Body Cams for Cops: For or against?

Body Cams for Cops?

• Yes to body Cams at all interactions.

Votes: 137 91.3%
  • No to body cams at any interation.

Votes: 13 8.7%

• Total voters
I want them so when the percentage of non-violent encounters becomes obvious, people will stop with the whole 'cops just want to shoot people' BS will go away.

What I am afraid of: If the camera malfunctions, all the blowhards on the site will automatically resort to 'He must be trying to hide something'.

The cops as victims bullshit has had its day, but thankfully people are waking up.

Last edited:
I want them so when the percentage of non-violent encounters becomes obvious, people will stop with the whole 'cops just want to shoot people' BS will go away.

What I am afraid of: If the camera malfunctions, all the blowhards on the site will automatically resort to 'He must be trying to hide something'.

I don't believe most rational people believe cops just want to shoot people. I also agree that the number of encounters that turn violent is very small. MY issue is the small number of crappy LEOs who abuse their power and ruin people's lives without REAL consequence (paid vacation). The number of these encounters being caught on camera is making it very difficult to retain people who may be better suited to laying asphalt. Hopefully it will also cause an officer to think 3 times before drawing his firearm and pulling the trigger.

I want a dash-cam to protect me and I'm willing to pay for it.

If cops were held accountable they'd want body-cams and they'd be willing to pay for them.

If I were a police chief I'd want my officers to have body-cams. People who know they're on camera are more likely to act responsibly and I'd want my term as PC to be an honorable one.

The cops as victims bullshit has had its day, but thankfully people are waking up.

Except for in "still asleep" ultra Lib states where "Cops are good"..."Only cops should own guns"...etc etc

If cops were held accountable they'd want body-cams and they'd be willing to pay for them. If I were a police chief I'd want my officers to have body-cams. People who know they're on camera are more likely to act responsibly and I'd want my term as PC to be an honorable one.

Chief Tom agrees.

View attachment 144117

Last edited:
I don't believe most rational people believe cops just want to shoot people. I also agree that the number of encounters that turn violent is very small. MY issue is the small number of crappy LEOs who abuse their power and ruin people's lives without REAL consequence (paid vacation). The number of these encounters being caught on camera is making it very difficult to retain people who may be better suited to laying asphalt. Hopefully it will also cause an officer to think 3 times before drawing his firearm and pulling the trigger.

I agree with most of this, the last sentence bothers me. Hesitation will get you killed if the situation truly warrants deadly force.

But as you can tell from the other posts, some here simply believe that all cops are just out to beat or shoot people for no reason. I firmly believe that once cams are the norm, you will see that most allegations are BS. It's just with social media being the way it is, the first one to tell a story generally gets the ball rolling in their way.

Look at several releases in the past couple of weeks where people have claimed some kind of -ism. The police release tapes and the actual story is much different from the original claim.

I agree with most of this, the last sentence bothers me. Hesitation will get you killed if the situation truly warrants deadly force.

Hesitation could get you killed in a deadly force situation. However, many "deadly force" situations can be resolved without deadly force, depending upon the type and distance of the encounter.

That aside, I'm of the belief that an LEO should always use deadly force as a last resort. The risk involved is part of the job. Due to the power over life and liberty that is granted to police, I don't believe their right to self-defense is on the same level as a citizen when they're wearing the badge. Out of uniform, yes. In, no. When wearing that badge, they are a tool of the State, and the State should serve the people, not rule them.

No, I mean, they'll be produced by the lowest bidder. Instead of the most robust, we'll get crap that breaks when you look at it sideways.

So some here will just leap to OMGOMGOMGOMG he MUST be doing something wrong, if the video is off or some combination of failure in the system.

Well Taser makes body cameras (as well as one that mounts to a glasses frame for true POV recording) and from what I hear they are very well made. So I'm not sure you will see the "lowest bidder" phenomenon happen, especially when you consider the technology is pretty robust as it is now anyway.

I'm sure there are the types who go fight town hall when they were actually in the wrong. Those are the types that would be against body cameras. The feeling would be that it would make it hard to fight things off in court.

I'm 110% for body cams. I think even the best cops occasionally let their authority go to their head, and can throw an unlawful order or arrest at someone because they were annoyed at some backtalk. I can understand that, as officers are people too, but body cams help keep everyone completely honest. They protect good officers from crappy people, and protect good people from crappy officers.

Back
Top Bottom