Are Kobe Bryant and Jimmy Kimmel Felons?

Arnold signed a law while he was Gov in CA allowing fellons to handle firearms for the purpose of filming. Turns out someone finally asked hey, even with blanks aren't those real guns, and isn't it illegal in CA for a convicted fellon to even handle an empty firearm? Could have shut Hollywood down.

This has been discussed to death. Yes, technically hollywood actors like gibson and others are FIP when they film scenes like this but the ATF won't charge them ever. It isn't worth the hassle and let face it, they aren't a danger given the circumstances.

And frankly, if the ATF were to file charges, it would send the wrong message to the public. That being that people who are FIP are not allowed to even possess fake guns. Wanna see the result of that message, look to Australia and England. 'nuff said.

But isn't felon in possession a federal thing? I wouldn't think a state law could cover you on that.

But CA has it's own version of the federal law. It helps to have state versions of things like that so you don't have to beg the ATF to prosecute someone.

This has been discussed to death. Yes, technically hollywood actors like gibson and others are FIP when they film scenes like this but the ATF won't charge them ever. It isn't worth the hassle and let face it, they aren't a danger given the circumstances.

And frankly, if the ATF were to file charges, it would send the wrong message to the public. That being that people who are FIP are not allowed to even possess fake guns. Wanna see the result of that message, look to Australia and England. 'nuff said.

FIP??? Felons in Practice??? Not familiar with the acronym.

Well... the "wrong message" being, of course, that they don't want to send is that the law is completely f**king stupid. The ATF and others want to keep that law around as long as possible, so they can use it opportunistically. They won't ever charge anyone prominent with it because that would draw negative attention to the idiocy of many federal gun laws.

-Mike

Well... the "wrong message" being, of course, that they don't want to send is that the law is completely f**king stupid. The ATF and others want to keep that law around as long as possible, so they can use it opportunistically. They won't ever charge anyone prominent with it because that would draw negative attention to the idiocy of many federal gun laws.

-Mike

The question is, could you use the fact that the ATF refuses to prosecute when there is overwhelming evidence as part of a defense?

Possession is the P you're looking for.

Edit: doh, forgot that I opened this tab a while ago.

The most obvious example of Hollywood Felon in Possession is probably Mark Wahlberg. I'm curious what would happen if some US Attorney decided to make a point.

Last edited:
The question is, could you use the fact that the ATF refuses to prosecute when there is overwhelming evidence as part of a defense?

No. "Prosecutorial sloth" or selective enforcement, is not a defense. The feds would never want to be forced to admit that they've created so many inadvertent felons, that if they actually attempted to prosecute every individual that broke some obscure federal law, the federal prisons would be full and the fed courts would be backed up for years. They pick and choose cases based on whatever will get them the best PR score, or whatever is the most blatant offense. Even thugs and gangbangers frequently referred to the feds never get prosecuted unless the guy has already been through the local system like 5 times already.

-Mike

The ATF and others want to keep that law around as long as possible, so they can use it opportunistically.
-Mike

You've hit on one of the major problems with government these days. Laws are created not with the idea of universal application but to be used like tools. If one extension doesn't quite get you there, pick another, or stack them with a wobble adaptor and a deep socket.

You've heard of "pardons",... the president isnt the only one handing them out for contributions. Governor's do too!! [wink] I believe Attys can file papers for pardons too,... still. Not just sealed records for otherwise unpermited permits <shrug>

Last edited:
But CA has it's own version of the federal law.
AZ recently passed its own version of a federal law.

AG Eric Holder quickly filed a lawsuit that attempts to get the AZ law declared unconstitutional.

If AZ/SB1070 is struck down on federal supremacy clause grounds, than I'd say all state gun control laws are soon to be thrown out.

[I wish <g>]

Does that commercial bother actual soldiers I wonder?

Going after FIP's in these circumstances is inane.

Back
Top Bottom