Better Be Planting This Year. 2022+ And Up MEGATHREAD

Anyone else growing corn?

Pulled from FPaVotD thread.

Agree. I started following this and it works well. TL;DW, bring water to boil, turn off the heat, dump the shucked corn in for 10 minutes. I used to heat he corn in the husk on grill using indirect heat, take it off the grill and then leave it in the hush while I cooked everything else on the grill. Boiling the water is more annoying than heating it on the grill, but you don't have to watch it to make sure it doesn't over cook or burn, so if the kid wants to play or something else distracts me, things are less likely to go wrong.

The zucchini are coming! The zucchini are coming!

I was actually able to snag a few little guys yesterday for last night's pasta primavera! And there are a bunch more that I'm expecting to be ready this weekend. We have a 90-year-old shut-in neighbor lady we'll be taking some up to, along with some of those kohlrabi.

Plenty of chard and kale. Tomorrow night will probably be hocks and kale: our kale and their hocks:

Ham-Hocks-820x800.jpg.webp

I had a lot of extra seedlings this year and tried to spread them around to different people. I gave these to my sister in law. Most of them look better than my plants. She might have grown a vegetable or two in the past but this is the biggest she has ever gone. Hopefully I lit the spark for her.

View attachment 629061
Looks good. What are you using for stakes? Thanks!

Those look like the type I was complaining about. Don't really last more than a season or two.

Garden is cold and wet today. Not much rain, mostly just a light drizzle. More rain tomorrow though.

Attachments

• 20220622_105852.jpg
    20220622_105852.jpg
    787.8 KB · Views: 18
I’m not sure what they are but I will ask next time I see her - if I remember. I picked up some bamboo stakes from Walmart for my peppers if they ever grow tall enough to warrant them. I’m growing my tomatoes up strings this year. Have never tried it before but it looks good so far. I’m hoping they get all the way up!

Note the little guy in the bottom right of the pic. That’s a compost pile addition that ended up right next to his buddies.

A6CA47CF-A059-4204-8349-320061CFBC3F.jpeg

Baker Creek. Snagged it to provide color as well as something to snack on whilst working all the other maters. My daughter loves the cherry varieties right off the vine.

Started / planted two of them. Both are showing promise.
Please keep us posted. I love the dark tiger striping!

I’m not sure what they are but I will ask next time I see her - if I remember. I picked up some bamboo stakes from Walmart for my peppers if they ever grow tall enough to warrant them. I’m growing my tomatoes up strings this year. Have never tried it before but it looks good so far. I’m hoping they get all the way up!

Note the little guy in the bottom right of the pic. That’s a compost pile addition that ended up right next to his buddies.

View attachment 629863

Volunteer mater. I've got three of them this year, still not sure what variety. All I know is that they are doing very well!

View attachment 629863

Between you and Critter, I'm having garden envy. I have some extra lumber that's been kicking around and I swear, it'll be used in this fashion next year!

Are you pruning the maters you have on strings?

Between you and Critter, I'm having garden envy. I have some extra lumber that's been kicking around and I swear, it'll be used in this fashion next year!

Are you pruning the maters you have on strings?

Ha, thank you. My garden has some issues but I really like the tomato setup so far. But those six 2x4s are worth a lot of tomato’s these days.

There is lots of pruning. The people who gave me the idea say to prune to only one stem. I think I could have planted much closer than I did so I left two stems on many of my plants. The chickens love all the branches they get.

My dog loves Black Seeded Simson lettuce stems. 1 or 2 inch-long pieces now and again. Begs for them...

Most sauce tomatoes are determinant “bush”type and don’t require stakes that high.
Indeterminate are vining and can get huge.

Yeah, understood. I put a couple 8' in the ground and they look ridiculous. Cut them down to 7' to see how that looks. Staked as they are, they're already at almost 4' tall. Plus I've got three strings of 'Florida weave' in there already. Just looking for something to help keep the plants out of the row and somewhat tidy.

Back
Top Bottom