bending your AK receiver - ancient Russian technologies revealed (pic heavy)

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
Warning: the following is for entertainment purposes only. Do not attempt to duplicate or imitate, you may get killed, arrested, possibly deported, don’t try it at home or anywhere else!

After reading another depressing issue of Pravda on all the problems comrade Obama is having with apparatchiks in the congress I passed out and woke up with a burning desire to build an AK. A few swigs of vodka helped with the burning, but desire to scratch build an AK remained. I ordered a few flats with pre-bent top rails. Flats go for about $20 and +$5 gets ‘em rails bent. Considering how much bending and grinding needed to get them done, I figured it’s well worth the $5. The jigs to bend flats are considerably more expensive. Some go for almost $300. You may think that it’s crazy how these capitalist pigs are taking advantage of the proletariat, but I was thinking that for the same money I can order another AK kit. So here I am botching a jig together.

I am starting with hefty angle iron that’s almost ¼” thick. If you think that you can take your bed frame apart to make yours, you are as clueless as Putin reading the Bill of Rights. … unless we are talking about the bed frame of your mother in-law which is reinforced for her weight. In that case, you better have an AK built before she realizes that you sawed her bed in half. I am using 3/8” bolts on each side to control the width of the base. The easy way to accomplish this is to grab scraps of the black iron pipe (from that spare moonshine still) that fits over the bolts and cut them to about 32mm, which should be around the width of your AK trunions. You can use them as spacers to consistently get the desired width.

Image00007.jpg

The bending jig includes two bars that sandwich the receiver flat. I am using Aluminum because it’s easy to machine and cast. Steel would last considerably longer, but we are not setting up an AK factory, eh comrade? Unlike beer cans used to distribute watered down, tasteless beer, some casting aluminum alloys have compressive strength that’s close to steel, however they are as brittle as my balance after Friday’s trip to a liquor store when I’m as high as the sputnik. I’m using my own mix of pistons, lawn chairs, AR lowers and 7 herbs and spices for a custom alloy which is so secret that even I don’t know what it is.

You may also ask, why this comrade having a milling machine, not machine bars from solid Ali stock? Well, it’s almost impossible to find good, hard alloy in billet form. Also, while milling a bar, it’s hard to maintain uniform thickness from end to end. It’s possible if you got an excellent mill with no play, sharp bits and wide clamping setup. If you do, you can probably afford to just buy a good AK.

Before casting the two bars, I grab a thick steel plate and make sure that it’s level on the ground. It helps keeping molten aluminum leveled.

Image00001.jpg

Then I fire up my Siberian coffee maker. If you think that burner is small … it is. I got a much bigger one. However, even this little bugger wolfs down up to 10 liters of kero / hour which is … a lot of gallons. Don’t fret, we won’t use much, little sh1t is quick to produce lots of heat and more noise than me dual wielding Mosin Nagants.

Image00003.jpg

Image00004.jpg

Image00006.jpg

Image00005.jpg

I’m using petrobond foundry sand on either end of the base to keep molten Ali in.

Image00002.jpg

After I cast top bar, I am taking the jig apart and add a washer for each bolt.

Image00008.jpg

Washer adds about 2.5 mm to the width. With Ali shrinking, that will give me a bottom bar that’s slightly wider than the top bar, so that receiver can wrap around it as it plunges into the base. Here is the final bottom bar gravity cast.

Image00009.jpg

Image00010.jpg

After both bars are cast I milled the tops slightly flat to keep it classy, also it helps with drilling straight holes through.

Image00011.jpg

First I put the receiver flat over the top bar and mark where four bolts will go. It doesn’t have to be precise, just as long as you can position the flat perfectly in the middle later.

Image00012.jpg

Image00014.jpg

Image00013.jpg

I drill the holes through the top part first. Because top bar is slightly thinner than the bottom bar, I clamp them in the base jig and use spacers made from scraps of sheet metal to keep them aligned perfectly.

Image00015.jpg

Then I drill in to mark where the holes will go into the bottom bar. Once the holes are marked, it’s easier to drill the holes once the bar is out of the jig. Now we should have well aligned top and bottom bars.

Image00016.jpg

Image00017.jpg

Receiver flats have dimples that will get squeezed against the sides of the bar when we are bending the flat. Thus, I milled the channels so that I can pull the receiver off the top bar. Again, it doesn’t have to be super precise, they could be dremelled out or chiseled out with hammer and a sickle.

Sandwich the flat between the top and the bottom bar. With bolts finger tight, use a caliper to measure how much flat is protruding from under the top bar. It has to be perfectly even on both sides. Use a small hammer to tap sides to get it right. Tighten the bolts and grease the jig up. I’m using whatever heavy grease I found first, in this case black colored Vaseline. Position bar/flat sandwich into the base jig and tighten the bolts so that the bottom bar can still slide down under pressure.

Image00018.jpg

Pressure needed to bend 1mm flat is not that great. Here I’m using 6tonne A press from HF (made with pride by Obama’s friends in China), which is the cheapest press you can get. That’s plenty of pressure and the entire process of going down should take less time than I can wash down a few potatoes down with a bottle of vodka, i.e. under a minute.

Image00020.jpg

One greasy receiver, ready to go.

Image00021.jpg

I have not seen results from other bending jigs of similar design. The bends don’t look super sharp, like you would get on a press brake. They look adequate, so we’ll see how everything else will line up.
Coming up next: spot welding rails and heat treating with vodka!

Nice job!

I think you're going to have to sharpen up the bends and flatten out the bottom some before you install the center support.

Those type of bending tools are available through a few different mfgrs and are all steel with alignment pins for attaching the flat.

You may also want to try the really poormans bending jig there is less labor involved with excellent results.
http://www.gunco.net/forums/attachments/f43/4361d1117238270-very-poor-mans-bend-jig-lol-dscf0984.jpg
http://www.gunco.net/forums/attachments/f43/4363d1117238270-very-poor-mans-bend-jig-lol-dscf0975.jpg
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/66/dscn4518.jpg

Research the 555TH jig it is made from peices of flat stock bolted together so after you bend just unbolt and the jig comes apart without getting stuck pn the mag dimples.

http://www.gunco.net/forums/attachments/f163/2899d1110302191-555th-jig-plans-555thjig_print.pdf

The problem now is you can't build just one![smile]

Last edited:
Very, very cool! with the recent threads on building AK's I have a very strong urge to do one. I get the feeling you are the same type of person as me... GO BIG OR GO HOME

Last edited:
You may also want to try the really poormans bending jig there is less labor involved with excellent results.
http://www.gunco.net/forums/attachments/f43/4361d1117238270-very-poor-mans-bend-jig-lol-dscf0984.jpg
http://www.gunco.net/forums/attachments/f43/4363d1117238270-very-poor-mans-bend-jig-lol-dscf0975.jpg
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/66/dscn4518.jpg

Research the 555TH jig it is made from peices of flat stock bolted together so after you bend just unbolt and the jig comes apart without getting stuck pn the mag dimples.

http://www.gunco.net/forums/attachments/f163/2899d1110302191-555th-jig-plans-555thjig_print.pdf

thank you for those references! I was looking at similar jigs before getting this one on. The usual issue with "poor-man" jigs is that you still need to put it either time/patience on getting them done right or experience knowing the faults or compromise the quality, so very often they turn out to be bomzh (homeless-man level setups) I was shooting for a commisar grade to get it right with whatever things I had at hand.

1. I don't know why people would want to weld the end pieces together. Having bolts on either side helps to adjust the squeeze and ease extraction of the bent piece. If you ever loose the ram and need to make another one (which happens a lot to me) having bolts saves the trouble. Like I said, it's awfully hard to make the ramming piece perfectly parallel and perfectly flat on each side. And then still, keeping each end the same width is very hard while you do that. Patience is not my virtue. I think that more bolts is better than one bolt. If you got one bolt, the jig may flex around its axis.

2. Even with thick bottom piece, I noticed some bowing (to the sides) It was very minute, but here, we are bending 1mm flat, so even .1mm is a lot. Next time around I'd put "deep throat" clamps to keep the middle of the bottom jig at the same width.

3. Bowing of the ramming piece. The great thing about cast aluminum is that it doesn't flex much at all. It would rather shatter than bend. With steel top, you got to have a heck of a tight bolts, to keep the top ram from bowing or have a special piece that connects press pin with the ram, so that pressure is evenly distributed across entire top piece.

I finally liberated the rear trunnion from the evil rivets and checked for alignments. Knock on Romy wood, everything looks square so far:

GEDC1774.jpg

GEDC1773.jpg

GEDC1771.jpg

The problem now is you can't build just one![smile]

you can say that again, I feel like a crack addict, keeping secrets from my wife, eyeing another kit before even finishing this one.

I really like Flintoid's idea about setting up a public workshop (like those ignite, geek rent-shops) where general public could come and build their AK. That would be riot. Martha would have a heart attack. If that Rosental guy have problems with gun-shows, now you got DIY shops that allow people to make AKs at fraction of the cost.[laugh]

thank you for those references! I was looking at similar jigs before getting this one on. The usual issue with "poor-man" jigs is that you still need to put it either time/patience on getting them done right or experience knowing the faults or compromise the quality, so very often they turn out to be bomzh (homeless-man level setups) I was shooting for a commisar grade to get it right with whatever things I had at hand.

1. I don't know why people would want to weld the end pieces together. Having bolts on either side helps to adjust the squeeze and ease extraction of the bent piece. If you ever loose the ram and need to make another one (which happens a lot to me) having bolts saves the trouble. Like I said, it's awfully hard to make the ramming piece perfectly parallel and perfectly flat on each side. And then still, keeping each end the same width is very hard while you do that. Patience is not my virtue. I think that more bolts is better than one bolt. If you got one bolt, the jig may flex around its axis.

2. Even with thick bottom piece, I noticed some bowing (to the sides) It was very minute, but here, we are bending 1mm flat, so even .1mm is a lot. Next time around I'd put "deep throat" clamps to keep the middle of the bottom jig at the same width.

3. Bowing of the ramming piece. The great thing about cast aluminum is that it doesn't flex much at all. It would rather shatter than bend. With steel top, you got to have a heck of a tight bolts, to keep the top ram from bowing or have a special piece that connects press pin with the ram, so that pressure is evenly distributed across entire top piece.

I finally liberated the rear trunnion from the evil rivets and checked for alignments. Knock on Romy wood, everything looks square so far:

you can say that again, I feel like a crack addict, keeping secrets from my wife, eyeing another kit before even finishing this one.

I really like Flintoid's idea about setting up a public workshop (like those ignite, geek rent-shops) where general public could come and build their AK. That would be riot. Martha would have a heart attack. If that Rosental guy have problems with gun-shows, now you got DIY shops that allow people to make AKs at fraction of the cost.[laugh]

If you want to go with a full form to bend with check out the 555th jig. Like I mentioned it comes apart easily. The final inside dimension on the bent flat should be 1.25. I used one piece of 1.25 wide x.125 thick and one piece 1.25x .25 sandwiched together to make the form out of. The proper radius for 4130 is 1 x radius or 1mm radius for 1mm thich stock.

I didn't weld mine either for the same reason. I only used one bolt and use a receiver stub to set the squeeze. I leave the bent flat inside the jig and lay it on it's side. Then tighten the bend/bow in the middle with the press ram.

The 1mm flats are a little twisty. Getting the rear rivets out is a task. What are you going to use for a spot welder for the rails?

There is a fair amount of investment for tooling and a lot of time involved.

Last edited:
If you want to go with a full form to bend with check out the 555th jig. Like I mentioned it comes apart easily. The final inside dimension on the bent flat should be 1.25. I used one piece of 1.25 wide x.125 thick and one piece 1.25x .25 sandwiched together to make the form out of. The proper radius for 4130 is 1 x radius or 1mm radius for 1mm thich stock.

I didn't weld mine either for the same reason. I only used one bolt and use a receiver stub to set the squeeze. I leave the bent flat inside the jig and lay it on it's side. Then tighten the bend/bow in the middle with the press ram.

The 1mm flats are a little twisty. Getting the rear rivets out is a task. What are you going to use for a spot welder for the rails?

There is a fair amount of investment for tooling and a lot of time involved.

I like *king around with setups, I'm still trying to figure out how to remove my RomyG barrel pin. I tried BFH, airhammer, 20 tonn press ... I have a crazy idea of may be using one of those .22 blank powered cement nail gun. It's so crazy, even I'm afraid of it.

I got spot 110V welder that I never used. I'll better start practicing on scrap.

soak the barrel pin and slot in kroil overnight. Lots of it. Then use a press. If you can't use a 20 ton press, I don't know what you could do besides drilling it out...

Hopefully you didn't mushroom the pin by smacking it with a hammer. That nail gun idea sounds crazy. lol

Another Gunco link - I've been sneaking up on an AK build for a while now, and one of my internal roadblocks was what to with the rails. I don't have a spot welder, and didn't want to buy one just for this. I have most of the pieces for this lying around, so it should be cheap enough, even for me. [smile]

So, for anyone in the crowd who doesn't have a spot welder lying around....

12 VDC Homebuilt spot welder

I'm glad I got that Romy G kit when they were still cheap - and had barrels.

Excellent work, Boris.

Last edited:
When you try different things you learn more. I don't know how much heat you could safely apply but...I like the oil treatment first. What is kroil? I've seen people place the trunnion in a HD bench vise and use a bolt a little smaller and press it out that way. Make sure you support the area around the pin that is recessed. You can use a piece of washer. The .22 blank sounds deadly.[smile]

I want to make a spot welder but use a magnatron from a microwave. It's a little cheaper than $130+ for a HF unit. You'll have to modify the tongs on the HF unit also. You'll need a long rivet tool for the through rivets too.

LONG_RIVET_TOOL_WEB_PAGE_NUMBERED.jpg

This is like my setup.

img0213vd.jpg

after messing around with home made bending jigs i finnaly broke down and bought one from ak builder.com. Results are awesome and building on reciever is like building on a nodak spud. well worth the investment considering what you pay for kits these days.good luck commrades

Buy jig punch out what you need.Then sell jig in classifieds. Or do like i did split cost of build tools with some friends. Building is addictive once you start you cant stop.A quality reciever is the key to a good build.

Buy jig punch out what you need.Then sell jig in classifieds. Or do like i did split cost of build tools with some friends. Building is addictive once you start you cant stop.A quality reciever is the key to a good build.

+1 quality for quality receiver. +2 very addictive. [laugh] I'll try a few more flats but once you get the insite and technique down you should have excellent quality. My first flat is in my opinion is pretty good. I learned a lot. Not as perfect as I would like but...I have seen factory Chinese and some comblocks that were rough and much lower quality than my first one. Even the Saigas have had serious quality issues. They are called "Vodka" guns because they were made while they were drunk. The difference between us and the commie builders is we do our best because we have passion and they are just slaves!

If you are lookin' to sell your jig for cheap I' ll buy it. [smile] Just kidding! Seriously hope you get some serious builds done. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom