Beretta 92 FS, must be a Zen thing!

I bought a Beretta 92 FS about 18 months ago and have been very pleased with its reliability but haven’t been able to get a decent group with it. I dumped the factory grips, added Hogue, added an adjustable rear sight, still 8” groups at 33 feet (11 meters). I finally gave up on it and decided to get rid of it. As soon as I gave up on trying to shoot it for accuracy groups tightened to less than 3 inches, frequently 10 out of 15 shots touching, the other five slightly spread. I assume its because I’m more relaxed, not choking the grip to death. Guess I’ll keep it after all.

I am a remarkably bad shot

I shoot mostly to hear it go bang and for the bullet to land in the general direction of the target, but I am really good with my FS. I expect it's fit and balance that's perfect for me. Besides it is the coolest looking handgun out there IMHO.

I don't think two inch groupings at 25 yards is bad right? [wink]

C-pher said:
Moderator said:
I know there is somebody else on the forum who is looking into buying this gun. Maybe you just made up his mind?

I wonder who that might be... :D

I might be picking up one tomorrow....

We'll just have to see.

Why are you rhyming? You sound like Jesse Jackson!

Adam_MA said:
C-pher said:
Moderator said:
I know there is somebody else on the forum who is looking into buying this gun. Maybe you just made up his mind?

We'll just have to see.

No, No, Nope. If he was trying to sound like Jesse Jackson it would have been:

I wonder why whitey won't let me be...

I need to pick up a gat to set me free...

If you're looking for me I'll be in the backyard...

I'm working on 10 new ways to play the race card...

derek said:
Adam_MA said:
C-pher said:
Moderator said:

We'll just have to see.

No, No, Nope. If he was trying to sound like Jesse Jackson it would have been:

I wonder why whitey won't let me be...

I need to pick up a gat to set me free...

If you're looking for me I'll be in the backyard...

I'm working on 10 new ways to play the race card...

Yea, that was funny.

And I didnt' mean to rhyme. I didn't even realize that I was doing it...

And I thought that it was:

If the gun don't fit.
You must...say screw it and buy it anyway because it's cool.

And it's also driving the porcelin bus.

Swift River Rob said:
As soon as I gave up on trying to shoot it for accuracy groups tightened to less than 3 inches, frequently 10 out of 15 shots touching, the other five slightly spread. I assume its because I’m more relaxed, not choking the grip to death. Guess I’ll keep it after all.

OK, I'm a REALLY new shooter (stilll waiting for LTC). I went to "Manchester Firing Line" this morning and rented a Beretta 8000 (didn't have the 92) and bought 100rnds and some targets.

So the first ~50 rounds I could hardly hit the paper. I was really discouraged. I've shot a (very) little bit before and I wasn't this bad I thought. I was missing the paper 20% of the time.

Then I remembered this post and loosened up my grip and let the gun recoil without really fighting it. Suddenly I was shooting groups!! My last group of 5 was ~2" (at 10yds)!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it!

Unfortunately I had to go to work or I would have bought more ammo and kept going. It was great!

Thanks,
Matt

Matt,

Make sure you maintain a firm grip on the gun (like a firm handshake), but not a "death grip" - white knuckles do not good marksmanship skills make. [wink] Second - make sure you're grip is equal with both hands - however you're gripping with the right, make sure you're exerting the same pressure with your left. The ONLY thing that should be "tight" on you is your grip - the rest of your should be RELAXED. And don't lock your elbows. :D

Back
Top Bottom