Archangel Mosin Stock Help

So pictures are worth a thousand words.. but I'll try my best to verbalize it as best as possible since I don't have photos and I'm not going to take some right now.

I've tried reaching out to Archangel/Promag and have gotten ZERO response from them. I haven't tried calling them - not impressed. Grab-a-gun e-mailed me back and said to keep trying Arch/Promag.

Has anyone run into an issue with the rear action screw? It feels like it's crossthreading or the threads are so poorly cut that it's deforming the threads on the screw(bolt?). Upon inspection of the threads, it does indeed look like they're flattening a bit, but not cross threading. I found the size of the bolt/threads - but its a very uncommon size.

Does anyone have the tap/die that I could borrow to clean up my threads? Otherwise I'll have to special order it online.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSpec.htm

Rear Action Screw
32 TPI
0.256" Outer Diameter

The thing is, I can't find the *exact* size for this thread pattern.
Places online say to go w/ a 1/4"-32 found here: http://www.victornet.com/subdepartments/Special-Pitch-Taps-up-to-1-2/1260.html

Thoughts? Btw, the reason to do all of this, is because the screw head isn't sitting flush inside the action, and binds the bolt up when trying to cycle it. The other alternative is I just grind down/file down the screw head (which I think will hurt me in the long run).

Wow. I didn't have this issue with my stock. However I did notice that the rear action screw is hard to screw in for the first 1/8" or so then it gets easier to screw in. I would send a PM to 50 BMG as he's helping me with my archangel project and he is insanely knowledge with these rifles and aftermarket parts such as the archangel stock. Sorry I wasn't able to help a whole lot.

Well - glad to hear that Promag sucks. Luckily in my case, my hex key stripped (the one that was included) before I destroyed the threads in the stock. Though I really did wrench hard on it. I know what the solution is.. but now it's just to get a tap and die set to clean up the threads and call it a day.

Anyone? I can use my small file set to cleanup the screw - the threads in the stock are a different story.

i got my stock recently but havent started the conversion...hope I do not run into this issue as well. good luck with it

You have to keep in mind these screw holes have seen a lot of action . When I took my mosin a part I found a lot of gunk stuck in the screw threads.

Any one got a list of all the different threads they used? I know some don't use a metric it standard thread.

When I wanted new hardware for my mosin I went to the hardware store and found a nut that when on the bolt. I forget what I used .

If you find out wgat thread it is and 100% sure I'll probably have the tap and die .

Last edited:
You have to keep in mind these screw holes have seen a lot of action . When I took my mosin a part I found a lot of gunk stuck in the screw threads.

Any one got a list of all the different threads they used? I know some don't use a metric it standard thread.

When I wanted new hardware for my mosin I went to the hardware store and found a nut that when on the bolt. I forget what I used .

If you find out wgat thread it is and 100% sure I'll probably have the tap and die .

It's all brand new hardware - Arch angel stock, and replacement hex screw.

I'm talking about the mosin receiver. I bought rock solid bolts for mine and they didn't want to thread .
I wound up just buying new hardware at a store that was a slightly smaller thread .

I figured on mine the receiver threads was a little messed up .

So an update... I emailed Promag one last time a week ago, and they responded that their screw is too long - and sent me a new one. This one is shorter, and still too long. It keeps hanging up the bolt...

I tried the screw that came with the Mosin, which is the same length, but has a rounded head from some grinding. It clears the bolt more, but still gets scraped up..
Also concerned about how the trigger doesn't cause the bolt to fire if squeezed gently - only fires when you engage the trigger quickly.

Might've fallen for the novelty....

So an update... I emailed Promag one last time a week ago, and they responded that their screw is too long - and sent me a new one. This one is shorter, and still too long. It keeps hanging up the bolt...

I tried the screw that came with the Mosin, which is the same length, but has a rounded head from some grinding. It clears the bolt more, but still gets scraped up..
Also concerned about how the trigger doesn't cause the bolt to fire if squeezed gently - only fires when you engage the trigger quickly.

Might've fallen for the novelty....

I'll take it off your hands

Back
Top Bottom