• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Black powder revolvers

Hi All,

I'm interested in getting involved in black powder revolvers. I need some advice as I don't know where to start. Who makes a good reliable one? What caliber? What barrel length? Type of powder? etc.

I know Cabellas is having a sale on them right now and wanted to do some investigation.

Also, if I decide to get a black powder rifle I would like it to be the same caliber.

Any and all information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Scooter58

Any of the current reproductions will do you fine.

Powder choice is largly dependent on caliber, but for 30-45cal 3F black powder will work well.

As far as getting a revolver and rifle in the same caliber, you might have an issue there, a revolver uses an oversize ball and no patch, and rifle would use an undersize ball with a lubed patch.

Other than that, pick one you like and get some hands on instruction.

First resource I always suggest is BP shooters around your club...who knows....there may be a used revolver that comes with instruction.

The big difference between BP and smokeless is in the cleaning...a completely different world.

I've done a bit with the kids, and it''s a fun game. Enjoy!

I also would like to expand our shooting fun into the powder world, just gotta pay this years hockey fees and I'm free to get some new hardware, it seems like a bunch of dirty fun, just got to make sure my boys don't use the balls for slingshots.

I have my Dad's Ruger Old Army in Stainless, and love it. It's easy to use and clean and accurate as hell right from the box. Everyone gets a kick out of the muzzle flash the first time they see it fire. I want to say that the rear sight is adjustable, but it's been some time since I had it out. Still priced reasonable.

I'll offer this here as well, anyone interested in learning how to shoot muzzle loaders is more than welcome to contact me and join me at my local club (or bribe me to come to yours) for an afternoon of clouds of smoke and great fun, oh and a little learning too.

I just started getting into BP, and it's fun. My dad gave my his 1851 Navy Colt in .36 and a .50 cal Hawkens rifle recently. They are a lot of fun. Blue Northern Trading in Ayer has a decent selection of pistols and rifles, and they stock shot and powder, powder measures, and a few books on the topic.

I'll make the same offer as JohnFH for those in central mass. I live near Worcester and am a member at Hopkinton. .44 cal Colt Navy, .50 cal Hawken style rifle and .75 cal Brown Bess Musket. (The most fun!) I use only real black powder and cleaning after is a must.

Michael.

I think JohnFH is correct about caliber. I can't think of a caliber that uses the same size ball in both rifle and revolver. The only way I can think of that you could get a rifle and handgun in the same caliber would be to get a single shot pistol. I have a Ruger Old Army and it's very accurate. It comes with fixed or adjustable sights,in blue or stainless and with 51/2" or 71/2" barrel. Revolvers are usually either Colt or Remington style. The Colt style has no top strap and the rear sight is a notch in the nose of the hammer. The Remington style has a top strap and the rear sight is a groove in the top strap. The Remington style is stronger but I like the longer grip of the Colt army style. Army models are .44 caliber and navy model;s are supposed to be .36 caliber but some come in .44. Most of my revolvers are .44 but I have an 1861 navy in .36 caliber. It's second only to the Old Army in accuracy, very pleasant and cheaper to shoot than the .44's

Not being very experienced in BP, I feel comfortable in suggesting this [smile]: there should be an NES Intro to Black Powder Shoot so that newbies and experienced BP can mix and mingle, and learn.

I did my first shooting with book-larnin', and still have my fingers and other appendages, but a "sensei" would have been a bit helpful.

I have a couple Remington-type revolvers made by Pietta that I did not have any problems with. I ordered them from Dixie. Don't know if they will still ship here (MA). dixiegunworksdotcom
GC

Back
Top Bottom