ATTN: NRA Instructors - New eLearning Changes

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
To all NRA Instructors:

I strongly suggest that you log into the NRA Instructor web portal and click on "Training Updates". It will give you a good idea of what NRA is doing and thinking with regards to their new "blended learning" program.

There is some interesting expectations in that 4 page release.

Also the classroom portion of each course can now be accomplished by the student, at their pace, on their schedule. The ability for students to take the classroom portion at anytime, day or night, weekday or weekend, will increase the pool of students for you to evaluate and instruct. No longer will you need to rent a classroom where you will spend all of your day. This allows you to focus on the student’s course and their first shot. You decide on fee schedule, pre-range process and ultimately issue the certificate.
We will keep you informed on all these aspects. In 2015, we will introduce Basic Pistol in this new format and in time, all of our training courses will have an online component.

They make some good arguments for it. Sounds like it would be a good idea in addition to the way courses are currently run, rather than instead of.

So...how do we think that MA is going to react to this? I can't see this happening ever.

So...how do we think that MA is going to react to this? I can't see this happening ever.

Especially knowing that the online exam answers will become public and posted on the internet, and even those who don't have a clue will pass the online class.

I saw somewhere that once the online training is made available that it will be the only method to participate in the classes. I can't find that statement.

Can anyone point me to where this is shown on an accredited site?

To all NRA Instructors:

I strongly suggest that you log into the NRA Instructor web portal and click on "Training Updates". It will give you a good idea of what NRA is doing and thinking with regards to their new "blended learning" program.

There is some interesting expectations in that 4 page release.

I'm not seeing the press release on the training updates page (http://trainingupdate.nra.org) What am I missing?

I'm not seeing the press release on the training updates page <deleted> What am I missing?

That site is the 4 page (when printed) description of what is coming. I just didn't think it wise to publish the webpage to the world, after all it is a link on a restricted (to NRA Instructors) website.

That site is the 4 page (when printed) description of what is coming. I just didn't think it wise to publish the webpage to the world, after all it is a link on a restricted (to NRA Instructors) website.

It doesn't appear to require a login or anything like that, and Google indexes it so it couldn't be much of a secret.

Anyway, I don't see anything about online training. I see the list of current training material, tips on becoming a better speaker, info about their Action Rifle Challenge, and ads for the advanced pistol instructor and coach's courses. I thought maybe I was in the wrong place.

Since NRA yanked the info from the website, the following may or may not make a lot of sense to you. However these are the points I picked out in reviewing the document prior to it being changed by NRA.

Here are some points I picked out:

- Bottom of Pg. 1 – “. . . in time, all of our training courses will have an online component”.
- Bottom of Pg. 3 – wrt the question about “some older students might not have computers”.
o NRA suggests that students use public library computers! <LOL> That will go over real big in these parts!! Also my library limits you to 1 hour sessions so that people can’t park there for 8 hours.
o NRA also suggests that perhaps we could provide computers, tablets, smartphones, etc. for students to use!
o Somewhere (can’t find what page) they mention that Instructors could outfit classrooms with computers and monitor classes. Great!! Just what we need, additional expenses for which there really is no way to get paid to cover those expenses. [If anyone is seriously considering doing this, please talk with me! I have a number of older computers and LCD monitors that could save you considerable money.]
o What NRA fails to realize is that some “older students” are not computer savvy and are intimidated by computers. They are not likely to do well with being forced to learn this way.
- Page 4
o NRA plans to roll out BIT to Instructors via eLearning.
o To the question of “my state doesn’t recognize online classes” NRA is in a state of denial, stating that it isn’t online training but it is a “blended learning course”.
o The list of Instructor manuals with revision dates is interesting. They otherwise never notify us that there have been updates, or provide replacement pages. Do they expect us to regularly purchase new Instructor manuals?

The NRA prices seem a bit excessive. For example, the RSO course which you take on line, is fully automated, and probably has an on-line quiz is $125. One problem with these pricing levels is they will limit students to those compelled (by licensing or other requirements) to take their classes, and will motivate licensing instructors in states like MA to gravitate towards other qualifying courses.

NRA Changed their site again and the info on eLearning is back. Haven't had time yet to read it and compare to what they took down.

After reading the info, I'm not sure that this is really such a bad idea. If we can cut the classroom portion of our classes in half (or more) and focus on the shooting instead, that means more time to observe and instruct in real time on a live firing line. It also means that we can run more classes and get more people trained. It also means that fewer instructors are needed to handle the students, so there's no reason to keep shitty instructors on the rolls just to meet demand.

As with all things it will depend on how it's actually implemented. If they want this to work they'll have to start getting serious about making sure that the instructors doing the check-outs are actually good.

After reading the info, I'm not sure that this is really such a bad idea

That largely depends on the pricing. The NRA blew it by introducing the concept without pricing.

If the pricing is comparable to what instructors now pay for the student packet, it could work out nicely. If the NRA tries to charge $50 for the on-line course, when instructors offer the course in total for $75-$100, there will be resistance and, in the case of MA, more instructors will go to state, but not NRA, certified courses.

There was a survey link in the October 27th Training Update that was emailed to current Instructors. You should consider making your thoughts known.

The "blended learning" cutover will occur early next year, and the online portion will replace the book. It will be interesting to see the fee structure. I believe that many other courses will be done this was in the future, beginning with Basic Instructor Training (BIT).

I'm not sure what the Commonwealth will have to say about the new format, but bear in mind that Masswildlife has begun offering the Basic Hunter Education course in such a format.

I don't like this idea at all. The NRA is looking for ways to make a fast buck.

Back
Top Bottom