Barrel Re-crown

Viper22

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Last year I picked up a South Bend lathe from a fellow NESer. It took a while to get the electrical done and acquire tooling. Now that its been running and I put in some time with the machine, I decided it was time to re-crown a .22 rifle that had some rust issues on the end of the barrel & in the bore. Rough cut with a hacksaw from 24" to 18", then squared up on the lathe. The barrel retains the dovetail for the magazine tube mount. I finished it as an 11° target crown. I touched it up with some cold blue after. I can't wait to hit the range to check accuracy with the new crown.

The lathe: 1947 South Bend 9A - shown before belts were put on

With belts on: The elec. motor drives the blue belt, which drives the flat leather belt. The step pulleys are to change RPM.

Facing the barrel:

11° crown:

Finished product: before cold blue

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Awesome, love new life into the old stuff....I have been using the hand tool with very good results .
That barrel looks pretty thick for a old 22 is it a target model or just the picture angle?.
Looks awesome. I want a lathe/mill I just do not have the space and have not come across one cheap enough yet.

Viper22

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Mac - Barrel is from a microgroove Marlin 60. They are a heavier barrel for a .22, but do have a slight taper.

Fixxah - I would love to have a bridgeport, but the ceiling height in my basement is too low. As long as I stay at my current house I'll have to settle with a drill press & X Y stage OR if I can find one, a baby bridgeport. I looked into benchtop mills, but they go for more than a good bridgeport!!!

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Mac - Barrel is from a microgroove Marlin 60. They are a heavier barrel for a .22, but do have a slight taper.

Fixxah - I would love to have a bridgeport, but the ceiling height in my basement is too low. As long as I stay at my current house I'll have to settle with a drill press & X Y stage OR if I can find one, a baby bridgeport. I looked into benchtop mills, but they go for more than a good bridgeport!!!

This,or my electrical in my house is under powered!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey, I have one of those. Is that a 10"? Mine is a 9".

I'm seriously considering buying a Green Mountain chambered AR barrel and profiling it myself.

Did you use the compound to get the 11 degrees? Did you finish with a muzzle lap?

Viper22

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
This,or my electrical in my house is under powered!

That too. The baby bridgeport runs on 110, which is why I'd love to get one.

Hey, I have one of those. Is that a 10"? Mine is a 9".

I'm seriously considering buying a Green Mountain chambered AR barrel and profiling it myself.

Did you use the compound to get the 11 degrees? Did you finish with a muzzle lap?

My machine is a 9" I did use the compound for the 11° cut. I'm running the old style lantern tool post, so I was only using 1/4" tooling. Harbor Freight carbide LH bit that I ground myself. I went back in and put a 0.015 x 45° chamfer from the bore to the crown. Cut from the bore out to not push burrs into the rifling. I used red & grey scotchbrite to do a quick polish before bluing.

Viper22

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
So here is the finished product. Since I shortened the barrel to 18" I also had to shorten the mag tube. I had to chuck the knurled knob in the lathe and face that. Had to remove about 0.250-0.275" to get the knob flush with the barrel.

Fixxah

NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0

1776 has a bridgeport for sale. $850

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
So here is the finished product. Since I shortened the barrel to 18" I also had to shorten the mag tube. I had to chuck the knurled knob in the lathe and face that. Had to remove about 0.250-0.275" to get the knob flush with the barrel.

that looks cool flush like that.

Top Bottom