Bob's Tactical in Salisbury MA

Anyone been here lately? In searching for recent threads I see there was a death there (no foul play) about a month ago. Wondering if it's open still, what type or a place it is, etc. I've taken my class and am now waiting for my LTC to go through, and was hoping to find a place to squeeze off a few rounds on a rental to get my "fix" until I can purchase my own firearm and join a private club.

I went about a week and a half ago with my wife. It is a no-frills place, but if you're just looking to get your "fix," then it should fit the bill. We went on a Friday around 5PM. There were a few other shooters there, but only about 1/3 of the lanes were being used. I rented 2 handguns (have to buy their ammo with their rentals). The counter staff was nice and helpful. No complaints.

Sounds like you and I are in the same position, waiting for our LTC.

I was at Bob's last night with a buddy. No frills indeed, but a good place to get started and try out maybe 20 handguns. About 8 lanes (but only 2-3 were in use) and open till at least 9pm. $20 for a lane, $20 for a rental gun that you can swap-out during you session, and then of course ammo. But it's low-key and easy going, more guys hanging out than actually shooting. The guy a couple lanes down had a 357magnum...damn, what a boom.

Didn't ask about the incident.

Thanks guys. It's a little over an hour away from me here in Fitchburg, but sounds like it's worth checking out once or twice while I wait. Is that a $20 timed session? Or stay as long as you like?

Not sure...we paid $20 for about 1.5 hours. Might only be an issue if they're busy.

BTW, it's officially "Original Bob's". http://www.originalbobsshootingrange.com

I think it's supposed to be $20 an hour. They may only enforce it when it's busy though. Saturday and Sundays are packed, so either try to go real early or real late in the day. Last Sunday there was a line that filled every lane before the door even opened.

I've been to Bob's in Salisbury twice. First time I bought a Ruger 22/45 painlessly for a fair price. They also offer a free rental when you buy a firearm from them and for me threw in 100 rounds of 22lr, targets, and a rental fee for a 9mm but YMMV. I went early on a Friday afternoon and had the range to myself for a full 3 hours.

I went back again yesterday and had another pleasant experience. Fondled some revolvers and they looked up some prices on stuff they didn't have in stock (10% over cost). I paid for range time and its my understanding that its a flat $20 for range time, but as noted above it could be different on peak weekend hours. I had the range to myself for 90% of the time.

A couple minor problems I've run into on my two trips. First being that their Ammo was a little pricey... $8 for 100 CCI 22lr and $22 for a 50 box of .45 M&M reloads. I figure that is how they make their money off the tourists coming in to rent guns and buy ammo so power to them for making money. I smartened up the 2nd time and brought my own ammo so just a word to the wise. In addition, yesterday I wanted to rent a Glock 17 and/or 19, but both were broken. Plenty of other good stuff to rent tho so no real problem there.

Overall, pleasant experiences and I recommend to anyone trying to get some range time or feel out some guns. I should have my membership to a local club in July so I'm not sure how often I'll be making trips up there again, but it was a good time and worth the drive.

If you're up at Hampton Beach on a rainy day, or want to escape the crowd, get your buddy & head on down & check out Bob's.
About a mile south of 286 on Rte 1
lots of stuff - even 303 ammo & zombie targets - A great way to "test drive" a gun you're thinking of buying -
they have a nice overhead target crank system & said the backstop can handle all pistol calibers
A little expensive, but about the same cost as a deep-sea fishing trip for you & your pal!!

Do you guys know if you can shot your own gun and use your own ammo???

Did not see that on thier website.

Thanks

Yes, of course you can!

-Mike

Thanks wasn't sure as there is no membership money coming in, thought that they may pay the bills through rentals, guns and ammo sales.

Sounds like a great deal. $20 an hour, thought there must be a catch. After all this is Massachusetts. [grin]

Hey guys, I'm still waiting for my LTC and my trigger finger has been itching for some action. I haven't been to either Bob's or AFS yet but Bob's looks like it's a bit cheaper for range/gun rental. How are the ammo prices here compared to American Firearms School?

I've been to Bob's twice now and was very well treated both times. They are an enthusiastically helpful group of guys which is exactly what I needed when trying to decide on a next purchase. I've always gone on a weeknights so no lines, no crowds and you can spend some time pickin' their brains a little afterwards. They also have the M&M Reloads brand of ammo which is a great deal for those who can't find what they need at Walmart (or those who can't buy ammo from Walmart yet.)

J

Just my $.02

I taught my fiance how to shoot there. $20 per hour and they let us both use one lane. It's also my favorite lunchtime spot when I have the time. Everyone should get there at since point. Always polite, knowledgable, and they even stock .357 Sig. Win!

Sent from my Motorola Photon Torpedo using Tapatalk

Very friendly, good peoples over there. I have heard from more new shooters getting their first shots fired there then almost anywhere else for the North Shore and Merrimac Valley. I have good memories also but I don't get back often enough. Looks like its on my radar to stop by when I am in the area next.

I always go there good people they don't charge by the hour is $20 you can stay there as long as you want if you bring more then 2people the 3rd person is $5 on top

Bob's is great and a great value. They Don't really watch the clock. Just don't be a punk and they will treat you fine.

Think of it as more of a bowling alley atmosphere, with guns. I have purchased a few toys there and have been VERY happy with the level of service and the help they offer. The carry SigSaur and a whole host of other brands but they are not FULLY stocked like 4S, NS, or CC might be. They like to say that they are more of a range that also sells guns then a gun store where you can shoot.

Definitely go! Bring a friend, bring a date, bring your eyes and ears and bring your wallet.

I've been there multiple times, they've always treated me very well and even offered to hold guns for me with a deposit while I waited to go for my license. I don't find their prices to be TOO bad in comparison to other ranges you are able to rent at.

Back
Top Bottom