Best .45 Available

I'm sure everyone has their own idea of what the best .45 available in Mass is, but I'd like to hear some opinions.
I currently own a Para P-14 .45 Limited and love it, but I'm looking to pick up another .45, I'd appreciate some suggestions.

Any .45 you can buy in MA is a good one

I believe most folks will tell you you need to have a 1911 in your collection at some point. Smith makes an excellent one and you can pick up used Colts every now and then.

I've also got a Glock 21 which is a nice piece. My next .45 is going to be the Smith M & P .45, if it ever gets approved here

Best for what?

S&W 1911 is hard to beat as a defensive .45.

For target shooting . . . it depends on what sort of competition you are doing.

No one answer will be "best" for all uses!

Yup...I think you'll have to have a more specific use in mind. Target shooting? Plinking? Home Defense? Collecting? Combination?

I love my ParaOrdinance Carry 6.45 LDA. It's one of the most sublime compact .45's I've ever owned. I've been contemplating selling it, now that I'm in the process of carrying a 642CT, but I just can't seem to let it go.

Both Para and Smith make some nice Mass compliant .45's if you want to stay in the 1911 realm and buy new.

I'm holding our for a S&W M&P .45 for general shooting and home defense...Keep your fingers crossed...

Indeed, I should have been more specific. I mainly target shoot, but I do carry from time to time.
I've owned guns for years but have only gotten in pistols withing the last 3 or 4, so I don't really know a whole lot about them.
I think it 3 years ago I was thinking about buying a handgun, but didn't know what I wanted. Fortunately for me I walked into a store one day and found a special issue of Guns and Ammo that was all about the 1911. The Book of The 1911 I believe its called. Great read. They talked about everything from guns to holsters to ammo. It seemed in alot of articles that when they talked about good quality .45's they mentioned Kimber,Springfield, and Para. They even had a story all about Para.
I went into my local gun shop and asked about a Kimber-nope,cant get em, ok, how bout a Springfield? Nope, cant get em. Para? The guy had a bunch in stock, so I chose the P-14.
At the time I didnt go with a S&W because they had only recently started making 1911's. It's been a few years now, so I'm thinking of a Custom Shop .45. Anybody have one? How does it perform?

I love my S&W DK 1911. Great and super reliable. I also love my Sig P220. But hell what do I know.. I love them all!

Corey, I have a SW1911 and I love it. Great shooter.

Of course, I also have a Ruger P90 and a Para P12 - also great pistols. The P12 is the baby brother of your P14; has a 3.5" barrel and a 12 rd mag. So it's more easily concealed than your P14. And Goose's problems aside, my P12 has been utterly reliable.

Gun and Sport North in Lawrence

Kimber Custom SA 45 ACP 5 Inch Barrel, Blue 95% $899.00

I have one of the Kimber's of Oregon and I am really pleased with it. I Also have the Para 645LDA and Have to say no problems and it is very easy to conceal and is surprisingly accurate. (It is a single stack though, hence no feed problems common to double stack compact Para's)

The best available would be a custom gun from Dave Santurri or Greg Derr. Next best would be a S&W PC1911 (NICE guns). Next would be an SVI gun which is really tied with the S&W PC1911. Next up would be a Sig 220. Next would be a stock S&W 1911 (nice gun lousy assembly and QC). The only double stack .45 you can get it MA that I would trust is the Glock 21. After that the Rugers which are all very nice guns.

You could also get a custom 2011.

Since I already own a Para, I'm leaning more towards a Smith. At the gun shop the other day I asked the owner what he likes, and he owns a bunch of Smiths and also says they are great guns.
Funny thing is, I can't seem to find a combination of features that I like all in one gun. I like the Para double actions, but they don't have an external hammer, I know it's not a big issue, but more of an appearance type thing, it just doesnt look right to me. LOL
All I'm looking for is a .45 with a 5 inch barrel,in stainless, at least an 8 round capacity, with a white dot front site, adjustable rear site, double action. Am I asking too much?
Did I mention that I don't much care for polymer pistols? I've heard that Glock makes some fine guns, and I've shot a couple, but I just didn't care for the feel of them.

A used Kimber eh BA? Hmm. maybe I should consider a used gun. I just wish I knew more about handguns so I'd know what to look for in a used piece. The way I look at used stuff is that it could be used, but it also could have been abused. I'm not sure I'd trust a store owner to tell me the truth about a used gun. I'd be thinking that the previous owner of the gun monkeyed with it and that it would explode in my hand or something. I know that's drastic, but I'm just not sure about a used anything really.

Since I already own a Para, I'm leaning more towards a Smith. At the gun shop the other day I asked the owner what he likes, and he owns a bunch of Smiths and also says they are great guns.
Funny thing is, I can't seem to find a combination of features that I like all in one gun. I like the Para double actions, but they don't have an external hammer, I know it's not a big issue, but more of an appearance type thing, it just doesnt look right to me. LOL
All I'm looking for is a .45 with a 5 inch barrel,in stainless, at least an 8 round capacity, with a white dot front site, adjustable rear site, double action. Am I asking too much?
Did I mention that I don't much care for polymer pistols? I've heard that Glock makes some fine guns, and I've shot a couple, but I just didn't care for the feel of them.
Sounds like you want the S&W 1911 target model. Have a Smith replace the front sight ($50 total) with a Dawson fiber optic front sight. If I were in your situation and I didn't want to spend more $$$ to take it to the next level (SVI, S&W 1911 PC, Derr or Santurri) that would be my first choice.

Double stack 1911s in .45 don't provide many options. You have Para and custom SVI/STIs. You are aware that you can get a single action double stack para which would have an exposed hammer right? I am pretty sure that model is MA legal.

FYI.. I saw the gun less than a month ago for what its worth. I also suggested to him via PM to call and ask ? as to any work done, and any other questions he may have.

Dreppucci, Good point about the fact about the updated list though.

The best available would be a custom gun from Dave Santurri or Greg Derr. Next best would be a S&W PC1911 (NICE guns). Next would be an SVI gun which is really tied with the S&W PC1911.

An S&W, even a PC one, ahead of an SVI? Get real [rolleyes] Even the PC doesn't offer half the features available on an SVI.

The only double stack .45 you can get it MA that I would trust is the Glock 21. After that the Rugers which are all very nice guns.

I had a Glock. Note the past tense. Even after making the pilgrimage to Smyrna, it went "click" instead of "bang" every sixth or seventh time.

Love my Ruger revolvers, but think the autoloaders are oversized and clunky. Unkillable, I'm sure, but also unnecessarily awkward. Are you even aware that SVI double-stacks can be had in .45?

You could also get a custom 2011.

How? . A "2011" (STI) is NOT Mass. compliant. [rolleyes]

Last edited:
An S&W, even a PC one, ahead of an SVI? Get real [rolleyes] Even the PC doesn't offer half the features available on an SVI.

Features aside, I would put an SVI ahead of a PC gun because the SV is a true custom, meaning it is built for you with what you want on it. Personally, the PC1911 I played with had everything I look for.

How? . A "2011" (STI) is NOT Mass. compliant. [rolleyes]

Get an STI frame and build it (However, I'm not saying it is any savings or less of a hassle than going with SV).

Features aside, I would put an SVI ahead of a PC gun because the SV is a true custom, meaning it is built for you with what you want on it. Personally, the PC1911 I played with had everything I look for.
It's just not the issue of "true custom" but of an absolutely anal retentive attention to qualify and detail. I was at the factory in early May and it's an amazing operation - they even make their own barrels from bar stock, and their process is set up so that each gun in progress works its way through the factory with paperwork indicating the customer's selections. It's not a matter of taking a slide off the line and adding the customer's cuts - the slide and frame are originally manufactured specifically to the customer order. In fact, I wrote the software used to process the on-line configurations.

Two of the SVI target models are on "the list" since the factory agreed to hire high priced legal counsel and drop 10 guns on concrete just to keep MA shooters happy. I doubt they'll ever make it back in sales in this state though.

Actually Scriv I was not aware that the Infinity Competition was a double stack, thank you for correcting me. SVI guns are also covered under the 2011 moniker and you can get any custom gun in Mass if you know the right FFL.

I had a Glock. Note the past tense. Even after making the pilgrimage to Smyrna, it went "click" instead of "bang" every sixth or seventh time.
One data point does not indicate a trend. I'm not a fan of Glocks but they are fine as a production gun goes.

Love my Ruger revolvers, but think the autoloaders are oversized and clunky. Unkillable, I'm sure, but also unnecessarily awkward.
The list is prioritized and there is a reason that some are at the beginning and others are at the end. The P345 has excellent ergonomics and trigger. I would even call it nice. Heck, I did. Definitely worth mentioning if someone is on a budget.

An S&W, even a PC one, ahead of an SVI?
Did I say that? I recall saying they were tied. That axe must have obscured your vision. I consider the extra "features" on the SVI to be either snake oil (triple accelerated hammer) or cosmetic (slide profile). The Infinity Traditional is even missing features like a magazine well according to their web site.

Are you even aware that SVI double-stacks can be had in .45? Probably not, as you suggest a "2011" (STI), which is NOT Mass. compliant.
Funny... Not but three posts before yours:
Double stack 1911s in .45 don't provide many options. You have Para and custom SVI/STIs.
Which could be construed to mean that I am aware that SVI double-stacks can be had in .45. You were just a little too busy grinding that axe to notice.

Variety, choice, these are all good things.
Chill%20Pill.png

As much as I love my Springfield 1911, it has never been reliable enough to be considered for carry. I do find it heavy. Years back I carried a Colt Commander and while the weight was better, it too suffered from reliability. Trips to the smith never corrected that. Then the 9 craze started and most in my area went to smaller 9mm.

Today I usually carry a SIG220C. It has been 100 percent after about 1500 rounds. Not one malfunction. I'm really happy with the firearm. Weight is good and the pricing was right. It took a while to get used to the DAK trigger but I love it now. The only down side is that it will be a little bit large for summer carry.

Actually Scriv I was not aware that the Infinity Competition was a double stack, thank you for correcting me.

Thus contradicting yourself:

Which could be construed to mean that I am aware that SVI double-stacks can be had in .45.

SVI guns are also covered under the 2011 moniker and you can get any custom gun in Mass if you know the right FFL.

Hardly. "2011" is a registered STI trademark. The idea that an SVI is thus "covered" under it is absurd.

As for your other assertion, if you can get an FFL to break the law by selling you a gun not on "the list," more power to you.

Regarding Rugers and Glocks, the OP asked for the "BEST 45 Available;" not the most common or cost-effective. [rolleyes]

I consider the extra "features" on the SVI to be either snake oil (triple accelerated hammer) or cosmetic (slide profile).

What "triple accelerated hammer?" If you mean the patented Tri-Glide, that refers to the ball bearings in the trigger group.

You seem to have overlooked or ignored some other salient features, such as the frame machined out of stock, instead of merely cast; the housing for the safety/slide release being integral to that frame, instead of merely staked on; the patented barrel bushing and the replaceable breachface (useful for those over-invigorated hand loads [shocked] ).

The Infinity Traditional is even missing features like a magazine well according to their web site.

What part of "Traditional" did you not understand?

Variety, choice, these are all good things.

Agreed.

Last edited:
...Regarding Rugers and Glocks, the OP asked for the "BEST 45 Available;" not the most common or cost-effective. [rolleyes]

Ever think to them, the most cost effective IS the "best"? Maybe they all seem good enough, but they just want one they can afford. Just supposin'.

My question is that all you guys talk about is very expensive 1911's, I myself cannot afford $1000+, so is there 1911's that are worth a crap at a "good" price?

From most of the debates about 1911's that I read it seems like you have to spend big money or the 1911 is not reliable gun. This is why I would look elsewhere like the new M&P if it ever gets here. Then someday when I had the money I would invest in a good 1911.

Don't bash me on this it is just simple observations and questions.

While we're on the subject of SVIs... so what's the deal with
those? If you want an MA compliant one, I'm guessing you have to
buy it the way it's configured.... or is it one of these deals where
you buy a "base" gun thats compliant and have to send it back to the
factory to have (whatever other options) you want put on it?

-Mike

My question is that all you guys talk about is very expensive 1911's, I myself cannot afford $1000+, so is there 1911's that are worth a crap at a "good" price?

From most of the debates about 1911's that I read it seems like you have to spend big money or the 1911 is not reliable gun. This is why I would look elsewhere like the new M&P if it ever gets here. Then someday when I had the money I would invest in a good 1911.

S+W's seem to be pretty reliable assuming you don't end up with a
bad one. Most of the one's I've seen work fine... and you can still have
customizations off that platform, as well. The 1911DK for instance, is
a good deal for all the stuff that comes on it, and it is below the $1000
barrier.

-Mike

Ever think to them [sic], the most cost effective IS the "best"? Maybe they all seem good enough, but they [sic[ just want one they can afford. Just supposin'.

There is no such language of limitation in the OP's thread. Had HE wanted recommendations within a certain price point, he presumably would have said so.

The post is "BEST .45 AVAILABLE;" not "What .45 can I get for under $X00." [rolleyes]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom