• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Army recruiter crosses the line (literally).

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbi

Yesterday I was in my home office on the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] floor when the door bell rings. I start walking out to try and get the door but my wife was faster (she was on the first floor), so I just stopped outside my office to listen. A man asks for my oldest daughter (by name). My wife answers him “oh, she’s not home, she’s still in college”. He tells her something which I couldn't understand, and she continues to answer “she’ll be home later this week...”

At this point I feel my hair start sticking out, blood pressure going high, I tell my wife (not in English) “STOP providing information!!” as I start walking down the stairs. I reach the half point where I can see the door, my wife gives me this “what’s your problem” look, and I see an army sergeant (couldn’t tell which branch) stands outside and holding the storm door with one hand and a briefcase in the other. I ask him what does he want, he says they are checking on kids who graduated high school last year. I stopped him and told him she is not interested. He then proceeds and walks INTO the house and continues to talk “oh, that’s fine, we’re just checking to see where they are with their lives, what they are doing”.
Blood pressure keeps going up. I did NOT invite you to my house, so get the **** out!
I told him “We’re fine, thank you very much!” in a very stern and assertive tone. Seems like he got the message, he said thank you and left. My wife says he drove a car with a gov. plate.

After he left I asked my wife (kind’a pissed) “What the hell was that?? Why are you providing information to him? Who is he??”. She said “I don’t know, I guess I got confused”. She was probably intimidated by the uniform/authority.
I tell her “Do you know that if a police officer knocks on the door and starts asking question you have NO obligation to answer?”
She says “no, I didn’t know that”.
I went back to my office, took the BUST card that was in one of the recent threads (Thanks @MaverickNH) and told her to make sure she reads it A to Z.

I am still furious at what happened. Both at the chutzpa of this sergeant for coming into the house uninvited and at my wife's "free speech" [frown]

The Air Force offered my sister a commission if she could get me to sign up. The Nuclear Navy did the same.
She did not live at home at the time... She was a live-in Nanny nearly an hours drive away, and NOT in the armed forces.

Did your daughter take the ASVAB test? I'd wager she did.

The Air Force offered my sister a commission if she could get me to sign up. The Nuclear Navy did the same.
She did not live at home at the time... She was a live-in Nanny nearly an hours drive away, and NOT in the armed forces.

Did your daughter take the ASVAB test? I'd wager she did.

Don't think she did, but I'll ask her.

Call his commanding officer and report the incident, followed by a written statement to same.

That is way out of line for someone to just walk into someone elses home, regardless of who they are or why theyre there. Ive worked in property management and have knocked on peoples doors thousands of times. Ive never just walked into someone's place, even when they were the ones that requested me to be there in the first place.

Too bad you didnt catch what branch he was representing. He's giving them a bad name acting like that. Knocking on the door, asking questions, making a sales pitch, etc- fine. Invading someones space like that is a no-no.

Did you get the guys name? I know a few recruiters, just curious.

He shouldn't have walking in uninvited, but it is a recruiters job to recruit after all. Seems reasonable to knock on doors and talk to kids.

Yesterday I was in my home office on the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] floor when the door bell rings. I start walking out to try and get the door but my wife was faster (she was on the first floor), so I just stopped outside my office to listen. A man asks for my oldest daughter (by name). My wife answers him “oh, she’s not home, she’s still in college”. He tells her something which I couldn't understand, and she continues to answer “she’ll be home later this week...”

At this point I feel my hair start sticking out, blood pressure going high, I tell my wife (not in English) “STOP providing information!!” as I start walking down the stairs. I reach the half point where I can see the door, my wife gives me this “what’s your problem” look, and I see an army sergeant (couldn’t tell which branch) stands outside and holding the storm door with one hand and a briefcase in the other. I ask him what does he want, he says they are checking on kids who graduated high school last year. I stopped him and told him she is not interested. He then proceeds and walks INTO the house and continues to talk “oh, that’s fine, we’re just checking to see where they are with their lives, what they are doing”.
Blood pressure keeps going up. I did NOT invite you to my house, so get the **** out!
I told him “We’re fine, thank you very much!” in a very stern and assertive tone. Seems like he got the message, he said thank you and left. My wife says he drove a car with a gov. plate.

After he left I asked my wife (kind’a pissed) “What the hell was that?? Why are you providing information to him? Who is he??”. She said “I don’t know, I guess I got confused”. She was probably intimidated by the uniform/authority.
I tell her “Do you know that if a police officer knocks on the door and starts asking question you have NO obligation to answer?”
She says “no, I didn’t know that”.
I went back to my office, took the BUST card that was in one of the recent threads (Thanks @MaverickNH) and told her to make sure she reads it A to Z.

I am still furious at what happened. Both at the chutzpa of this sergeant for coming into the house uninvited and at my wife's "free speech" [frown]

The branch of service that the "Army" Sergeant is in is the Army.

are you sure your wife didnt invite him in? I bet your daughter took the ASVAB and he was following up, when i worked in recruiting i certainly didnt go door to door for people i hadnt already put time into.

Military Recruiters are salesmen and work on quota's. If this Army Sergeant doesn't meet his quota's he gets a bad NCOER, which is a death sentence for promotion.

She didn't have to take the ASVAB test for them to come around. She could have just filled something out if they went to her school asking for more information.

are you sure your wife didnt invite him in? I bet your daughter took the ASVAB and he was following up, when i worked in recruiting i certainly didnt go door to door for people i hadnt already put time into.

Yeah, this. I have a hard time understanding how someone can just walk into a strangers home uninvited.

She definitely did not invite him in. He was standing outside holding the storm door. When I cam half way down the stairs, apparently because he heard my voice and saw my wife turning towards me but he couldn't see me (the door kind'a blocked his view), that's when he moved forward and stepped into the house.

And yes, military recruiter. Not army of course. Can't tell which branch of the military.

Why do they even have recruiters in the first place. If you're interested, go down to the local base and talk to someone, or call/ email them. No reason for them to be all salemen like. I think we have more than enough in the military as is.

On another note...

Why do you feel it necessary to speak on behalf of your ADULT daughter? Not excusing him walking into your house, but if one adult is looking to talk to another adult, it seems the responsible thing is to either grab his info to pass along to her, or give him her contact info so he can get in touch with her. It's not your life and career, it's hers, and she's an adult.

Why do they even have recruiters in the first place. If you're interested, go down to the local base and talk to someone, or call/ email them. No reason for them to be all salemen like. I think we have more than enough in the military as is.
Yea bro, not how it works.

As part of NCLB schools are required to give graduating seniors info to recruiters if they want federal money, there is an opt out option. I'll reiterate, this "mom knows best" mentality from people who have never been in the military has quite literally ****ed over many kids who would benefit financially, educationally, as well as emotionally and professionally from military service.

Mike

Last edited:

so who are you going to talk to at this local base? is there a base that is local for everyone in the country? does this base house all branches of the military that someone can talk to?

Well they need recruiters (though maybe that isn't a great name) but they don't need recruiters out going door to door.

I once was approached in a mall parking lot by a recruiter. I don't recall if it was Army or USMC. That seemed excessive. The only time I was ever contacted otherwise was when I first contacted the USAF expressing interest.

With that said, it is unclear on whether the OP's daughter had or had not already expressed some interest, and whether this was some sort of follow-up or not. If it wasn't, he was totally out of line. If it was, it seems like he was still out of line for stepping inside, but not totally out of line for coming by.

I can't wait until they outsource this to India, like a lot of other recruiting jobs. That would be hilarious to get someone on the line with thick Indian accent recruiting for US Army.

On another note...

Why do you feel it necessary to speak on behalf of your ADULT daughter? Not excusing him walking into your house, but if one adult is looking to talk to another adult, it seems the responsible thing is to either grab his info to pass along to her, or give him her contact info so he can get in touch with her. It's not your life and career, it's hers, and she's an adult.

Exactly, she is an adult, and she was an adult when they showed up in her school and she decided then that she is not interested. And had she decided to quit college after her first year and join the military - just as you said, she is an adult - she could just go to a recruiting office and sign up.

Why is going door to door out of line... There is a lot of anti-military propaganda in the northeast, especially in schools, and from parents (see the OP for example).

So let them contact her at school? Obviously what he was trying to do was get in touch with her, she doesn't live there, so no dice. Let HER tell them shes not interested after hearing what they have to say... There are both enlisted and officer options to help with school/career. But she knows this already of course, and about all the options that were never mentioned whatsoever in high school.

Mike

Last edited:
The U.S. military spent $600 million in advertising in 2007 and it has increased since then. More than half is national TV advertising and only about 10% is local. There is some evidence that the more services advertise, the more recruits all of them gain.

Advertising yields one recruit per $10,000 spent. Recruiters cost $15,000 per recruit. And bonus programs cost more. So recruiters remain a relatively cost-effective way for our volunteer forces to get the number of volunteers required to defend the nation.

My unofficial recruiting slogans:
Army Strong, Bullet Stronger
Air Force: Fly High, 1 in 15 of you will touch the sky
Marines: Too Few, Too Proud
Navy: A Global Force for Good Parties

On another note...

For the same reason the .mil goes after the young grads before they go to college and sign them up deferred and not going for 21-25 year olds who are physically stronger and smarter. Because they're dumb as a sack of rocks and will do as told by the authoritays and go and die in Iraq for nothing. I see absolutely nothing wrong in a parent intervening and offering their sage advice to their children, wanted or not. The child can still do as they please, but a parent would be negligent if they left their 18 year old barely old enough to drive kid at the mercy of a seasoned master sergeant recruiter.

this "mom knows best" mentality from people who have never been in the military has quite literally ****ed over many kids who would benefit financially, educationally, as well as emotionally and professionally from military service.

Mike
Yeah, and those are exactly the kids that will make the best life decisions, right.

I agree that the military way of life is good for some of us, but not for all.

Just wondering, are you in favor of mandatory military service?

No I'm not in favor of conscription. But whenever I hear someone bitching about no job and 60K-120K in student debt I laugh in their face.

I'm watching it happen again right now with my best friends girlfriend. She got into a 40K dollar nursing program, already has student loans, etc. Scoffs at the idea of being a nurse (and officer) in the USAF or Navy. "I could never be military." Misconceptions have screwed a lot of people. Free ride through nursing school, 2K a month for housing while going, debt relief, in exchange for 4 years of service as a nurse and OFFICER making (with BAH) 50-60K a year and full benefits. She won't even talk to an OSO.

I have zero sympathy for people who claim they were duped into service in Iraq/Afghanistan. NONE at all. I've never met another grunt who didn't want to be there or know what they were getting in to. Anyone who claims otherwise is stupid enough to deserve it.

Also worth mentioning that most of the military is rear echelon, and there are incredible educational and career opportunities within the armed forces. Educate your kids, yes. Block a recruiters efforts to contact them... that's a whole other situation

Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom