Bird hunting

I'm going to mark a few choke points on my GPS Saturday. I'll bring the dog in hopes of picking up a few birds. Anyone else going?

Supposedly they are going to drop some pheasant in there tomorrow. I'd like to work them with the dog, but I won't shoot stocked pheasant.

Well, it actually depends on when they were stocked. 9 times out of 10 I walk up and they're just sitting there waiting to be shot.

Hmmm... I've never seen that when I've gone to MA WMA's. I've only seen a handful and they have all taken off and been shot in the air.

Hmmm... I've never seen that when I've gone to MA WMA's. I've only seen a handful and they have all taken off and been shot in the air.

Maybe they are different here, but I can't imagine how. Perhaps in the way they are raised. Back home they stocked them in Union every year and you'd walk around and see them just sitting there on the ground.

I'll be going Monday. And as for stocked birds, if they're still on the ground when I walk up to them, I jump up and down, stomp the ground. I'll even put a round into the ground near them, and if that doesn't get them to fly, I give them a little nudge with my boot. I give them about 15 yards before I shoulder my gun. I won't shoot a bird on the ground, unless it's a cripple on the run. Just my .02.

Kurt

In Myles Standish i found they only kept low when it was really cold out. Then the dogs would almost step on them before they went up. but alas my friend with dogs has moved away and i have not been out for years.

if they sit in western mass they get eaten by coyotes. so they can be very wary.
and besides thats what a dog is for to put them up for you. and if you won't shoot stocked birds you ain't hunting pheasants in mass then they are ALL stocked.

I'm headin' out tommorrow AM and try to kick up a bird or two.

No dogs tho... [sad]

Sometimes its more like takin' a long walk carryin' a shotgun.

Still fun. [smile]

Martlet Just remember to keep it FUN for the pup and you Both will have a great time birds or not. Most of favorite times in the field are with special dogs and my Dad. Pup will do fine.

Martlet Just remember to keep it FUN for the pup and you Both will have a great time birds or not. Most of favorite times in the field are with special dogs and my Dad. Pup will do fine.

Yeah. I've been hunting with dogs since I was 10. Honestly, I could care less if I take a bird or not. I just like working the dog.

I'm not sure how it's going to go, though. I didn't train her 1/10 of what I've trained previous dogs. I trained her more as a pet than a hunter. Still, she has some champion lines in her, so maybe the instinct will take over a little.

Still, she has some champion lines in her, so maybe the instinct will take over a little.

I think after a season she will be just like your previous dogs. It is instinct for them and as you already know they live for it. Just pulling out my shotgun case would make my old dog start jumping up and down. [smile]

Our springer would start in as soon as the weather got cooler. He knew it was hunting season. The black couch potato cocker she's not too sure. Alan took her out and she wouldn't listen to him.[laugh] Big surprise there.
I am one whole loves to watch the dogs work in the fields.

Tomorrow is opening day. I think I'm going to take her into a little swamp I found to bag a few ducks, then stomp for pheasant later in the morning.

I know this may be a little late, but have been jumping some woodcock on a job in north-central VT. They're on the way. A couple here and there. Four a the most, but its only a small plot for my job (surveyor). Tough to shoot at them with a transit.
Great year for partridge, though.

I had a frustrating Fall turkey season in Vermont this past week. I spent a lot of time in the woods, found a large flock, broke them up but just couldn't call them back together. And so my short autumn turkey season ends without a turkey for Thanksgiving.

Anyone get a fall turkey? Let me live vicariously through you! The toms in this one flock had beards dragging on the ground. I guess that means they'll be even bigger come spring.

I did have some great upland hunts with my brother. We bagged several woodcock and I got a huge partridge on Sunday in very thick cover:

grousemarshhillwebnb1.jpg

It was an older male with a full crop of fresh fallen apples. We were hunting an old apple orchard that was so dense it was almost un-walkable. This big guy flushed and went high to clear the cover. One shot brought him down. A beautiful bird with rich brown feathers and a chest full of delicious meat.

The neat thing was that my father had revealed this orchard to us the day before as one of his secret hunting coverts of yore. He hunted it decades ago, so it was a special day to bring home a big bird from one of my dad's old haunts.

We're having a big game supper tomorrow night and I can't wait!

I'm thinking of doing some MA bird hunting on Saturday morning. I've never hunted in MA, so we'll see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom