• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Beware of audio chain delay - potentially avoid conundrum.

drgrant

NES Member
I'll keep it short but basically I bought an Icom ID-52A and I thought that for some reason or another the audio chain was actually inducing Reverb into my audio.... but the reality of it is if you have two radios in the same room does actually a slight amount of lag between when the audio is processed and it actually gets transmitted over the air even in an analog modes like FM. I think this is just because of the design of the audio chain of the radio.

If you do not know this is happening basically it can make you think that your radio is broken. In a cruel sense of irony the ID52A is actually one of the best sounding handheld radios I've ever heard but you can't really listen to yourself if you're transmitting and receiving in the same room because you'll hear that Reverb in your audio.... but the reality is over the air someone would never hear it in normal use .... 🤣

download (42).jpeg

Basically I just posted this to prevent one of you guys from smashing your head against the wall because I'm pretty sure this isn't the only radio that does this.

Will post full review soon after the unlock. This is one of the best HTs ive ever used that isn't full commercial spec, though.

Thanks for the heads up. I have several HTs and your note might save me some grief.

I was tempted by the ID-52a - it’s a fabulous radio. I sold my Kenwood TH-D74a last year after buying a RFinder B1+ but regret it. The RFinder is just too unstable - the current ROM (the custom Android version for the unit) appears to cause low TX volume - nobody can hear me. While there will be a fix, there will be the next break too.

I picked up an AnyTone AT-D878UVII+ from HRO, as I was more impressed by DMR than D-Star, C4FM, etc. if AnyTone’s mobile had a remote head, I might go that way too. They came out with a speaker-Mike with a 2" screen, so maybe…

Thanks for the heads up. I have several HTs and your note might save me some grief.

I was tempted by the ID-52a - it’s a fabulous radio. I sold my Kenwood TH-D74a last year after buying a RFinder B1+ but regret it. The RFinder is just too unstable - the current ROM (the custom Android version for the unit) appears to cause low TX volume - nobody can hear me. While there will be a fix, there will be the next break too.

I picked up an AnyTone AT-D878UVII+ from HRO, as I was more impressed by DMR than D-Star, C4FM, etc. if AnyTone’s mobile had a remote head, I might go that way too. They came out with a speaker-Mike with a 2" screen, so maybe…

How are you liking the 878? Thats one of the few chinesium radios that didn't immediately turn me off. The only other brand is Hytera but that's $$$$ for the good stuff.

Does DMR support all the gateway stuff you get with d-star or fusion though? (eg, can you set up a hotspot and queue up remotes right from the HT?)

I know it is an open standard. I think it is stupid why I can't buy a radio that does like at least 2 digital modes + FM. IMHO Icom and Yaesu are f***ing themselves by not including a DMR
mode with their stuff so you could use both systems. They could literally build a Fusion + DMR or a Dstar + DMR HT, ruggedize it a bit (antenna connector, speaker mics etc) and set it up right they could sell that for a grand, easy. Same thing with the mobiles. The product lines are scatterbrained at best. Also call me petty but I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH YAESU DOING THIS ALL THE TIME. like every frequency display is italicized and it drives me f***ing nuts. What if I dont want italics? Who is the king at Yaesu that f***ed that up? [laugh] I think the 2980R is normal but most of the newer stuff is GOING FORWARD ALL THE TIME lol. I realize this sounds stupid. But I have a 756 Pro III that is "ancient" compared to newer yaesus and they at least let you pick stuff thats not objectionable.

And yes, you were wrong to dump the D74A, those things are hot ticket radios now because they don't make them anymore. I should have bought the used one I saw at HRO saturday but im sure its gone by now. The killer thing with those is they were legit 3 band radios. Kenwood was the only company that ever gave a shit about 220 mhz.

I ended up buying another barely used ID52A there though because I liked it that much. That and I had 2 x 32GB MicroSD cards too so I had to use up the 2nd one. [laugh] now I am going to end up getting another BP307 probably. too bad the damn packs are like 100 bucks... but those 3000mah packs give some runtime. This thing is miles ahead of the ID-91 and 92 I had.

How are you liking the 878? Thats one of the few chinesium radios that didn't immediately turn me off. The only other brand is Hytera but that's $$$$ for the good stuff.

Does DMR support all the gateway stuff you get with d-star or fusion though? (eg, can you set up a hotspot and queue up remotes right from the HT?)

I know it is an open standard. I think it is stupid why I can't buy a radio that does like at least 2 digital modes + FM. IMHO Icom and Yaesu are f***ing themselves by not including a DMR
mode with their stuff so you could use both systems. They could literally build a Fusion + DMR or a Dstar + DMR HT, ruggedize it a bit (antenna connector, speaker mics etc) and set it up right they could sell that for a grand, easy. Same thing with the mobiles. The product lines are scatterbrained at best. Also call me petty but I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH YAESU DOING THIS ALL THE TIME. like every frequency display is italicized and it drives me f***ing nuts. What if I dont want italics? Who is the king at Yaesu that f***ed that up? [laugh] I think the 2980R is normal but most of the newer stuff is GOING FORWARD ALL THE TIME lol. I realize this sounds stupid. But I have a 756 Pro III that is "ancient" compared to newer yaesus and they at least let you pick stuff thats not objectionable.

And yes, you were wrong to dump the D74A, those things are hot ticket radios now because they don't make them anymore. I should have bought the used one I saw at HRO saturday but im sure its gone by now. The killer thing with those is they were legit 3 band radios. Kenwood was the only company that ever gave a shit about 220 mhz.

I ended up buying another barely used ID52A there though because I liked it that much. That and I had 2 x 32GB MicroSD cards too so I had to use up the 2nd one. [laugh] now I am going to end up getting another BP307 probably. too bad the damn packs are like 100 bucks... but those 3000mah packs give some runtime. This thing is miles ahead of the ID-91 and 92 I had.
Yep - DMR works Direct-RF or by Hotspot. I have a few DMR repeaters in range in the NEDECN (NEDECN – New England Digital Emergency Communications Network) network and can run Digital Monitor to hear all QSOs on the Local, NH/MA/VT/ME Statewide, Northeast and Northern Regional, etc TalkGroups easily. Hearing other Hams blather on just adds to my day 😅

I did keep my TH-D72a, as it has crossband full duplex for satellite work as well as APRS.

Great excuse on that microSD card - I have a spare Icom wrist strap and should buy a ID52a to utilize it fully. 😉

So I keep seeing all posts about ham radios. My Dad had many FCC licenses, and had a part time job running broadcast equipment for channel 38 or 56. He was a "sparky" in the Navy and morse code operator. I was the only kid in grammar school who knew morse code!

So, yesterday I ordered the aformentioned AnyTone AT-D878UVII+ for fun. I figured if @drgrant thought it was OK it would be fine for me to poke around.

I ordered it online at HRO. And it arrive this morning. Hoping to play with it this weekend.

I don't have a license. I took a practice test and didn't pass but knowing what I know about electronics and stuff, I did a credible job. A little studying should put me over the top.

I grew up with this stuff. I still have a Heathkit shortwave radio that I built with my Dad. This one:

Who knows, a new hobby? Or obsession like firearms...

:)

Rich

So I keep seeing all posts about ham radios. My Dad had many FCC licenses, and had a part time job running broadcast equipment for channel 38 or 56. He was a "sparky" in the Navy and morse code operator. I was the only kid in grammar school who knew morse code!

So, yesterday I ordered the aformentioned AnyTone AT-D878UVII+ for fun. I figured if @drgrant thought it was OK it would be fine for me to poke around.

I ordered it online at HRO. And it arrive this morning. Hoping to play with it this weekend.

I don't have a license. I took a practice test and didn't pass but knowing what I know about electronics and stuff, I did a credible job. A little studying should put me over the top.

I grew up with this stuff. I still have a Heathkit shortwave radio that I built with my Dad. This one:

Rich
Good luck studying and taking the exams.

The GR-64 looks like the kit that I built and used for many years. When I moved to NH I was wondering if I still had it, sadly no. No idea when/where I got rid of it.
I have two AnyTone AT-868s and they are great DMR radios. Enjoy!

Rich

Wow Rich you launched yourself into the big kid stuff, already! One of the things about radios like the 878 is that it's basically a commercial radio that happens to have some ham-like
features. So the programming may be overhwelming at first but I bet you can probably figure it out. It's not going to be intuitive like a typical Icom/Yaesu/Kenwood but there is a robust feature set underneath. Think about it like this, you can basically, as the programmer, micromanage the "user experience". EG, they can only do this this or this, or access these channels, etc. So the curve is going to be a bit steep but once you overcome it, you can get it to do what you want.

The tests are easy study the pools enough and you basically can't fail. Then later you can probably bang out general and extra too. Something I still need to do.....

The best thing is once you get your license/call you keep them for life.

Wow Rich you launched yourself into the big kid stuff, already! One of the things about radios like the 878 is that it's basically a commercial radio that happens to have some ham-like
features. So the programming may be overhwelming at first but I bet you can probably figure it out. It's not going to be intuitive like a typical Icom/Yaesu/Kenwood but there is a robust feature set underneath. Think about it like this, you can basically, as the programmer, micromanage the "user experience". EG, they can only do this this or this, or access these channels, etc. So the curve is going to be a bit steep but once you overcome it, you can get it to do what you want.

The tests are easy study the pools enough and you basically can't fail. Then later you can probably bang out general and extra too. Something I still need to do.....

The best thing is once you get your license/call you keep them for life.
As long as you keep paying.

They improved it by increasing it to $35 last year.

Back
Top Bottom