Average price for an AR upper

SKS Ray

NES Member
I posted in the New Acquisitions for December thread about the Rock River Arms complete lower I got at Springfield this past weekend.

RRA.jpg

MVC-021F.jpg

Its new and was told I needed to use a post ban upper, which is no big deal to me, but I was wondering what the average price is for a complete upper. I'm not talking deal of the century price, just average price of what I can expect to pay.
I'm not looking to get something fancy with target barrel, etc. I just want something that will give me accurate plinking fun. I can always upgrade later if I want supreme accuracy.
I'm also wondering what type of upper I should go with. Rock River Arms to match up with the lower? Bushmaster? DPMS? I was also wondering if everything will come with the upper such as bolt, etc. so all I'll need to do is out it on and be ready to shoot. I'd like to use open sights first and then have the option of a flat top that I can put a scope on.
Like mentioned before... I'm pretty green on AR type rifles but am eager to start shooting one.[grin] Any links to info on what to look for is also apreciated.

I think I was standing right next to you(checking out the USP's) when you bought that....Far left side of the show on the wall,the dude with the MG's on the wall ?

You can buy a complete upper depending on BBL length from $400 up to $600,cheaper for used.Usually uppers do not come with the BCG and CH,unless it's specified.

As far as mating the upper and lower,I would just stick with RRA.Go see Pete in NH(Legal Transfers),he will most likely let you try the uppers on your lower.Although you might have to special order a post ban(Muzzle break and no bayo lug)BBL.

You're welcome to try mine out.

Here is Pete's site.

Last edited:
Yep, that was me. An early birthday present from my Father. I knew asking for a complete rifle would be hard and I figured a cheaply priced complete lower to start would ensure an AR type rifle in my possesion before any possible bans come into play next year.
Like I said though, I have no idea whats what as far as bolts, conponents, etc. I can build milsurp rifles including SKS' and M1s but this is a new ball game to me. I'm not even sure about the AR type rifle's functions because I've never shot one before. All I know is I now legally own the FFL required part and thats one more check off my list of Things To Do before any new AWB's take place.
But now that I have it, extra cash that wasn't spent on Christmas presents is burning a hole in my pocket and I wanna shoot! [smile]

Just check mine out this weekend.I'll be at Harvard and I can break the thing down for you and show you what I know.I got the tools to put together an upper if you decide to build one instead of buying a complete one.There are people at Harvard that know a crapload more than I do,but hey,I built my own upper :)

Oh yeah,start buying magazines.Lot's of em.Stay away from the junk 30 rounders that Four Seasons sells/or used to sell.They are way too heavy and unreliable.

Last edited:
Depends on what you want to spend, you can get kits for 425-450, (this will have extra parts but those are never bad... lol) or just lowers, if you want RRa
upper check out pete in nh, if you want to shoot highpower get a CLE (clear lake if I remember right) Dcm/cmp barrel and put it together with a A2 upper and float tube. lot of options. if you just want a plinker you can go to some of the surplus places and get an a1/sp1 upper. Usally they will headspace ok. If you need to borrow guages if you go that route let me know. (I have a set)

AR uppers can go from a few hundred to well over a grand... it depends on
what you want to do with the rifle.

If you just want something to fart around with, I'd reccomend just getting
a complete RRA upper from Pete, as Greg suggests.

Later on you can always build your own upper, once you get the tools
and the time... but you'll still have the luxury of having a spare upper and
BCG to rely on in case your project takes longer than expected.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom