AR15 overtravel

milktree

NES Member
I just replaced the trigger that came in my Bushmaster DCM/CMP rifle with a Geissele high speed.

One thing I found curious is that the Geissele instructions say to set the overtravel as large as possible.

...It is recommended to retain the maximum amount of overtravel possible. This will help prevent any movement of the rifle after the shot is fired from the the moving trigger coming to a hard stop before the projectile has exited the barrel.

Now, that explanation makes sense, but it's counter to *everything* I've seen on other fancy triggers. Everywhere else it seems like people want to reduce overtravel to a minimum so the trigger *can't* move after the hammer is released. e.g. every 1911, the Bushmaster trigger that came out, &c.

One thing that might be the difference is that the Bushmaster hammer has a lighter than stock spring, and weighs 50% more than the Geissele hammer. The lock time is noticeably shorter with the Geissele. Maybe the hammer moves so damn fast your finger can't actually bottom out before the bullet has left the muzzle. Or maybe the instructions are appropriate for the match trigger, with lighter trigger and second stage spring, so you're just not pressing the trigger very hard. I'm using the service rifle springs.

I gotta say, the loooong overtravel feels weird, kinda sloppy. I'm really not used to it. I haven't actually shot the gun with the new trigger yet, just dry fired it.

Thoughts?

I run my triggers with a good amount of over travel, I have found that when shooting fast, I am less likely to influence the shot by slamming into the over travel stop, especially if I am grip the gun hard like a 1911

setting them up JUST right take a bit of practice. ive done dozens of them at this point...gotten fairly quick at it too.

overtravel is all in perception. personally, i like virtually ZERO overtravel. it's what im used to, and its what I expect. if i have too much overtravel I find myself overextending my grip with the trigger pull (and yanking shots low right)

I have two types of triggers in my ARs, A JP with an over travel stop and one by Accuracy Speaks with no stop. Both triggers are great and I cant't tell the difference between the two at the range.

Back
Top Bottom