Be carefull changing papers

Saturday a F350 utility truck backed out of a parking space at Dunkin Donuts and broadsided my Dodge quad cab as I was driving by. Ripped the tire and crushed the mag rim. Smashed the whole rear quater of the truck.

The driver barely spoke english but had a valid Ma. drivers license. He then started writting all his information and after about 5 minutes gave me his papers and started to walk away.

I said hold it right there and took away his license and registration and copied it myself. Then I walked around his truck checking the numbers.

Later when I checked it against his paper he gave me, the numbers were all wrong for the plate and the address and every thing else was wrong.

I have a bunch of trucks on the road for my company and we have had 8 accidents this year alone.

Not one of them was our fault. Every one of them was with a person that couldn't speak english. Every single one of them tried to give us bad information. 5 of them we had to call the police, unregistered, uninsured, bad plates, old sticker, unlicensed, fake license, you name it they hit us..

Get the drivers name, address, DOB and license number. Check the date on the registration, match the plate number, check the plate sticker and the window sticker. Check the owners name on the registration and if he isn't driving it call the police.

I had an uninsured driver hit my house (yeah) about 6 months after we moved in ... she was driving delivery for a pizza shop in town and lied about having insurance. SOP for me now in case ANY accident occurs is to call the cops immediately.

I always told anyone who had an motor vehicle accident to notify the police and have an official report taken and filed. More often than not, the settle between ourselves never works out. Once everyone leaves the scene (at least in NJ), no official report could be filed. Officers must respond to the scene to file such a report. Without an official police report, insurance claims are difficult to file. Don't let the fact that the damage may be minor. Once the estimate is given by the body shop, it might not be that minor.

In addition, unless you deaa with the documents on a daily basis, you probably will not know what information to gather. Much easier to have the police get it all.

Chapter 90 Sec 11 excerpt

Any operator who knowingly collides with or causes injury to any person or damage to any property shall, upon the request of the person injured or the person owning or in charge of the property damaged, plainly exhibit to such person his license and, if required under the provisions of this chapter to carry the certificate of registration for the vehicle upon his person or in the vehicle, such certificate.

Always copy the info directly from the other operator's license and registration.

Also copy the VIN on the dashboard at the left bottom of the windshield. This should be unobstructed and in plain view.

Lots of fraud going on these days, glad you caught it before he took off.

But the point is, many of these documents aren't valid. False DL's and insurance documents are in amny case fraudulent. You would be surprised how good some of these documents can look. It is only slight clues that will give them away.

Plus the fact that the responding officer can at least check the validity of the DL and registration before leaving the scene.

But the point is, many of these documents aren't valid. False DL's and insurance documents are in amny case fraudulent. You would be surprised how good some of these documents can look. It is only slight clues that will give them away.

Plus the fact that the responding officer can at least check the validity of the DL and registration before leaving the scene.

Question, insurance wise aren't you covered simply by obtaining his/her license plate and type of car? Granted we are in the advent of cell phones but if the other driver gets aggressive and doesn't want to comply, not much you can do. My wife got T-Bone a 2 years ago by a truck, and she could not find her cell phone (It was actually knocked out of the car though a window because of the impact) and the guy wasn't giving her anything. Lucky for my wife an ambulance was behind her and called the cops. I have always told her that if the driver is being an idiot get the license plate and not confront a man and get hurt. A car can be replaced, not a life.

Fee

I've always got a cheap digital camera in my car. I hate having to write anything down. Photograph the plates, the car, the VIN, the drivers license, the driver, the scene, the insurance papers, everything.

Ken

In MA, the police may not respond if it's a minor accident. In Boston, the policy used to be if there is no injury and neither car has to be towed, the police would not respond or do a report. I don't know if that has changed. If there is no injury and neither car has to be towed the operators have to exchange information, but once they do, they are free to leave. You only have to file a RMV accident report if there is more than $1,000.00 worth of damage. Which actually is pretty easy to reach.

Always notify your insurance company, even if the other person offers to settle directly. Get it on the record and let the insurance company know that you are NOT filing a claim at this time.

Gary

Our policy: Under $1000 damage, no PI, no other prop damage, and no tow, we will respond and assist in paper exchange. No report but an incident is created and master cards entered into our computer system.

Back
Top Bottom