something to consider.

Lastly, you could do a build with a Wilson Combat receiver set. They use the angled cuts like KAC, LMT, Larue etc. Throw on a Criterion barrel, JP full mass BCG, and durable handguard like a Centurion or PRI and you’re off to the races. No need to stick with a basic Aero build. And you should be able to throw on KAC or LMT uppers later if you so desire.
I'm actually starting to throw a monkey wrench in my own thought process. Started going down the SCAR17 rabbit hole. I definitely agree that the Daniel is looking like a winner in my situation vs the LMT.

Wilson combat, forged or billet?

Pretty sure I'm going DD5V4. 18" 308 should be just right. If I went 6.5 I was actually considering the V5 20" version, but since it's not for competition, 18 308 should be fine. It's a sub moa gun off the rack, and I'm not a consistent sub moa shooter (yet). If it's an moa rifle that is extremely reliable (as I've read) it should be a good compromise, and $1000 less than a Scar.

I'm actually starting to throw a monkey wrench in my own thought process. Started going down the SCAR17 rabbit hole. I definitely agree that the Daniel is looking like a winner in my situation vs the LMT.
Get out of the rabbit hole. There’s nothing for you down there. The Scar has lightweight going for it but parts availability, almost no barrel options and price ruins things. LMT only if you plan to use the barrel change feature otherwise go DD.

What did you decide on? I have an itch for a new rifle in 7.62NATO and am literally having the same dilemma: DD5V4, LMT, Sig Spear 7.62, HK MR762A1, or M1A Scout.

The Aero is appealing but I think I talked myself into something more Gucci. I wasn’t really into the Spear until I finger f***ed one in 5.56 at Randy’s. I already have a SCAR17, but that’s kind of my go-to if SGD

What did you decide on? I have an itch for a new rifle in 7.62NATO and am literally having the same dilemma: DD5V4, LMT, Sig Spear 7.62, HK MR762A1, or M1A Scout.

The Aero is appealing but I think I talked myself into something more Gucci. I wasn’t really into the Spear until I finger f***ed one in 5.56 at Randy’s. I already have a SCAR17, but that’s kind of my go-to if SGD
DD5V4 in 308. Put a Vortex FFP PST gen 2 3-15x on it. Absolute tack driver, even with shitty 7.62x51 surplus. The surefire brake is rather loud, and it may or may not have cleared out the range this past weekend. Ordered a LaRue trigger because the stock one is terrible.

Back
Top Bottom