• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Better Be Planting This Year. 2022+ And Up MEGATHREAD

img.php

It’s even more fun getting up @ 3:30 to weed in the high tunnel to beat the heat the tomatoes thrive on in the summer.
We don't have one presently, but I'll likely be finding out about that on the New Hampshire house lot, as we'll probably convert the frame of our old hoop shed to a makeshift high tunnel.

Wife is going to be in the area so she is stopping at Brookdale Fruit Farm in Hollis NH. For anyone who can deal with buying in bulk their prices for things like pots, fertilizer, soil, etc are unbeatable. I also got a huge silage tarp from them for less than what it would cost on the internet - and no shipping

Wife is going to be in the area so she is stopping at Brookdale Fruit Farm in Hollis NH. For anyone who can deal with buying in bulk their prices for things like pots, fertilizer, soil, etc are unbeatable. I also got a huge silage tarp from them for less than what it would cost on the internet - and no shipping
Irrigation supplies are excellent too.

I just got back into gardening two years ago. Both years I started seeds for my warm weather plants end of March / beginning of April and transplanted end of May / beginning of June. This has worked really well for me and I don’t feel like I’m starting late at all. I’m in southern NH and it can still get pretty chilly here at night until May/June.

I ordered 3 shrubs online.

They will arrive next week.

Do I bring them inside ? When can I out them outside?

When do I plant them?

I'm still happy with my

Cold stratified from Nov to March, potted on the 2nd. A mix of seeds taken from the local orchard's Fuji and Jonagold crop, but I know it is likely that the seedlings won't stay true to the apple the seeds were taken from.

Admittedly, this is my first time with apples (second time with seeds in general, to be honest) and I'm not sure when to start moving the sprouts out of the grow trays.

Attachments

• PXL_20240322_194127032.jpg
    PXL_20240322_194127032.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20240322_194115774.jpg
    PXL_20240322_194115774.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
Cold stratified from Nov to March, potted on the 2nd. A mix of seeds taken from the local orchard's Fuji and Jonagold crop, but I know it is likely that the seedlings won't stay true to the apple the seeds were taken from.

Admittedly, this is my first time with apples (second time with seeds in general, to be honest) and I'm not sure when to start moving the sprouts out of the grow trays.
You may want to take out the heat mat and move the light closer, they look pretty leggy

You may want to take out the heat mat and move the light closer, they look pretty leggy
Thanks for the advice! I was wondering if the shoot length was out of the ordinary, but didn't know how to address it. The light was on a low-moderate intensity, so I cranked it up to max and turned off the mat.

Trampoline hit end of life, vegetables going in shortly.

Edited to add - Assembled this past weekend, photo added IMG_4885.jpeg . Need more soil. That’s today’s task.

Attachments

• IMG_4880.jpeg
    IMG_4880.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4882.jpeg
    IMG_4882.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4883.jpeg
    IMG_4883.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! I was wondering if the shoot length was out of the ordinary, but didn't know how to address it. The light was on a low-moderate intensity, so I cranked it up to max and turned off the mat.
Yea crank it up and keep on the white light. Mine still get leggy a bit but i have cheap lights... gotta do the best we can though. If you can hang the light to be a couple inches away that could also help.

Do these mold like the regular cardboard ones?
Before they go in the ground I might get a bit of white powder on the outside. Goes away with a damp rag. Never noticed any effect on the plants. In fact, the only reason I hit them with the damp rag is so I can read the Sharpie I use to label them so I can transfer the plant info to the stick (tongue depressor).

Back
Top Bottom