At Least 12 Dead in U.K. Shooting Spree

I saw the same thing on the board and was scratching my head. Far beit for me to insinuate anything

It could also have been that the OP was clearer in this thread and more people had already gravitated to this one. Why close the popular thread because the other was first...

I was reading in one of the articles around this event that they are going to go back and re-examine their licensing laws. How long will it be before they pass an all out ban on civilian ownership? I bet if the guy used his car to run over a ton of people they wouldn't go back and re-examine their car licensing process.

I'm hoping that the fact there is a (compared to the previous one) the UK has a more conservative government that there will be no knee jerk laws introduced.

Didn't England ban guns in the 1990s? So how did this happen?

They banned Handguns. and semi-auto rifles. Maybe even bolts.
This was committed with a shotgun. Pump and double barreled shotguns are legal in England. Not sure on the capacity of pumps though. Probably 3 at most (2+1).

Update To Original Story

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-seen-unarmed-police-early-killing-spree.html

Excerpt below. Click link for full text.

Killer outran police: Gunman aimed at unarmed officers. They ducked... and he sped away to murder 9 more

Fresh questions were raised last night over whether police could have stopped Derrick Bird after it emerged that three officers started to tail him just minutes into his lethal rampage.

One beat officer leapt into a car after hearing two taxi drivers gunned down at their rank and gave chase, but got out to give first aid when Bird blasted another cabbie.

Two further unarmed constables in a police van took up the pursuit, but when they caught up with the gunman he pulled up and pointed his shotgun at them, forcing them to stop to take cover.

Bird then sped away, and the officers in the van and Paul Goodwin, who was driving the car with the first officer, were unable to keep up with him.
Over the next hour the 52-year-old shot dead nine more people, taking the death toll to 12.

The details emerged nearly a week after the killings as Cumbria Police sought to explain why its officers were unable to stop the killer taxi driver.

The force is already facing a probable Independent Police Complaints Commission inquiry into the actions of up to 100 officers, included 42 who were armed, involved in the operation.

Last night Andy Hayman, former head of counter-terrorism at Scotland Yard, said that while individual officers behaved with great bravery, more answers were needed as to why their armed colleagues never got close enough to carry out orders to shoot on sight.

[shocked]

Back
Top Bottom