Be careful at the gun shop

I understand what you mean. But shouldn't it be in this order?

1. Magazine Out

2. Action is Open

3. Chamber is Visibly Empty

[wink]

Sorry, I'm still a newbie and get upset with myself if I do not make sure the gun is "safe" within that order.

Proceedurally yes, thats the way its done with the addition of placing the gun on safe..... you are correct. Contextually, I wasn't actually trying to describe the proceedure but merely stating the condition of the firearm.

I think we both get the picture.

When firing open bolt subguns,the bolt will remain closed if it doesn't strip off a round from the magazine or if its empty.
I normally don't remove the magazine until I have opened the bolt and locked it back to see if there are remaining rounds in the magazine to be fired. Once the mag is empty, I open the bolt, remove the mag check the chamber and return the gun to the bench...."on safe".

My proceedure for a semi auto handgun or rifle is, mag out, open action, place gun on safe and check the chamber.

Last edited by a moderator:
Contextually, I wasn't actually trying to describe the proceedure but merely stating the condition of the firearm.

I think we both get the picture.

I konw, but I saw my moment to "shine" a little bit and took it. Trust me, I have very few of them. [wink]

When firing open bolt subguns,the bolt will remain closed if it doesn't strip off a round from the magazine or if its empty.
I normally don't remove the magazine until I have opened the bolt and locked it back to see if there are remaining rounds in the magazine to be fired. Once the mag is empty, I open the bolt, remove the mag check the chamber and return the gun to the bench...."on safe".

You're lucky. I would have no clue as I have never fired a sub gun. But I"ll take your word for it.

Paul

I wonder if a police report was filed. Was a law broken you think?

If a report were filed, maybe they could get a fingerprint off it to find the guy if he was printed in the past (criminal or has LTC).

I may be wrong here but I thought it was a law, to look at a gun at a store you need to have a FID or LTC. I was told that by a gun store owner once.

I know you need it to buy but I thought looking it was needed also. Right / wrong ???

I may be wrong here but I thought it was a law, to look at a gun at a store you need to have a FID or LTC. I was told that by a gun store owner once.
I'm unaware of any such law. However, it is the general practice of many gun stores not to let someone handle a gun if they do not have an LTC or FID.

I know you need it to buy but I thought looking it was needed also. Right / wrong ???

Then they need a bouncer at the door to Dick's Sporting Goods and other places that sell guns among other things.

And I've broken the law many times. Hell I'll even let people with no licence handle and shoot my guns under my supervision.

I belive most stores are just covering thier asses when they card you as you come to the counter.

-Weer'd Beard

I think I know the gun shop of which we speak. The owner's a good guy, but he runs a small shop and is frankly afraid of the legal ha$$les if something went amiss. Otherwise, the gentleman's very helpful, and has a good selection of guns, ammo, etc.

I've just got so whenever I go into any gunshop in MA new to me, if need be, I just whip the license out to show the guy/gal behind the counter I mean no harm. There are some whackos out there, and usually they have no right to handle any gun to begin with, due to their past crimes and problems. Massachusetts seems to be full of these people lately.

The suicide angle sounds right to me. The "customer" probably had second thoughts...

Ya it was Fred from the now closed "Uncle Freds" that told me that. The other shops in this area (Western, Mass.) do it also.

I guess it's a CYA thing, I don't blam them, to many crazys out there now.

Back
Top Bottom