• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bending Your Own AK Receiver?

If/when you go to sell it, it needs to be serialized. This involves placing a serial number on the receiver in a ATF approved location, caliber of receiver, and manufacturer (your name, or something like that).

If you never sell it, you don't have to worry about that until you die. Then I am not sure how inheretance goes.

I know there are some good guides to bending your own receiver on www.gunco.net. And a bending jig can be fashioned from something as simple as steel bar stock. There are some ingenious bending jig designs out there. There's also the issue of attaching the rails- spot welding is the typical route, however, people do use screws with success. And, of course, the receiver needs to be heat treated after you bend it all up and get all the holes drilled. I think there are some 80% receivers that already have the rivet holes drilled, though.

You're braver than I if you do go this route.

How'd I guess you'd be the first to comment [wink] From what I've seen the unbent receivers have all the holes drilled but no rails and the 80% are the opposite. As far as heat treating I believe there is a shop about 5 min from me and if not there is always a torch and bucket of water [smile] Only thing that might screw me up is the jig. I'll rather buy one then try to make it.

Last edited:
I think there are folks around who have bending jigs who might be willing to lend them out. I too have a flat that I might bend into a receiver one day. Have to collect parts first

I believe you would be wrong. Don't believe everything you read on Yahoo Answers.

There are regulations, depending.

Yep. As long as you make sure everything is OK with ATF regulations, you're allowed to construct your own. There are lots of build kits out there sold with raw material that you cut yourself.

MY opinion was based on the experience of someone I know, not "Yahoo". I guess the difference is that he built several guns, not just one.

MY opinion was based on the experience of someone I know, not "Yahoo". I guess the difference is that he built several guns, not just one.

No offense intended. I often google to refresh my memory and most of the posts I saw were "nope - not legal - go to jail". That just isn't correct unless, as your friend apparantly was, you're manufacturing other than for your own purposes.

No offense intended. I often google to refresh my memory and most of the posts I saw were "nope - not legal - go to jail". That just isn't correct unless, as your friend apparantly was, you're manufacturing other than for your own purposes.

This is exactly right. Gammon's friend must have been building with the intent to sell. That's when you should get a mfg's license. But if I were to bend, drill, and weld 500 AK receivers tomorrow for my own personal collection, it'd be totally fine.

MY opinion...

And not to be a nit-picking a-hole, but opinions don't really count for much when discussing law, unless you're the judicial arm of it.

Like, here's an excert from a letter from the ATF that helps answer the OP's questions. It is the opinion of the ATF's. Not yours. I'd hedge my bets on the ATF's, personally.

Also, for your information, a nonlicensee may manufacture a semiautomatic rifle for his or her own personal use. As long as the firearm remains in the custody of the person who manufactured it, the firearm need not be marked with a serial number or name and location of the manufacturer. However, if the firearm is transferred to another party at some point in the future, the firearm must be marked in accordance with the provisions set forth in 27 CFR § 478.92 (formerly 178.92).

from: http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4435

Back
Top Bottom