Best Range Bag

Hi guys/gals/others

Did a search and came up empty. Looking for a good range bag. I would rather spend money "up-front" rather than buy a few and keep trading up and losing money. Looking for a good range bag to transport my stuff in. The backpack isn't working well. Keep "losing" stuff in there and my magazines are getting ruined.

Right now I only own 2 pistols, 2 plinker rifles, and a Mosin. Within the month I'll have another pistol (hopefully by Saturday) and a BER. Share it with the wife (the bag). And we only kill paper. No serious competition for now but that is (hopefully when I get good enough) down the road. So looking for a bag I can grow into and won't have to replace next month or before Fall.

Suggestions and places to buy would be appreciated.

Thank You

I think you are going to find that there is no "one size fits all".
If I am taking just my carry gun, its on me and I have a small leather/canvas bag for ammo and mags. Its some sort of Swiss Army surplus bag, I think its a gas mask bag with two compartments. I also have an old US Army magazine bag. You can find these canvas bags at an Army/Navy store for short money.
If I am taking multiple rifles, I have a double gun hard case, if I am using a single rifle I might throw it in a soft rifle bag. If I am taking a few handguns, I use a pistol box that holds five guns in the top locker and a few in the bottom. Sometimes I end up taking big metal surplus ammo cans with varying types of ammo in them.
Every time I go to the range I end up taking a different combo.

Hi guys/gals/others

Did a search and came up empty. Looking for a good range bag. I would rather spend money "up-front" rather than buy a few and keep trading up and losing money. Looking for a good range bag to transport my stuff in. The backpack isn't working well. Keep "losing" stuff in there and my magazines are getting ruined.

Right now I only own 2 pistols, 2 plinker rifles, and a Mosin. Within the month I'll have another pistol (hopefully by Saturday) and a BER. Share it with the wife (the bag). And we only kill paper. No serious competition for now but that is (hopefully when I get good enough) down the road. So looking for a bag I can grow into and won't have to replace next month or before Fall.

Suggestions and places to buy would be appreciated.

Thank You

My brother has this bag and I think it is hands down the best range bag I have seen.

I wish I had it. It's large enough and extremely well built. Mine sags like a beaten whore.

My brother has a name brand version, this is the Midway brand at probably half the cost. I got this exact one for a friend of mine and almost stole it instead of giving it to him. It is literally the same as the name brand version.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=259680

Get this and you won't look back.

I paid $55 for my SigSauer bag when I could have paid less for this.

I don't have any specific suggestions, but I will tell you how I pack my stuff. I have a large Rubbermaid tote that I use to store most of my stuff in. I use that instead of a bag as it is waterproof, so I never have to worry about my gear getting wet. It measures 20"x15" and is about 12" tall. I keep most of my stuff in it. Cleaning kit, staple gun, duct tape, paper targets, ammo(in ammo can), hand held skeet thrower just in case, can of fluorescent orange spray paint, roll of paper towels, hand cleaner. I also have a tackle box that I keep mags, tools, small pair of binoculars and a few other small things in. I usually transport my rifles in gun sacks and soft cases, but I will be getting a hard-case for my 17hmr. My pistols have leather holsters that they live in and that protects them well enough, they usually end up in the tote or behind the seat in my truck. I would suggest looking at what other people have and trying to pick out what you like and don't like. This month's Guns & Ammo also has an article called "The Ultimate Range Box". Might be worth picking up.

My brother has a name brand version, this is the Midway brand at probably half the cost. I got this exact one for a friend of mine and almost stole it instead of giving it to him. It is literally the same as the name brand version.

The Midway version is a rip off of the ShootersConnection bag, the quality and durability are not even close

get the shootersconnection bag
http://shootersconnectionstore.com/...ament-Series-Shooting-Bag-PRO-BLACK-P555.aspx

I bought the Midwayusa one 2 years ago. It's still like brand new, even though I use it twice a week. I have 3 other range bags and use this one all the time.

I keep 15, full 1911 mags, 5 full Model 41 mags and 20 full moon clips in it along with glasses,targets stapler, muffs and cleaning supplies.

This bag is huge and that's why I like it, It's hard to forget things when you can keep so much stuff in your bag.. By the time I finish throwing every thing in it, it weighs about 60 pounds. Don't let the $39.00 price fool you, this bag a great.

It also comes with the inner bag for free.

Last edited:
I use a large tool bag (from lowes). It was about 30 bucks. had heavy duty zippers and plenty of pockets. It's also lockable and doesn't scream gun.

I bought a large Workforce tool bag from Home Depot. It's heavy duty nylon with a strong zipper and the screwdriver pouches inside fit my mags perfectly. It's also lockable. I can fit 4 pistols, ammo, eyes and ears, and targets inside with no problem.

I bought the Midwayusa one 2 years ago. It's still like brand new, even though I use it twice a week. I have 3 other range bags and use this one all the time.

I keep 15, full 1911 mags, 5 full Model 41 mags and 20 full moon clips in it along with glasses,targets stapler, muffs and cleaning supplies.

This bag is huge and that's why I like it, It's hard to forget things when you can keep so much stuff in your bag.. By the time I finish throwing every thing in it, it weighs about 60 pounds. Don't let the $39.00 price fool you, this bag a great.

It also comes with the inner bag for free.

Pretty much ditto. I don't misuse things as a general matter, but the range bag seems to get more than its fair share of abuse and mine (about a year and a half old) still looks and functions like the day it came out of the shipping box.

The Midway version is a rip off of the ShootersConnection bag, the quality and durability are not even close

http://shootersconnectionstore.com/...ament-Series-Shooting-Bag-PRO-BLACK-P555.aspx

I'm with Supermoto on this one. I have had mine for just about five years. Still going strong, holds everything I need. Multiple guns, magazine holders, padding, removable inner pistol pag. I would highly recommend it. The quality is awesome - and I'm picky.

Glasses boots and bags-->

www.usstandardissue.com

They want a Govt or Mil ID to register. Just a plain civilian here but great eye wear and bags.

I'm checking out the other sites now. Really appreciate all the info. I figured I'd be dropping $$$ or so for what I want. So I am pleasantly surprised at what I am getting for suggestions/prices.

Yay more money for ammo.

I use a large tool bag (from lowes). It was about 30 bucks. had heavy duty zippers and plenty of pockets. It's also lockable and doesn't scream gun.

I have been shooting for quite a while and have owned several of the top of the line bags. They were well made but I eventually realized that I didn't need most of their features. The built in gun storage pouches were unnecessary because I already had the pistols stored in rugs and the elastic straps that held my mags in place loooked like a good idea, but once at the match I removed the mags from this location and never replaced them until the shooting was over; i.e. I really didn't need this form of storage.

I have found that tool storage bags from Lowe's actually suit my needs better than the more expensive "shooting bags". There are enough pouches to store tools and parts and the large main storage area easily holds a couple of guns in rugs, mags and ammo. I have found this arrangement to be more convenient than the more expensive range bags. An added plus is that these bags are inexpensive enough to allow you to own several; one for each gun or sport. I have dedicated bags for IPSC (Limited and Production), Rimfire Pistol, Revolver, AR 15, Rimfire AR, and Shotgun. This makes match prerparation, or just prep for a practice session much easier.

I got into tool bags for storage when I became fed up with the weight of my shooting bag loaded down with five hundred rounds or so for a practice session. My idea was to store the ammo in a separate bag. Lowe's had several tool bags for reasonable money that would easily store the ammo, or so I thought. The problem was that these bags didn't have bottoms strong enough to support the weight of the ammo. The solution was to install a plywood bottom in the bag (I cover mine with a piece of rug) to support the weight. Again, the low cost of the bags allows you to have several so that you can dedicate a bag for each caliber or shooting discipline. This system has worked very well for me.

Great thread.... Currently have a piece of crap Walmart bag which had some kind of plastic stiffener that broke long ago.... Royal PITA to organize and find what you need when on the range....

Ordered the midway bag today....[smile]

Love my Uncle Mikes!

um-5241-1.jpg

My brother has this bag and I think it is hands down the best range bag I have seen.

I wish I had it. It's large enough and extremely well built. Mine sags like a beaten whore.

Get this and you won't look back.

I paid $55 for my SigSauer bag when I could have paid less for this.

As Underwhere mentioned, I have the 5.11 version of this bag. Seems like the design is copied by many. I've been MORE than happy with my bag, quality and durability wise. LOVE it. [smile]

However, I do wish I could have gotten the Midway version for $39 instead of the $109 I spent on mine.

If anyone is wary of the Midway version... click on the link above and just go and read the 225+ five-star reviews. You will quickly see that quality and durability is NOT an issue with the Midway bag.

Regardless of name brand vs. non-name brand... or original vs. copy... the Midway bag has enough reviews to show that it's probably the best range bag dollar for dollar than any of the other versions of that design.

[grin]

I have found that the Midway bag does have one downside:

There are so many pockets and zippered sections that, on occasion, I have trouble remembering where I put something.

I can live with it, though.

I'll second the tool bag option as well. That what I've been using. $20. Durable and lockable and doesn't scream the brand name of a gun manufacturer on the side. I did get a rather small one though so I may trade up to the $30 one.

That plus all the comments here certainly convinced me..... Lots of potentially better bags out there but this one is well received and the cheapest of the lot....[smile]

As Underwhere mentioned, I have the 5.11 version of this bag. Seems like the design is copied by many. I've been MORE than happy with my bag, quality and durability wise. LOVE it. [smile]

However, I do wish I could have gotten the Midway version for $39 instead of the $109 I spent on mine.

If anyone is wary of the Midway version... click on the link above and just go and read the 225+ five-star reviews. You will quickly see that quality and durability is NOT an issue with the Midway bag.

Regardless of name brand vs. non-name brand... or original vs. copy... the Midway bag has enough reviews to show that it's probably the best range bag dollar for dollar than any of the other versions of that design.

[grin]

I'll second the tool bag option as well. That what I've been using. $20. Durable and lockable and doesn't scream the brand name of a gun manufacturer on the side. I did get a rather small one though so I may trade up to the $30 one.

I started with the $20 model from Lowe's and soon upgraded to the $30 bag; much more room.

Back
Top Bottom