"Basic Course" for hunting...question

I was in the Marine Corps for about 5 years...have my concealed carry permit for NC completed all my forms for firearms permit in mass, and have been hunting for a long time. I'm not some idiot trying to get there license without knowing what they're doing. My question is does any of this experience and knowledge count? Or is it useless because there was no "hunting" clause added to my million certs. Thanks guys.

MA has strange laws. I pulled this from the abstracts...

Hunting or Sporting licenses foranyone aged 18 years or older can be purchased​
only if (1) proofof a previous hunting license issued prior to 2007 from anyjurisdiction is provided; (2) proof of a certificate of completionof a Basic Hunter Education course issued by any jurisdictionin North America is provided; or (3) an affidavit stating thatthe applicant has either a Basic Hunter Education Certificateor has purchased a Hunting/Sporting license prior to 2007 is
provided.

BTW - Thank you for your service.

No you still have to take the hunters safety course and if you want to bow hunt, the additional one.

It shall be unlawful for any resident or non-resident to hunt for any bird or mammal in the commonwealth unless such person has successfully completed a hunter education course as prescribed by this section, or unless such person held a license to hunt before January 1, 2007.

I was in the Marine Corps for about 5 years...have my concealed carry permit for NC completed all my forms for firearms permit in mass, and have been hunting for a long time. I'm not some idiot trying to get there license without knowing what they're doing. My question is does any of this experience and knowledge count? Or is it useless because there was no "hunting" clause added to my million certs. Thanks guys.

Keep an open mind here. Just because you have lots of experience with marksmanship, defensive pistol training, and even probably combat because you were in the marines (I'm at 19 years in the Army now) and hunted previously in another state does not necessarily mean you know diddly squat about hunting laws and hunting ethics. I took the course last spring and learned ALOT about hunting laws and land permissions etc. Again keep an open mind when you take the class.....you may be surprised.....and then you will have your "million and first" certificate.

Last edited:

Take the class. It's free, and will be helpful if you ever want to get your hunting license anywhere else. Oh, and the 'required' thing.

I too thank you for your service in the Marines. Semper Fi (can I say that? I didn't serve). What about "Oorah!" Can we civvies say that?

The 'regular' hunter ed covers all types of hunting. The bow or black powder courses are optional additional courses you can take if you want to learn more. They are not required to participate in those seasons.

No you still have to take the hunters safety course and if you want to bow hunt, the additional one.

It shall be unlawful for any resident or non-resident to hunt for any bird or mammal in the commonwealth unless such person has successfully completed a hunter education course as prescribed by this section, or unless such person held a license to hunt before January 1, 2007.

The bow or black powder courses are optional additional courses you can take if you want to learn more. They are not required to participate in those seasons.

I was confused there for a sec when he posted that. I don't bow hunt but I didn't think I needed to take a special course in bow hunting if I did indeed want to hunt with a bow.

Go to the MassWildlife website; click on the Education tab.

There will be a list of available courses, though most will be "Full". MOST courses allow you to walk-in on the first night, as there are often no-shows from the pool of people that have registered. If you decide to walk in, and there's contact info for the Lead Instructor, contact him/her and make sure it's copacetic.

Not sure from your original post, but to gun -hunt you need a valid LTC or FID. For bow, or primitive (black powder) those are not required.

Good hunting.

- - - Updated - - -

I was confused there for a sec when he posted that. I don't bow hunt but I didn't think I needed to take a special course in bow hunting if I did indeed want to hunt with a bow.

Courses for bow/primitive are likely to be required in the next few years, according to rumors.

you say you have been hunting for a long time didnt you get a license? The beginners guide to hunting has a link to the course and how to get into one..

Back
Top Bottom