Beginner rifle training techniques

Heh, I dropped $200 on Brownells this morning for spare parts and some accessories for the AR. Stuff like a quick-disconnect pin for the pivot, a tool to make the handguard removal easier, 3-Bucc brasscatcher, more Otis patches for the bore, and such.

All because of you Ross. (^_^)

I'd just like to thank Crak for helping me get going with the basics today out at Harvard. First time for me with any real rifle instruction and also first time with a new acquisition that I had never used before today. Hopefully I didn't embarrass myself too much. Also met a couple of other friendly folks out there. Good time for sure.

To anyone who ever considered attending, just do it. It's well worth the time.

Thanks for the help Crak! You're a gentleman and a scholar. [rockon]

Well I shot at the inch targets all weekend with the rifle. How do you guys even see those things? All I see are six dots.

Well, at least I dremeled out my bolt return thingy, so I can just rack the bolt to have it return, that was a nice satisfying project.

Well I shot at the inch targets all weekend with the rifle. How do you guys even see those things? All I see are six dots.
Practice, my son, practice. Don't forget, you're looking for a fuzzy blur on top of your front sight blade - the sight is what should be crisp and clear. You're focusing in IT, remember?

And if you really have eyesight problems, a Weaver V7 scope works well. [smile]

Those Tech Sights are sold out but I can place an order and wait. They have TSR100 and TSR200. It looks like the TSR100 has the dual apertures like the AR15 (but not adjustable elevation from the rear sight?), and the TSR200 has just one aperture but has adjustable elevation. Which is better to order? Note that I also have an AR15 (and a just-purchased cosmoline-covered SKS that will take a while before I can use that). It'd be nice for a trainer rifle to be as similar as possible to what I'd really have to use against actual BG's. So, TSR100?

Another vote for the 100. Mark was using a 200 Saturday and still had to use a screwdriver to turn the rear, plus the whole thing is higher which means you can run out of room adjusting the front sight.

Another vote for the 100. Mark was using a 200 Saturday and still had to use a screwdriver to turn the rear, plus the whole thing is higher which means you can run out of room adjusting the front sight.
+2 - been there, done both... will be buying the 100 for my future Liberty Trainer Rifle builds.

Thanks everyone, I ordered the TSR100. I'm not sure when it'll get here since they are back ordered. (Sorry that I couldn't make it to Harvard last Saturday... we had a family emergency.)

Back
Top Bottom