Better Be Planting This Year. 2022+ And Up MEGATHREAD

Somebody was telling me about these greenhouses and how you can grow all year with one of them. Made in Canada
Those look very nice. Some of the wood frames don't look as durable. Let us know if you get one. My yard is just too small for even a tiny one... [sad]

Last edited:
Those look very nice. Some of the woof frames don't look as durable. Let us know if you get one. My yard is just too small for even a tiny one... [sad]
I might try it next year. I'm too busy getting up to speed on bees and building a wood shed this year.

Already seeing some maters on a few of the plants. Weeds are going nuts.

Also found three 'volunteer' tomato plants that just randomly came up. Not sure if I'll let them continue to grow, for now though they are not in the way and will be free to do what they do.

Attachments

• 20220609_204645.jpg
    20220609_204645.jpg
    612.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220609_205402.jpg
    20220609_205402.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 19
If anybody is seriously considering a greenhouse you might be able to get .gov to pay for most of it. I contacted my local office and started the process last year, but backed out because I wasn’t sure exactly where I wanted it on my property. I plan to apply this year though.

High Tunnel System Initiative | NRCS
Apply for EQIP | NRCS

That is very true! I didn't know it would be so satisfying.
Somebody was telling me about these greenhouses and how you can grow all year with one of them. Made in Canada
Funny - the old man just told me that, back when he was in (vo-ag) high school, he built one of these.

Attachments

• VCE_circular_892_1966_AGothicGreenhouseForTownAnd CountryHomes.pdf
    12.3 MB · Views: 19
Not having the drip stuff in, when it's dry typically means an hour and a half watering chore per dry day.

But what's worse: spraying water all over means wetting the shit out of the leaves... which is a blight magnet.
Water deeply every other day for stonger plants and put down salt marsh hay if your watering practices are hitting the leaves.

A lot of my seed packets say "thin when seedlings are XX in tall" or what have you. I planted several seeds (maybe 2-3) per spot in my raised beds. Someone posted a video on high-density planting for things like lettuce and I am definitely doing that, but for my cucumbers, melons etc. do I really need to worry about thinning?
Yes

I did an experiment a few days ago using some tomato seeds dated 2015.

Put some store bought potting soil into some plant starting containers (a whole flat of 4 tray containers) and planted a whole envelope of Ferri Morse brand seeds, about 3-4 per container, watered them daily to keep them wet/moist and got about 70% germination so far from them.
The ones that haven't sprung up yet may have been planted a little too deep but I'm impressed with the results for seven year old seeds that have been stored at room temperature in a plastic bin.

I did the same with some Romaine lettuce seeds I saved in 2017 from an excellent crop of lettuce. I had let several plants bolt to seed and saved them in a small glass jar. The seeds are about the size of an eyelash so the small jar had tens of thousands of seeds in it.

Prepped another flat the same as above and sprinkled some seeds in, kept them wet and it looks like every single seed germinated and is growing. The plants are about a half inch tall already. I pulled a couple to look at the roots and they're long enough to go to the bottom of the container ( about 3 inches).
Going to transplant most of them into larger pots when they are about four inches tall and keep them in some shady spots out of the midday sun.
Nothing like fresh Romaine lettuce for a nice salad or stacked on a sandwich or burger.

I did an experiment a few days ago using some tomato seeds dated 2015.

Put some store bought potting soil into some plant starting containers (a whole flat of 4 tray containers) and planted a whole envelope of Ferri Morse brand seeds, about 3-4 per container, watered them daily to keep them wet/moist and got about 70% germination so far from them.
The ones that haven't sprung up yet may have been planted a little too deep but I'm impressed with the results for seven year old seeds that have been stored at room temperature in a plastic bin.

I did the same with some Romaine lettuce seeds I saved in 2017 from an excellent crop of lettuce. I had let several plants bolt to seed and saved them in a small glass jar. The seeds are about the size of an eyelash so the small jar had tens of thousands of seeds in it.

Prepped another flat the same as above and sprinkled some seeds in, kept them wet and it looks like every single seed germinated and is growing. The plants are about a half inch tall already. I pulled a couple to look at the roots and they're long enough to go to the bottom of the container ( about 3 inches).
Going to transplant most of them into larger pots when they are about four inches tall and keep them in some shady spots out of the midday sun.
Nothing like fresh Romaine lettuce for a nice salad or stacked on a sandwich or burger.

Great input on seed age and viability. Thanks.

I'm going to be honest...I'm super impressed/jealous of your garden. Looks like you will be set no matter how effed up the world food supply gets. I think I am going to go bigger next year, although maybe not quite this intense. I have 1+ acres and no HOA so the sky and my ability to care for it are the limit.

Garden is doing well. Starting to see more tomatoes popping on random plants, pepper plants are starting to bush out, basil is going well, cucumbers and squash are taking off, plus lots of other random stuff that my better half put in. Kale has been planted several times now and it just won't grow, wife has just about given up on that. Excited to see the black strawberry and yellow gooseberry plants popping, can't wait to see what the fruit looks like on those. We've already had leafy greens coming into the house from the Green Stalk I bought my wife last year. And of course, corn seems to be a late bloomer. No surprise what with the cooler weather we've been having.

Did I mention the kids took out one of my bonny best plants with a soccer ball? That was disappointing, replaced it with a roma.

Went to visit my mom and my garden which is at her place. Found poison sumac in one of her flower beds. And believe a bunch of poison oak growing in my fenced in area of blackberries. did I mention I found these things after I started showing the effects. Was just doing typical weeding...ugh my mistake. Still learning and don’t identify everything so easily. We both have rash and bumps. Hers worse than me on prednisone now as was near her face. Wears glasses so must have adjusted them. Any eradication tips? On either scenarios, in the flower garden and in my berry patch? i finally had a good patch of berries going. Been working on it for two years now. Tougher keeping up on weeding no longer living at the residence. She isn’t a gardener much beyond flowers. Food is all me, I love utilizing the space. It is a very therapeutic process As others have elaborated.
thanks in advance. Your itchy comrade dan

Garden is doing well. Starting to see more tomatoes popping on random plants, pepper plants are starting to bush out, basil is going well, cucumbers and squash are taking off, plus lots of other random stuff that my better half put in. Kale has been planted several times now and it just won't grow, wife has just about given up on that. Excited to see the black strawberry and yellow gooseberry plants popping, can't wait to see what the fruit looks like on those. We've already had leafy greens coming into the house from the Green Stalk I bought my wife last year. And of course, corn seems to be a late bloomer. No surprise what with the cooler weather we've been having.

Did I mention the kids took out one of my bonny best plants with a soccer ball? That was disappointing, replaced it with a roma.
Did you try to save the plant? Tomato plants are very hardy and will usually come back with a little pruning and nutrients/water.

Looks like we might be in for some exciting weather on Friday. Hope all your plants are well supported / staked.

Went to visit my mom and my garden which is at her place. Found poison sumac in one of her flower beds. And believe a bunch of poison oak growing in my fenced in area of blackberries. did I mention I found these things after I started showing the effects. Was just doing typical weeding...ugh my mistake. Still learning and don’t identify everything so easily. We both have rash and bumps. Hers worse than me on prednisone now as was near her face. Wears glasses so must have adjusted them. Any eradication tips? On either scenarios, in the flower garden and in my berry patch? i finally had a good patch of berries going. Been working on it for two years now. Tougher keeping up on weeding no longer living at the residence. She isn’t a gardener much beyond flowers. Food is all me, I love utilizing the space. It is a very therapeutic process As others have elaborated.
thanks in advance. Your itchy comrade dan
No experience with oak and sumac, but I use roundup poison ivy on poison ivy. I hate roundup, but despise poison ivy even more. Obviously not ideal in your garden. You could try to pull it out.

Snapped it at the base. Plant was maybe a foot n a half tall reduced to a two inch stubb. I'll get some more pictures up soon.

Quick tour around the garden. I think every variety of tomato we are doing this year has at least one plant with fruit starting. Peppers are starting to flower. Corn is just barely peeking out of the soil. I'll need a day or three more to know how many made it. Once I have that info I'll be planting some bush beans amongst the corn. No sun flowers yet.

/eta yellow gooseberry mater

Attachments

• garden_roma_06-15-2022.png
    garden_roma_06-15-2022.png
    401.1 KB · Views: 13
  • mater-row_06-15-2022.png
    mater-row_06-15-2022.png
    646.5 KB · Views: 13
  • mater-row_back_06-15-2022.png
    mater-row_back_06-15-2022.png
    621.2 KB · Views: 13
  • pepperoncini-flower_06-15-2022.png
    pepperoncini-flower_06-15-2022.png
    686.9 KB · Views: 12
  • barren-corn-field_06-15-2022.png
    barren-corn-field_06-15-2022.png
    619.4 KB · Views: 12
  • green-bell_basil_06-15-2022.png
    green-bell_basil_06-15-2022.png
    675.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220615_171950.jpg
    20220615_171950.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Great input on seed age and viability. Thanks.

The 7year old tomato seeds, 33 of the 36 spots in the flat the seeds have come up and are thriving.

The 5 year old Romaine lettuce seeds, all 36 spots have come up with multiple plants and are thriving.

Again, these seeds had been stored at room temp (about 65-72) degrees. The tomato seeds in their original envelope and the lettuce seed in a glass jar with a tight lid both in a plastic bin out of any direct light.

No experience with oak and sumac, but I use roundup poison ivy on poison ivy. I hate roundup, but despise poison ivy even more. Obviously not ideal in your garden. You could try to pull it out.

I have been using agricultural strength vinegar mixture around the yard. It works great, kills stuff within a few hours. I use this and mix it with a bit of table salt and dish soap per the instructions on the bottle:

Amazon product ASIN B07DKCY2W3View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DKCY2W3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The 7year old tomato seeds, 33 of the 36 spots in the flat the seeds have come up and are thriving.

The 5 year old Romaine lettuce seeds, all 36 spots have come up with multiple plants and are thriving.

Again, these seeds had been stored at room temp (about 65-72) degrees. The tomato seeds in their original envelope and the lettuce seed in a glass jar with a tight lid both in a plastic bin out of any direct light.

Based on this, I can probably keep doing it the way I am. Basement stairs, out of the light, original envelope, in a plastic organizer. Thanks for the detailed update, very encouraging.

Back
Top Bottom