AR15 Lower Parts Kits - Stag vs CMMG vs DPMS

CWulf

NES Member
Hi Guys,
Gathering parts for a first build. I am looking for a LPK. It looks like CMMG and DPMS are about the same price ($78) and a Stag and Plametto State are a bit less ($66 and $70)... are there any real differences? What do you all recommend? Other options?

I had an American Weapons Systems from the group buy, and a Rock River Arms for my 6.8. The parts were pretty much identical. If you plan to upgrade grip and trigger, they are pretty much the same thing. Just buy the cheaper and start saving for a match trigger :D

edit:
you can actually buy a RRA lpk that comes with an upgraded trigger. Thats honestly what I would do if you plan on a trigger upgrade.

Last edited:
you can actually buy a RRA lpk that comes with an upgraded trigger. Thats honestly what I would do if you plan on a trigger upgrade.

This.

I installed a CMMG LPK in an M4gery I just built. The trigger flat out sucked. Fortunately I had a leftover RRA 2-stage match trigger hanging around and installed that - vast improvement. Another option would be to install an ALG Defense trigger (ALG Defense - where triggers with tradition, value and regulatory concerns are of primary importance) - ALG is a less expensive (but still very high quality) version of a Giessele trigger.

You can buy LPKs without the trigger parts, get one of them, then add the trigger of your choice.

it wouldnt surprise me if Stags parent company Continental tool in CT makes the parts for dpms, cmmg ect ect. Marks dad has been providing AR/M16 parts for many many manufactures for a long time. Also wont shock me if most of the springs are coming out of CT also.
I have used 10 different manufactures so far for mil spec triggers only 2 felt really gritty and they where from 2 different sources but you couldnt tell the difference between the baggies it was packed in? Stag for me any ways has been just fine mil spec, fits and functions. ONLY LPK i have had issues with where the timberwolf stainless kits from NES group buy few years back. They needed fitting for proper function.
As mentioned if you plan to up grade why waste the money. I love my RRA 2 stage compared to mil spec, I refuse to try anything claiming to be better as I dont need a reason to spend 200+ on a trigger! good luck.

The AWS kits we got in the group buy are the nicest ones I've used. I would say that the Doublestar kits are second, and Palmetto, and DPMS were distant to both of those, both in fit as well as trigger feel.

Get the AWS kit.

You can buy LPKs without the trigger parts, get one of them, then add the trigger of your choice.

This is the best route to take.

I think Spike's has the nicest LPK, mostly because they use the best roll pins (actual stainless steel roll pins, not the spring steel split pins that almost all the other manufacturers the OP listed use. The Spike's pins are much easier to install).

AIM has the Spike's kit less trigger Spike's Tactical Lower Receiver Parts Kit w/ No Trigger/Hammer

Add the trigger of your choice, assemble and enjoy!

The triggers in all of the standard "mil-spec" (not true) parts kits range from barely tolerable to terrible. All the other components are usually fine.

There are companies that sell parts kits upgraded with halfway decent triggers, and also companies that sell parts kits without triggers so you can choose your own. Either of those is a better option than paying for a shit trigger they you'll most likely throw in a spare parts bin to gather dust.

I've seen so much variance in basic triggers on parts kits, so I think it is tough to estimate what you will get.

I've got a Stag kit that has one of the best milspec triggers I've ever felt after just adding the JP Spring kit. It is so good I don't need to upgrade it.

I've tried multiple CMMG kits, some had great triggers. My last one was AWFUL. I put it on my retro build since that one isn't going to be used for tight groups anyways.

Also tried PSA. Two that were bought together had great triggers, then another bought a month later was so-so.

I'd get the cheapest you can, see how the trigger is. Work on it if you want, or replace with a better one if you care enough.

If you can get a Stag kit that cheap, I'd probably go with that. I found the other parts to all be very nice, and they gave me an extra detent for the takedown pins.

You can also work on the trigger and hammer to turn a crappy (gritty, etc.) set into a sweet one. It takes a bit of work, but it's pretty easy to do. I actually did it on the first LPK I installed. Trigger was a gritty mess. A bit of lapping later and it turned out really nice. Added the JP Enterprise spring set and it became one sweet trigger set.

If you have the extra cash, get a two stage match trigger. Joe Bob's has them in stock occasionally. Just over $100 and a world of difference compared to a standard lpk.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

You can also see if the RRA lpk NES group buy is still open with nm 2 stage opption. run by duece.

What did the OP do?

You can also see if the RRA lpk NES group buy is still open with nm 2 stage opption. run by duece.

What did the OP do?

I ended up using the CMMG. It seems to work fine but I may upgrade the trigger. I haven't had a lot of time on the range with it so I wont really figure it out till spring. I have a RRA LPK from Deuce's group buy that I may put in for a comparison...

I ended up using the CMMG. It seems to work fine but I may upgrade the trigger. I haven't had a lot of time on the range with it so I wont really figure it out till spring. I have a RRA LPK from Deuce's group buy that I may put in for a comparison...
I just finished installing the Deuce GB RRA LPK with national match trigger opption around 630pm. Went together really nice. I have had very good results with rra products. Installed in the NES YHM group buy lower and will be building off the 56$ upper I received from Duece also.......I think?
Have so many group buy things floating around I forget what came from who/where!

Does anyone have any feed back on Spikes tactical LPK? How does it compare to American weapon systems LPK?

Never tried the AWS LPK, but as I said earlier about the Spike's:

I think Spike's has the nicest LPK, mostly because they use the best roll pins (actual stainless steel roll pins, not the spring steel split pins that almost all the other manufacturers the OP listed use. The Spike's pins are much easier to install).

Most likely all the same none of these companies make small parts and most parts come from the same few parts manufacturers. It would be too costly for each of these companies to make their own small parts. Stag/Continental Machine and Tool don’t make small parts.

Last edited:
Most likely all the same none of these companies make small parts and most parts come from the same few parts manufacturers. It would be too costly for each of these companies to make their own small parts. Stag/Continental Machine and Tool don’t make small parts.
Are you sure continental doesn't make small parts?
http://www.continentalmachinetool.com/firearms.html
is this false advertisement? I have seen many "Internet " stories that say continental makes almost everything but barrels and springs? IDK there's so much who makes who for what it doesn't seem to matter any more.....wish they would all just stop the BS. What I do know from calling ctm is they do not make rifles just parts. Their son "stag " is who went into production for civillian sales.

Last edited:
So I just wanted to throw this in for what its worth. Just built my first ar. I had ordered an moe ptac lower build kit from psa before I knew there was any difference between kits. After reading up I was a little nervous installing but it all installed with zero issues. Now all the moving parts felt like poop very crunchy and supper tight. So I got annoyed and put it away and ordered a stag lpk.
2 days later I pulled it out of my safe and apparently everything settled in because it feels great! Took it out to the range last week and had zero running issues. Ran like a dream. From a 35 dollar kit. So mean while my stagvkit finally came in. I figured I would at least see how it felt but the disconector valley was out of spec on the trigger and I couldn't even get the trigger pin thru the trigger with DC installed. I'm sure I can fix it but I have no interest in fixing a kit that cost twice as much as the one that dropped in with no work so it is going back.

Also trigger feels awesome but its apples to oranges because I did some work to it before I even installed it.

Last edited:
My 14.5" build has the DPMS and the trigger is actually nicer than my M&P Sport, a lot better than expected. Not much pre travel and a clean break.

If it's on the internet it must be true. I must be incorrect about this small parts thing sorry.
"Internet" yeah never really know what's what. I am only going on my own little research. Back when I purchased my stag I read all over and called many places. Talked with mark at stag. Then I called CMT. I dug a little deeper and when I found cmt has been manufactureing ar parts for many years and supplying many ar builders. from what I learned also is stag/cmt made S&W ARs for sometime.
What's also funny is there's never really any talk or info on where the rough forgings are made? Not that I have found anyway.
Its all good. I'm am curious though just how well some of these very inexpensive parts will hold up. I'm also curious to what they are really made of the actual finish used. Are some of these parts made from zinc like the chiappa stuff?

A lot of parts out on the market under all kinds of brand names are MIM this is also true for 1911 parts and almost all the MIM parts come from Indomim out of India. They are the worlds largest suppliers of MIM parts and not only gun parts they make everything.

Back
Top Bottom