Bad Brass

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
I've been reloading for a while and got into a discussion with a couple of new reloaders about what's "good" brass and what's "bad" brass. I figured I'd pass on some of what I've learned, and see what all of you have observed.

Here's my list of problem brass:

All AMERC brass is awful. I get numerous case splits with even factory ammo (especially in .30 carbine), and off-center flash holes in all calibers. This is the one brand of brass that I'll toss out regardless of the caliber.

FC (Federal) in 10mm. The regular "Federal" headstamped stuff seems OK but the nickel plated FC stuff is weak. I've gotten numerous splits both during the 1st reloading, and upon firing the reloaded cartridges.

R-P (Remington) brass in .32ACP, .380. and 10mm. This brass is very thin at the top of the case (I measured and compared it to other brands and R-P is the thinnest). As a result, after resizing, the cases won't hold a bullet. If you press the cartridge nose-first into the bench with a small amount of pressure, the bullet will move deep into the case. This drove me nuts when I was first starting out reloading. My first experience with reloading was with R-P cases in 10 mm. No matter what I did, I couldn't get the bullets to stay. Finally, I tried some Winchester brass and all was well. I have lots of once-fired R-P 10mm cases. I picked up an EGW undersized sizing die to see if I can load 'em. I had an even worse "thin brass" problem with R-P in .32 ACP and .380. It shows up with .38 SPL too, but a roll crimp will hold the bullet. I save the .38 R-P cases for bullets with a cannelure. The .45 ACP R-P cases seem to be fine.

S&B brass in .45 ACP. These have tight primer pockets. I recently loaded up about 1000 rounds of .45 ACP with mixed headstamps. I've shot about half of that batch and the only fail-to-fires that I've had were with S&B brass. I think I screwed up the primers during seating. I've been tossing the S&B brass into the bin where I keep the military stuff for when I get a primer pocket swaging tool.

The .45 ACP R-P cases seem to be fine.

S&B brass in .45 ACP. These have tight primer pockets.
I've got 1000 rounds of .45 ACP R-P +P nickle plated brass. I've got about 11 reloads out of them so far. I've had one case split. Lately I've noticed that the cartridge case near the base seems to be a bit larger on some of them (~5%) and it won't fit into my case guage (but will fit into the gun). I'm using a Dillon 550 which does not do a full-length resize, so perhaps that is the cause.

I haven't reloaded S&B 45 ACP brass in a while. When I first did that, I did recall having some tight primer pockets. No problems with my 9mm S&B brass in that regard.

I tried to load S+B brass couldn't prime the first few cases so I swaged them not much better so I tossed them cases I couldnt reload S+B 22 Hornet and Hertenberger 223 brass flash holes so tight that I BROKE the decapping rod

Here's my list of problem brass:
R-P (Remington) brass in .32ACP, .380. and 10mm. This brass is very thin at the top of the case (I measured and compared it to other brands and R-P is the thinnest). As a result, after resizing, the cases won't hold a bullet. I QUOTE]
Has anyone had this experience with R-P 9mm? I have about 300 rounds of it saved up for when I get my press.

Has anyone had this experience with R-P 9mm? I have about 300 rounds of it saved up for when I get my press.

9mm is the only caliber for which I own guns but don't reload. I do save my brass for a guy at the club that loads it and he's had no complaints. Most of that brass was R-P.

I've loaded about 2k of R-P 9mm recently and it has been fine. It is actually a nice brass to pick up too. The factory primers have a silver color and seem so soft that they almost all show primer flow on first firing, making it easy to be 100% that they are once fired.

9mm WIN is good too. I've shot a ton of that without problems.

The only brass I won't shoot is AMERC. everything else works fine in .45acp

I have brass I can no longer read the headstamp... it might be time to throw them out[grin]

Here's another to watch out for:

PMP - I was reloading a bunch of mixed-headstamp .45 ACP when I encountered this stuff. The cases were very thin near the top; so much so that they would not hold the bullets firmly enough to pass the "push test".

I sorted and tossed it into the scrap bin.

I am surprised to hear about problems with R-P .45 cases. I have not encountered those difficulties.

Then again, I'm using the moly/poly coated cast lead bullets, which may have a sufficiently larger OD to compensate.

I've also not had any problems with nickeled cases, in .38 Special +P, .45, .40 S&W or .38 Super.

Back
Top Bottom