• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Big E" Gun show/Gimme a break!

I just got back from this "gun show". What a joke. There were a few items that I was hoping to find, such as Glock 17 factory mags. There wasn't a single mag to be found. There was a guy selling 20 round P-Mags for the AR 15. However, he was checking ID, and could not sell to a Mass resident. That's right. He's in Mass, at a Mass gun show, selling P-Mags to out of state residents only. Then there were the two fat guys wearing full Vietnam era camo. They looked about 25 years old. I haven't figured out what statement they were trying to make yet. Last but not least, I really want to buy a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag revolver. I found several. Most were beat to shit, and priced in the $800-$1200 range. Give me a f***ing break! The one I found for a paltry $400, the guy refused to sell me, because........drum roll......I'm a Mass resident, and he wasn't sure if we could own these in Mass. So, lemme see if I got this right......You drove your dumb ass all the way to Massachusetts for a gun show, presumably to sell guns (he was a dealer), and you won't sell a gun to a Mass resident???!!! What a f***ing joke! I will NEVER spend another dollar to attend that piss poor excuse for a gun show. I left with two AR-15 chamber brushes. I spent a total of $6.00. Good luck with this place.

Last edited:
I just got back from this "gun show". What a joke. There were a few items that I was hoping to find, such as Glock 17 factory mags. There wasn't a single mag to be found. There was a guy selling 20 round P-Mags for the AR 15. However, he was checking ID, and could not sell to a Mass resident. That's right. He's in Mass, at a Mass gun show, selling P-Mags to out of state residents only. Then there were the two fat guys wearing full Vietnam era camo. They looked about 25 years old. I haven't figured out what statement they were trying to make yet. Last but not least, I really want to buy a Ruger Super Blackhaw .44 mag revolver. I found several. Most were beat to shit, and priced in the $800-$1200 range. Give me a f***ing break! The one I found for a paltry $400, the guy refused to sell me, because........drum roll......I'm a Mass resident, and he wasn't sure if we could own these in Mass. So, lemme see if I got this right......You drove your dumb ass all the way to Massachusetts for a gun show, presumably to sell guns (he was a dealer), and you won't sell a gun to a Mass resident???!!! What a f***ing joke! I will NEVER spend another dollar to attend that piss poor excuse for a gun show. I left with two AR-15 chamber brushes. I spent a total of $6.00. Good luck with this place.

Other than that, how was it?

[rofl]

I used to like going to just about any gun show, but finally gave up going to the Big E show last year. Pay to park, pay to get in, gas, tolls, etc' on top of a half empty building with excessively priced crap. Just not worth it.

Other than that, how was it?

[rofl]

It flat out sucked. Lots of con-artists trying to sell grossly overpriced junk. I saw an SKS for $750. Mossberg 500 shotguns priced to move[rolleyes] for $550 and up. There were a couple of tables that sold miscelaneous parts for old military stuff. They were reasonably priced. There was a plethora of weirdos there. I suppose that was the entertainment I paid for though. [laugh]

A few yeard ago, I would come back with all sorts of stuff. Now, I go to gun shows to eat bad pizza and drink beer. If I find something cool, that's just a bonus.

Ive been going to this show for the last several years and can say its consitantly gotten worse every year! I actually baught a handgun there 2 yrs. back on a Sat. Monday when i got home from work the dealer i bought it from was waiting at my front door to return my money and take back possesion of the gun because it wasnt Mass Comp. He drove from New York for this. Yesterday while i was walking around there was a dealer selling HK 30rnd Mags as Mass Compliant even though HK didnt start making 5.56 30rnd Mags until about 4 yrs. ago. Its Deff. a joke there.

I haven't found any deals at the two or so shows I have been to. They are kind of a joke in Mass. Prices always seemed inflated and the selection is usually crappy. ymmv but I don't plan on going to another any time soon.

I believe there was a big one in PA. this weekend so alot of dealers will skip the Mass one for that one. But still, theres one ammo guy so no comp in prices there and and for the most part its a bunch of over priced junk. One the plus side did get to meet a very nice woman from NES there believe she said Mrs. Magnum was her name. real sweetheart.

I have almost stopped going to shows. I used to go and always by targets and ammo. I haven't seen a paper vendor at one of the shows in years, and we all know about the ammo problems....

I don't think the entertainment value is worth it anymore....

There was a guy selling 20 round P-Mags for the AR 15. However, he was checking ID, and could not sell to a Mass resident. That's right. He's in Mass, at a Mass gun show, selling P-Mags to out of state residents only.

Nice. Isn't it a felony to be in possession of post-ban hi-caps in MA. Doesn't matter if you live somewhere else.

I was planning on going to this one too. Good thing I woke up late and decided to go to the range instead.

Got home and fondled my Mosin for a few hours. Now I think I'll do some laundry.

Yup - the price of attending has finally exceeded the entertainment value.

On the other hand - only six weeks until Marlboro!
Is that a good show?

The only good gun show I've ever been to was at Fort Benning, Georgia, home of the Infantry School, Airborne School, Ranger School, etc. This was the early 80's and you could barely give away an M1911 or a 12 ga pump: going rates were around $250 and $125, IIRC. I knew several senior NCO's who were serious collectors and one Captain who had half a dozen machine guns.

jees, I was commenting to my buddy how many tables were selling glock mags. I wasn't looking for them, but I'm sure someone had to have 17s.

The two "fat guys" (I'm a fat guy too) in camo were about 2 tables in front of us all day. A couple times we caught up, and couldn't get over the smell of them. That said, they seemed harmless.

typical show, depending on what you were looking for, you could find some "decent" buys. My buddy picked up a used 908 from AAA. great price out the door. I bought some cheap optics from the Asian guy that's always there. I was looking for a cheap sp101, ar parts (plenty of them available at the show), a decent IWB holster for my 3913, and I wanted a set of plugs from the custom molding guy, but his table was full both times I went by, so I'll catch him at another show. and I bought some ammo cans

I spent some time talking to the engraving guy, and am thinking of having him do some work. I talked to Kim at the GOAL table (and a guy helping her, but I forget his name) And the ammo guy was too busy packing up at 1:00 to sell me anything "so eff him.

A little smaller than usual, but not crowded at all today. All in All a decent Sunday

I saw 2 glock 17's there and that was all I was looking for all day. It was more interesting people watching as some interesting characters were there.

I believe there was a big one in PA. this weekend so alot of dealers will skip the Mass one for that one. But still, theres one ammo guy so no comp in prices there and and for the most part its a bunch of over priced junk. One the plus side did get to meet a very nice woman from NES there believe she said Mrs. Magnum was her name. real sweetheart.
I met Mrs Magnum as well, very nice gal.

My buddy picked up a 66-4 6" for $400, very pretty gun.

I just got back from this "gun show". What a joke. There were a few items that I was hoping to find, such as Glock 17 factory mags. There wasn't a single mag to be found. There was a guy selling 20 round P-Mags for the AR 15. However, he was checking ID, and could not sell to a Mass resident. That's right. He's in Mass, at a Mass gun show, selling P-Mags to out of state residents only. Then there were the two fat guys wearing full Vietnam era camo. They looked about 25 years old. I haven't figured out what statement they were trying to make yet. Last but not least, I really want to buy a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag revolver. I found several. Most were beat to shit, and priced in the $800-$1200 range. Give me a f***ing break! The one I found for a paltry $400, the guy refused to sell me, because........drum roll......I'm a Mass resident, and he wasn't sure if we could own these in Mass. So, lemme see if I got this right......You drove your dumb ass all the way to Massachusetts for a gun show, presumably to sell guns (he was a dealer), and you won't sell a gun to a Mass resident???!!! What a f***ing joke! I will NEVER spend another dollar to attend that piss poor excuse for a gun show. I left with two AR-15 chamber brushes. I spent a total of $6.00. Good luck with this place.

DAMN! It sounds like you had a good time! I can't wait until next year so I can go.....

The Big-E sucks as a gun show. I've never been, but everyone I know tells me it sucks worse than the other ones in MA do. The ammo tent thing is kind of the nail in the coffin. (creates a monopoly for the 2 or 3 people selling ammo. ) The only good thing about it is that it's in Western MA, which makes it easier for some folks out there to get to. Apparently sometimes you have to pay for parking and the like too, which makes it suck even more.

Then again, I've probably been to gun shows a few dozen times and I only remember being pleased with what I bought about 3 or 4 times. Gun shows are good to waste time at and to meet people you know- not so good if you are actually looking for something. [laugh]

-Mike

I've been to a couple. I won't travel more than 1/2 hour again, no matter how bored I am. I can find most anything on the internet, or using by using the phone.

the show was smaller than usual but i met a few nes people there....kim at the goal table and i believe his name is charlie who was selling eyepro (which i bought for my old eyes). nice people and it was great to put a face with a name.

I was also disappointed with the show. I was there last time (october?) at it was OK...a few cool things. Every time it's the same guys with the same stuff I saw there three years ago.

Did anyone look at the ammo prices at the last Marlboro show? i think someone mentioned there where 7.62x39 case going for about $200 in Marlboro last time? the guy at the bigE was selling it for almost $300.

The one I found for a paltry $400, the guy refused to sell me, because........drum roll......I'm a Mass resident, and he wasn't sure if we could own these in Mass.

No way - everyone knows that anyone off the street can buy any gun they want at a gun show; there's a giant billboard at Fenway Park that says so. “We Sell Guns! No ID. No Background Check Required. Criminals and Terrorists Welcome!” [rolleyes]

Did anyone look at the ammo prices at the last Marlboro show? i think someone mentioned there where 7.62x39 case going for about $200 in Marlboro last time? the guy at the bigE was selling it for almost $300.

Lack of competition leads to higher prices.

Ever wonder why prices for ammo are higher in MA ?

Same principle applies,the shops here don't have to compete with online dealers.

Back
Top Bottom