• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bore Snake

I have a Ruger 10/22 and a bore snake. Do you guys spray solvent down the muzzle then draw the snake thru it from the muzzle first or receiver first? Or do you guys dip the bristle end of the bore snake in solvent and draw it through?

Last edited:
i cut up the 1" square patches in half, dip a few in Hopps 9 and then run a few clean ones... the small .22 bore brushes i have are useless [laugh]

i only use a bore brush when i run dirty ammo... (rare occasion - like thunderbolt's or something)

Thanks Wolf, sorry but I just realized I meant to say Bore Snake. I will change the title.

Do the Jags work the same way in that you put a patch in it and push it thru witht he jag?

I normally spray M Pro-7 down the barrel till it runs out the muzzle. Let it sit for a minute, the pull the boresnake through.

I normally spray M Pro-7 down the barrel till it runs out the muzzle. Let it sit for a minute, the pull the boresnake through.

+1,

I will then repeat 2 more times w/MPro -7 solvent (let it sit for a few minutes each time) and then add MPro oil to barrel and run the BS through it again...stuff works great and barrel is good as new

I do both applications, cleaner down the bore and applied to the snake forward of the brush.

Not much chance of dinging the muzzle crown with a boresnake, but "always from the breach end" is a good habit to cultivate.

That's too much work! I just apply the cleaner, run the snake 2 or 3 times and that's it for the barrel. A toothbrush followed by a couple of Q-Tips to the breach-face and environs and that's all folks!

Now if we were talking about a SIG, well, that would be a different story.[cheers]

That's too much work! I just apply the cleaner, run the snake 2 or 3 times and that's it for the barrel. A toothbrush followed by a couple of Q-Tips to the breach-face and environs and that's all folks!

Now if we were talking about a SIG, well, that would be a different story.[cheers]

Got 3 Sigs and yes it's force of habit as I am usually shooting the 226 or the 1911 and the P22 the same day...love my Sigs!

I just pull a dry boresnake through once or twice, unless it's really bad, then I give it a little squirt of CLP down the barrel first.

I put solvent on the first set of bristles and draw it thru 3-4 times. I use a rod with oiled patch on a jag after I'm done with the Bore Snake.

I like the bore snakes
I run them dry after every trip then a quick oil patch, My 22s dont see much "cleaning" until accuracy falls way off.

I have been shooting Federal thru my 22 and gave around 1500 rounds thru it, so I was thinking of cleaning it before I shoot it again.

I've heard from a few people that shoot .22 target rifles that a Bore Snake is the best method of cleaning because a certain degree of fouling is needed to keep your barrel accurate. This is why I never scrubbed my 10/22 target rifle I built and have a used a Bore Snake from day one. I can still to this day shoot 10 rounds at 100 yards and cover the group with a quarter using a cheap Butler Creek barrel and mostly stock 10/22 set up.[wink]

I spray the first section (right before the bristles) of the Bore Snake with CLP, then drop it through and pull through the muzzle. Twice is the norm.

My ideology is that the first part soaks the bore, the bristles clean, then the tail end dries.

I should also add I'm shooting Wolf ammo. Its really hands down the most accurate .22lr ammo I've ever shot.

I run mine through dry until it's time to really clean. Then when I do decide to actually use solvent, I drizzle some down the Barrel, let it sit for 15-minutes, then run the boresnake through and have a nice day...I haven't used a cleaning rod in a couple of years now and guess what? My guns are clean. Progress....

How many rounds do you find before you really need to clean it?

at least 1k or so for me w / my 10/22, M&P 15/22 and AR's... but it's more... [laugh]

on the .22's, usually when i get more than 2 or 3 FTFs FTE's per 100 or so rounds using mini mags... unless it's from my "bad" batch with excessive wax built up on the cases...

on the AR's, i can feel the bolt grinding.... [smile]

at least 1k or so for me w / my 10/22, M&P 15/22 and AR's... but it's more... [laugh]

on the .22's, usually when i get more than 2 or 3 FTFs FTE's per 100 or so rounds using mini mags... unless it's from my "bad" batch with excessive wax built up on the cases...

on the AR's, i can feel the bolt grinding.... [smile]

Pretty much that... I clean my AR more, because I shoot it more, but my 22's get filthy. KMM696 finally guilted me into cleaning my Ruger 10/22, as he declared it a smoothbore...[smile]

KMM696 finally guilted me into cleaning my Ruger 10/22, as he declared it a smoothbore...[smile]

Bah, you should have left it. If you foul it more, the rifling actually starts going in the other direction.

OP, I clean my .22s whenever I happen to see my boresnake lying around. I think that averages out to about every 1k rounds or so, but I've never had any problems with letting it go past that.

I'll bite, what's different about cleaning a SIG?

I've heard from a few people that shoot .22 target rifles that a Bore Snake is the best method of cleaning because a certain degree of fouling is needed to keep your barrel accurate. This is why I never scrubbed my 10/22 target rifle I built and have a used a Bore Snake from day one. I can still to this day shoot 10 rounds at 100 yards and cover the group with a quarter using a cheap Butler Creek barrel and mostly stock 10/22 set up.[wink]

I spray the first section (right before the bristles) of the Bore Snake with CLP, then drop it through and pull through the muzzle. Twice is the norm.

My ideology is that the first part soaks the bore, the bristles clean, then the tail end dries.

I should also add I'm shooting Wolf ammo. Its really hands down the most accurate .22lr ammo I've ever shot.

This is what I do, except I shoot Federal 550 bulk packs instead of Wolf, and my barrel is a Whistle Pig. [smile]

I'm also shooting the Federal Bulk high velocity. What exactly is a "whistle pig" I have never heard that before.

Back
Top Bottom