Beginner rifle training techniques

Prepper

NES Member
While I've had a simple Ruger 10/22 (scoped) for a few years, I'm still a relative beginner when it comes to rifles. What are good ways to become more proficient with it? I'd like to make my times at the range more productive somehow, rather than just guessing and doing whatever.

First, I'm not even 100% sure that I'm holding it the best way. Is there a good description (with video or pics) somewhere?

Also, do most people practice with a rest, or holding it freely while standing, or both? I've been trying both, and I'm much happier with the results when using a rest (but is that "cheating" somehow?). What makes a good rest? All I've been using so far is one that's designed for a pistol which I then place on the table, then put the barrel on. I bet I can do better though but I'm confronted with a choice of bipods, monopods, shooting sticks, sand bags, etc. What should I get and practice with? (Note that I probably wouldn't be able to do any practice from an on-my-stomach position at the range... either sitting or standing, so that needs to be considered when choosing what I buy.)

Also, any good classes that would help out, something preferably no more than a day in length? I don't have loads of money to spend so these multi-day courses would be a bit much. And I'm not looking for something "advanced" like combat training, etc., just good shooting techniques to improve accuracy.

While I've had a simple Ruger 10/22 (scoped) for a few years, I'm still a relative beginner when it comes to rifles. What are good ways to become more proficient with it? I'd like to make my times at the range more productive somehow, rather than just guessing and doing whatever.

First, I'm not even 100% sure that I'm holding it the best way. Is there a good description (with video or pics) somewhere?

Also, do most people practice with a rest, or holding it freely while standing, or both? I've been trying both, and I'm much happier with the results when using a rest (but is that "cheating" somehow?). What makes a good rest? All I've been using so far is one that's designed for a pistol which I then place on the table, then put the barrel on. I bet I can do better though but I'm confronted with a choice of bipods, monopods, shooting sticks, sand bags, etc. What should I get and practice with? (Note that I probably wouldn't be able to do any practice from an on-my-stomach position at the range... either sitting or standing, so that needs to be considered when choosing what I buy.)

Also, any good classes that would help out, something preferably no more than a day in length? I don't have loads of money to spend so these multi-day courses would be a bit much. And I'm not looking for something "advanced" like combat training, etc., just good shooting techniques to improve accuracy.

How about $70 for a 2 day course?

Is that within your budget?

And, we should have one in YOUR immediate area come next April 19th.

If you're interested, contact Crak, Dwarven1 or myself.

Sure, $70 is easily within my budget. Please PM me any info. I frequently see courses that cost around $500, which will be hard to do since I could buy another gun with that money instead.

April's a way's away, so until then I'm still eager to find other ways and courses to improve my skills.

Do a search on this forum for Appleseed, or check out www.harvardriflemen.com. I run several free classes a month at Harvard Sportsmen's Club. This Monday (the 10th) is the last Monday we'll be doing it due to lack of light, starting at 5:30pm sharp. We'll also be doing it on Sunday the 30th starting at 2pm.

Hey those Appleseed events look good! I didn't see a cost anywhere for the ones you have at Harvard before sunset. Free, right?

I'm not sure I can make this Monday, but Sundays at 2pm is good for me. I'd probably bring a 10/22 first with scope. I don't have the suggested number of magazines... only 2 10 rounds. And, the 10/22 doesn't have a sling. I won't be able to buy those before Monday (Four Seasons is closed).

Later, I'd probably want to bring my AR-15 which I recently bought but haven't had a chance to use since I just recently joined a range where I can use it. I don't have a scope for that yet. (The AR is all set for mags and slings.)

How's that sound?

Two 10 rounders will be fine, Prepper. As for slings, you can go to Dicks; I noticed that they have swivels and studs there. A little more expensive than MidwayUSA, but if you're in a hurry...

Here's a complete rundown on the "Liberty Trainer Rifle" courtesy of Nickel's post on www.appleseedinfo.org.

Nickle said:
First, I started with Ruger 10/22 Carbines.

Add Tech Sights. Add DPMS Rapidex knob, for ease of adjusting (optional).
http://www.tech-sights.com/ruger3.htm $55.00
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=353544 $8.49

Install sling swivels studs, detachable swivels and a USGI M1 Garand type sling.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=366960 $2.49
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=270453 $6.79
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=777813 $10.29, black, also comes in green.

Add extended bolt release.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=662086 $4.49

Replace bolt release and hammer (or rework existing ones). I reworked mine. Not for the inexperienced.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=145851 $35.99

Add a BoreSnake, sight adjusting tool and spare mags.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=260083 $14.49
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=260328 $6.99
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=252579 $12.99 each. I recommend at LEAST 3 of them.

Do those sling swivel studs require drilling into my stock? I saw those at Dick's today but was hesitant to get them until I figured out how I put them in.

That extended bolt release looks interesting; I didn't know those existed. Are they easy for the non-gunsmiths to put in? All I know how to do with it is field strip it for cleaning.

Yes they do, and yes they are.

One stud screws into the stock and one you drill a through-hole, then drill a larger hole on the inside that the machine nut sets into when you screw the stud into it.

To put the bolt-release in, you have to disassemble the trigger group. If you're mechanical at all, you can put it back together without a problem. There are some nice drawings & directions on rimfirecentral.com, and the exploded view in the manual (also available for download from ruger.com) help, too.

And both are SO worth having.

I hope the studs come with some instructions on what to drill where. I'll place an order for them.

Any particular reason why a "USGI M1 Garand type sling" is recommended? Other than it looks simplistic (compared to others that have foam pads and cost more), I don't know what makes that better.

Any particular reason why a "USGI M1 Garand type sling" is recommended? Other than it looks simplistic (compared to others that have foam pads and cost more), I don't know what makes that better.

Because it is the most durable and easiest to use sling that can actually be used to support and steady a rifle while you shoot.

The crap you see advertised as slings on hunting catalogs and stores are nothing but carrying straps and utterly useless as shooting aid.

The other practical sling that does this is the US M1907 leather sling. Unfortunately, there are many commercial repros of it that are definitely not mil-spec and will come apart after a few hard uses as a shooting sling. When you buy a GI surplus M1 canvas sling, you know it will last. And if it breaks, they are cheap enough that having five or six on hand is no big deal.

How to use the M1 sling

How to use the M1907 sling.

They do have instructions, Prepper, right in the package.

Jose, those are GREAT sites showing how the slings are used; THANK YOU so much for posting them. Especially the leather one... I'd bought that years ago for my 10/22 but never did know how to use it to it's fullest advantage.

I love this site. [grin]

Ross, you're welcome.

I didn't post the source site because it uses frames and I didn't want people not finding those pages. The guy who made up those instructions is Ray Brandes from a little town in the FL panhandle. He makes some kick ass shooting gear, including a faithful repro of the O'Hare rear sight micrometer for M1903s.

Here's his full site: Ray-Vin.com

Thanks, Jose. Looks like his stuff is geared mostly to the highpower shooter, but there's still a lot of interesting stuff there.

Ross

nstall sling swivels studs, detachable swivels and a USGI M1 Garand type sling.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=366960 $2.49
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=270453 $6.79
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=777813 $10.29, black, also comes in green.

Midway is backordered on these swivels and studs until it's too late for that Appleseed event. I did searches and haven't found them online anywhere else except for one places that wanted about $25 for them. Any other ideas? I can't get back to Dick's anytime soon.

They were in stock right up until I click the final "Place order" button. Then, it says the page is not available. I refresh several times, still nothing. I click on cart, and it shows the studs backordered for several more weeks (thanks for not telling me when I ordered!). I tried back again today, having gotten the studs from Dicks', so I only wanted to order the sling. The sling was in stock right up until, you guessed it, I clicked Place Order. Then suddenly it was on backorder.

Midway's web site has got to be the worst I've ever seen for any major company. It makes me not want to do any business with them (not that I can anyway... it keeps failing every time I try to place an order! What a bunch of morons shooting themselves in the foot like that!)

Is there any place else I can get that same type of sling? I tried searching for it, but all I come up with is different Midway sites in different languages.

Thanks, ordered it, hopefully it'll get here in time.

I just learned that I'll need to pick up daughter from a camping trip Sunday afternoon but I don't know the time yet. If I can't make this one, I may have to make the next one.

Do a search on this forum for Appleseed, or check out www.harvardriflemen.com. I run several free classes a month at Harvard Sportsmen's Club. This Monday (the 10th) is the last Monday we'll be doing it due to lack of light, starting at 5:30pm sharp. We'll also be doing it on Sunday the 30th starting at 2pm.

Wow, I might take you up on this next week.

Now, James, go read post # 6 in this thread, and get your order into MidwayUSA and turn that sucker into a Liberty Trainer rifle. You won't regret it. It makes a good rifle even better.

Fred is some slow sending stuff. I wish I had caught your problem before, as DPMS has them.

Now I find out... I just ordered the sling from him this weekend. (I saw a guy on eBay selling them too, maybe that would have been faster.)

Now, James, go read post # 6 in this thread, and get your order into MidwayUSA and turn that sucker into a Liberty Trainer rifle. You won't regret it. It makes a good rifle even better.

Heh, before I read this reply just now, I'd taken some time to follow threads from here, over to rimfire central, over to the appleseed forums, and over to the LTR thread. And guess what? A few hours ago, I'd racked up the whole list at miday, except for the Volq bolt return/ hammer combo and sling (both out of stock, watiing on backorder). You guys are killin the supply on these things! [wink]

Also looks like the tech sites are on backorder too. They look great, but with astigmatism, peep sights are really irritating.

The gun shoots just fantastic out of the box though. No ftf, fte, and this is with Dick's remington bulk $12/500 junk. half inch at 25 yards, and 5-6 inches or so with the stock sights and my old eyes. I'm sure the rifle could do better, I just can't see the target that well. [laugh]

You guys are killin the supply on these things!
I know. [smile] Ain't it great?? Every LTR built is another shooter trying to make Rifleman. What a wonderful idea!

Also looks like the tech sites are on backorder too. They look great, but with astigmatism, peep sights are really irritating.[snip]
I just can't see the target that well. [laugh]
I understand that they're going to be coming out with a version of the tech sights that include a weaver rail in December. Going to have to get me one... And I can sympathize about the eyes. I'm no eagle-eye, either. [sad] Scopes are the way to go for me.

I sat down today and looked at how to get those swivel bases into the Ruger 10/22. The front base should be behind the ring that holds the stock to the barrel, right? How far would be good? An inch (or two)? I was hoping the front base could somehow replace the screw that's already there, but the hole is too small. And the back base would be 2 inches away from the end?

I've never needed to make "through holes" or countersink holes before, let alone in a gun, so I don't want to mess it up. Is there a better description than what comes with the Uncle Mike's swivels and bases?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom