awesome fly fishing experience

just as an fyi for any of you guys who have never fly fished before and have been hesitant about getting out and doing it i suggest you do!

i went out this weekend for the first time ever fly fishing and had a blast...i do alot of salt water fishing here and in florida and while its a blast to real in big fish on heavy tackle...being in the water and taking gorgeous trout and salmon on light tackle is even more rewarding

i went with a guide who lives here on the north shore but fishes out in western ma and upstate ny

if anyone wants his contact info send me a pm as im not sure what the rules are if i can post his website here or not

hes a great guy who is passionate about the sport, the environment, and about teaching you the right way to fish for trout salmon and steelhead

If you're on the North shore, you're in the middle of it.
I use a 12 wt in the surf and off the rocks.

I think in some ways may be easier to flyfish fish for stripers. Most of the time there is more room to cast, the fish are not spooky, the fly patterns are simple, and if the stripers aren't biting, the bluefish always are (on a 9wt, a big bluefish is a ride).

Check out: www.stripersurf.com

It's much easier than trout fishing.
Casting skills are faster to pick up with a saltwater setup.
A 9 or 10 weight is also much easier to cast than a 4 to 6 weight.

Here's the low cost good value setup.
A Temple Forks rod, Teton Tioga reel, 20# backing, some intermediate sinking line, 8 feet of straight 16# line as the tippet, a stripping basket and a few Deceiver and Clouser flies and you're all set.

Bass rocks and Good harbor beach usually have a wind at your back to make things a bit easier.

Just cast into the breaking waves at low light when the tide is near full.

Nobody ever thinks the fish are right there in the edge of the surf.

Waders come in handy if you're shorebound too. [wink]

Get a pair of good polarized, polycarbonate lenses. They'll cut down on the glare from the water and provide good protection from a fly in the eye.

GTOShootr is right. Big blues (monsta, gatah, chawpa blues [smile]) on a fly rod are lots of fun. You'll want to use a tapered leader (store bought or make your own) and a bite tippet (tyger wire, etc. or 40+ lb. mono or flourocarbon) to stand up to their teeth.

Last Saturday we were catching 8+ lb. blues in the inner harbor. I had a small blue on, but he stopped fighting in less than a minute. I stripped him in to find him half eaten. He was small (a couple lbs.) and had been chomped on by a larger blue. Before I lifted him out of the water, another large blue grabbed what was left of him. Pretty cool...

Check these guys out for anything you might need to know (gear too) about fly fishing. They're located in Rowley, MA:

http://firstlightanglers.com/

They've got a forum you can check out too. And ask them about fly fishing for tuna and their tuna DVD. [bow]

Welcome to the world of fly fishing!

Back
Top Bottom