Book Review: The Courage To Be Free (Charlton Heston)

"Dare to consider both sides of any issue.
And find the courage to question authority."

- Charlton Heston, Remarks at Brandeis University, March 2000​

TheCouragetoBeFree.jpg

Title: The Courage To Be Free
Author: Charlton Heston
Publisher: Saudade Press
Pub. Date: 2000
Hardcover, 286 pages

I originally bought this book for my dad as a birthday (or Father's Day?) gift years ago...he never read it but I picked it up from him to read recently as my interest in firearms has peaked as of lately and perhaps taking into account the author's passing last year. Most of you know Charlton Heston from his movies and his NRA leadership but you might not be aware of his beliefs and values.

Each chapter is an essay that Mr. Heston's wrote pertaining to a given topic (culturalism, revisionism, the Second Amendment, etc.); this content comprises the first half (162 pp.) of the book. The remaining half of the book are selected speeches that the author gave from 1996 - 2000 during his early days with the NRA.

I have to admit I had presumed that the book was going to be only about his pro-gun beliefs and the Second Amendment but I was mistaken. It's much more than that: it's a call to activism. The book's theme is that freedom depends on people of courage. The courage to be free requires that we put our time and energy into what we believe in. I had no idea that he has lived a life of activism, even demonstrating with Dr. Martin Luther King back in the day.

The crux of his message is the Ten Covenants of Courage, one of which ends each of his essay chapters:

1. Find ways to influence government in all of its forms
2. Be willing to disobey
3. Take absolute and resolute pride in your own values
4. Defend America as the peerless ideal
5. Fiercely preserve all the rights outlines in the Bill of Rights
6. Find the way to your loudest possible voice and speak
7. Embrace change
8. Find myriad avenues to pass on your convictions
9. Accept that sacrifice is just part of the deal
10. Commit to the daily process of private prayer

At first I wasn't going to read any of his speeches in the appendix but then I changed my mind - and I'm glad I did. Yes, there were several instances of repeated language as he borrowed verbiage from prior speeches but there also were instances of new thoughts, ideas and calls to action. I was rewarded when I read his March 2000 speech at Brandeis University...I had almost forgotten: my dad & I actually went there to see him speak but the line was enormous and we had to leave because it was so full we couldn't get it. At least now (nearly 9 years later) I got to read what he came to speak about that day.

If you'd like to see some of Mr. Heston's speeches, a 100-minute DVD "A Patriot at the Podium: The Public Life of NRA President Charlton Heston is available from the NRA Store ($6) containing excerpts from 28 of his addresses from 1989 - 2003. This makes a great video supplement to his book.

I found this book to be inspirational. Read this book not necessarily for its pro-gun stance but for its message of action, of general activism, and the call to action - for whatever the cause that you believe in. It was a wake-up call and a kick in the butt for me, so will it be for you.

I have this book also and I found it to be a great, quick read. Learned a lot about Heston as well, I was really surprised with it. I have the deepest respect for Mr Heston after reading his book. I think everyone should read it.

Thanks for the review and sharing your thoughts. Think I'll be picking up a copy also.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll add it to the list of books to read before I die. At this rate I better live a long life ... and there aren't many books on the list [laugh].

Back
Top Bottom