• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Baltimore City Implodes: Police Force Collapses, Only Three Officers Patrolled Major District

I'll never get why state patrols act that way. You're a highway cop. You miss out on all the down and dirty calls that normal police deal with every shift but you act like your a special forces commando or something. I wish people would just be normal. [rofl]
For the most part, this is true. They are clueless if they have to work a domestic disturbance in progress inside a house or a real shooting or stabbing. Even a basic od signal 7 call.

I'm seeing this from a completely different perspective.

have the defund the police and other BS directed at law and order negatively impacted policing? Yes, without a doubt.

However, "people" (like normal every day people) are not signing up or interested in being police for a LOT of reasons outside of the political side of it. Barrier to entry is substantial. How long is a police academy? 4-6 months depending on where it is? That's pretty f***ing long to be treated like an a**h*** for half a year. How about the screening? It's insane. The police are now (outside of MA especially) stuck in the choir boy or sociopath paradigm - probably mostly due to the polygraph test.

Here in FL the Collier County Sheriff is the main police department for the Naples area. The hire rate for the department is lower than US Army SF school. It's not because it's harder (it's easy in comparison). It's because the criteria Collier County has set is insane and according to them 15% of applicants make it to the road. That's bullshit. I work with the county police every shift at work. They are solid dudes. But they are nothing special nor are they remarkable compared to other departments with better hiring practices.

Take FL State Police. It's about a million times cooler than the MA state police. However, the FL SP academy is 5+ months long, military style in Tallahasse. So if I wanted to become a state trooper I'd tell my family see you in 6 months while I go get treated like im in Marine boot camp. When I was 18 sure, I could tolerate it - and I did when I joined the Army. Around my 40's? f*** that.

The fire service is also heading down this road. They want people turn key ready day one. It's a bunch of bullshit. (NH is at the point where plenty of departments are hiring "firefighters" without any firefighting credentials or experience as long as they have paramedic, so that career in those towns is defacto dead, you aint a FF your a medic.)

One of the very few things MA does right over other states is police and fire hiring and training.
Yes because those jobs are supposed to be for younger people.

I'm 36 with garbage knees I am in good shape walk 3-5 miles a day in hilly terrain... work out 4 days a week..play with a mental case child all the time...but its nature people age and get slow.. you join the demanding parts of those careers when you are young and work into leadership roles as you age past the part where you cant do it anymore.

40 year olds shouldnt be trying to be beat cops like that makes no sense

I'm 36 with garbage knees I am in good shape walk 3-5 miles a day in hilly terrain... work out 4 days a week..play with a mental case child all the time...but its nature people age and get slow.. you join the demanding parts of those careers when you are young and work into leadership roles as you age past the part where you cant do it anymore.

I could pass the academies with the hardest age bracket pt standard. I just couldn't handle the immense time investment.

FSP is apparently over 9 months long total. That's insane.

We got any Baltimoreans here who can speak to how the crime rates have skyrocketed and the city is now a No Man's Land?

Cuz I remember when the NYPD went on strike and everybody expected the worst and... everything was fine. People were happier without cops rustling people on "broken window" bs, they weren't missed at all.

The fire service is also heading down this road. They want people turn key ready day one. It's a bunch of bullshit. (NH is at the point where plenty of departments are hiring "firefighters" without any firefighting credentials or experience as long as they have paramedic, so that career in those towns is defacto dead, you aint a FF your a medic.)
I wish they would turn the fire departments back into fire departments. Have the EMS and paramedics and whatever else be part of some other group. Leave fighting fires to firefighters, and stick to that type of equipment only. It's too spread out now.

I wish they would turn the fire departments back into fire departments. Have the EMS and paramedics and whatever else be part of some other group. Leave fighting fires to firefighters, and stick to that type of equipment only. It's too spread out now.
My department was so busy doing nonsense medical calls that I never in nearly 8 years did on duty ladder training/practice. We couldn't do it we were driving in circles all day for nonsense.

They are asking for it. A lot of reasons.

1000016464.jpg

The Florida Highway Patrol is not the Florida State Police. There is no Florida State Police as all the different FL state le agencies are fractured under different divisions of State government. It was weird seeing that when I moved here from MA.

FHP suprisingly has no real detectives, other than their traffic homicide Corporals. They have a very small and not well trained investigative unit called BCII which specializes in VIN and odometer fraud as well as counterfeit plates, etc. BCII occasionally works shootings or persons crimes on the Interstate or turnpike but the Sheriffs Office ( the real cops) usually assumes the investigation.

Dench is correct in that they are just highway cops writing tickets and working wrecks for the most part. In Orange, Pasco, Manatee, Brevard, and Volusia Counties, the Deputy Sheriffs don’t even work crashes, they kick everything to FHP, so God help you if you get stuck waiting for Fhp because it’s going to be hours. In those counties FHP is AAA with a badge.

The pay is generally crap and they have to supplement their income working off duty jobs. In service training after the academy is over is generally very poor (fdle minimums) unless it’s dui or traffic homicide related.

However, Their Troop C (Tampa) criminal interdiction unit (CIU) are the real Troopers and can pick out a criminal motor vehicle from the side of I-75 near Wildwood just by watching traffic. Those boys know their interdiction game.

And BTW its Black and Tan, not Brown and Tan. Technically, their uniforms are actually confederate pink.
It says state trooper on the side of the cruisers

Baltimore........the next Detroit

My stupid brother in law wants to get married in detroit next summer...

While it isn't 1950's era Detroit, nor will it be that way any time soon, Detroit is 100x better today than it was 10 and 20 years ago. I thought it was gonna circle the bowl. Some people have worked hard to reverse taht.

The problem with Deeee-troit is that it's too f'ing big. City services are spread far too thin. There needs to be some sort of way to consolidate. But downtown area? It's on the upswing.

As far as Baltimore - I hear that 70% of the police were watching the Key bridge up until last week. I guess they can get back to regular patrols.

At 30 I could’ve done it.. I 32 my knee was pretty much garbage and now with my leg yet 36 or 37 getting f***ed up and limping around. There’s not much I really can do anymore. I’m turning 39 and I just figured I’d know make it into my 50s or 60s before I was completely f***ed…

With what I know now I would’ve been good at it.. but then you got politics. I’d have to leave my own city. They won’t even f***ing hire me to be a dogcatcher and I could do that with just a bag of beef jerky and a rope and obviously a gun.

At 30 I could’ve done it.. I 32 my knee was pretty much garbage and now with my leg yet 36 or 37 getting f***ed up and limping around. There’s not much I really can do anymore. I’m turning 39 and I just figured I’d know make it into my 50s or 60s before I was completely f***ed…

With what I know now I would’ve been good at it.. but then you got politics. I’d have to leave my own city. They won’t even f***ing hire me to be a dogcatcher and I could do that with just a bag of beef jerky and a rope and obviously a gun.
Yeah i get it... but the theory behind work is you're supposed to be in a perptual upward state.

So your young full of piss and vinegar. You get put on the night shifts being trained by the good cops who dont wash out...they move to days...the guys on days bump up a level..again with some attrition..they become trainers and detectives and swat team guys etc etc. And you keep that upward pressure on the system as the guys get a little older and less physcially able to do stuff they are supposed to transition to jobs where their knowledge helps them grow and function and become mentors.

This is for all areas of business not just cops.

The new age of college wrecked that start low work your way up mentality the idea that i went to college i now should earn 120k coming out because i went to school 4 years and i took out 300 grand.

40 year old dudes shouldn't be going to the academy.

Now there is a flip side to that.

I most certainly think if you want a less aggressive more level headed force you should incentivize older guys to join.

I'm much less likely to lose my temper now in a heated situation than i was 12 years ago.

So that's an argument worth making but how can you incentivize that and compete with my salary currrntly

Yeah i get it... but the theory behind work is you're supposed to be in a perptual upward state.

So your young full of piss and vinegar. You get put on the night shifts being trained by the good cops who dont wash out...they move to days...the guys on days bump up a level..again with some attrition..they become trainers and detectives and swat team guys etc etc. And you keep that upward pressure on the system as the guys get a little older and less physcially able to do stuff they are supposed to transition to jobs where their knowledge helps them grow and function and become mentors.

This is for all areas of business not just cops.

The new age of college wrecked that start low work your way up mentality the idea that i went to college i now should earn 120k coming out because i went to school 4 years and i took out 300 grand.

40 year old dudes shouldn't be going to the academy.

Now there is a flip side to that.

I most certainly think if you want a less aggressive more level headed force you should incentivize older guys to join.

I'm much less likely to lose my temper now in a heated situation than i was 12 years ago.

So that's an argument worth making but how can you incentivize that and compete with my salary currrntly
Considering I make minimum wage as a security guard with no room for advancement ever be a cop looks better and better but that’s also a shitty job.

Last edited:
It's a joke.
Actually stole this joke from a prank radio channel. Guy called up the radio station that was pushing defund the police BLM... and he pretended he supported them.
Then went 100% into DeFunding the Fire Dept
I laugh my ass off till this day thinking about it
We had a guy running for a city position, might if been mayor this time around (he ran and lost for everything) who wanted us to get rid of our ladder truck and then purchase ground ladders to be chained to a telephone in each neighborhood.

There's actually a good chance this guys on or was on NES.

The irony is where I worked used to have 3 ladders in service. Now they have 1. I don't miss that place for a reason.

Back
Top Bottom