Boston globe Mill article

Just curious, did the town have money lying around to buy this place? Don't they have to appropriate with town meeting approval in advance? Not quite sure how they are proposing to do this. Have towns bought out other businesses they disagree with in the past?

Watch out for the out of town groups that come in and put t-shirts on chairs to "reserve" them. Make sure to show up early so the whole front row isn't already taken up. Also, if you plan to speak, make sure to get your name on the speaking list, which they usually have.

I'm surprised the Chamber of Commerce isn't all over this. Aren't they usually the ones trying to propose bringing more business to town?

Just curious, did the town have money lying around to buy this place? Don't they have to appropriate with town meeting approval in advance? Not quite sure how they are proposing to do this. Have towns bought out other businesses they disagree with in the past?
Yes, it’s been done. Often times at a net profit for the towns. They can probably swing it with free cash.

I only say that as it recently happened in our town. The town bought an old mill that was abandoned and tore it down. They later sold it for twice the cost.

It’s now a massive apartment building that’s mostly empty and a complete eye sore.

I only say that as it recently happened in our town. The town bought an old mill that was abandoned and tore it down. They later sold it for twice the cost.

It’s now a massive apartment building that’s mostly empty and a complete eye sore.

Yeah but in this case, if what Jack says is correct (I have no doubt it is) then they can't really do that. The town can't flip to residential because of the sewer issue. And residential is the most quick and lucrative outcome for a town trying to do some virtue signaling BS like that.

Yeah but in this case, if what Jack says is correct (I have no doubt it is) then they can't really do that. The town can't flip to residential because of the sewer issue. And residential is the most quick and lucrative outcome for a town trying to do some virtue signaling BS like that.a nice
We've been working with the town planner for a while now. It's no secret. They would very much like to change the zoning to residential and have a nice condo/apartment/mixed use complex instead an old mill on the property. To get permitted and with the sewer issue, etc. I figure that the tenants will be safe for at least two more years. Possibly more since the sewer project looks like it will a "big dig". We are not able to do it, it would take a developer with deep pockets. Someone could buy it now, run it as is and live off the NOI while they are planning for the future. Jack.

Last edited:
We've been working with the town planner for a while now. It's no secret. They would very much like to change the zoning to residential and have a nice condo/apartment/mixed use complex instead an old mill on the property. To get permitted and with the sewer issue, etc. I figure that the tenants will be safe for at least two more years. Possibly more since the sewer project looks like it will a "big dig". Jack.
Strange, because most towns prefer business over residential for the taxes.

Yeah but in this case, if what Jack says is correct (I have no doubt it is) then they can't really do that. The town can't flip to residential because of the sewer issue. And residential is the most quick and lucrative outcome for a town trying to do some virtue signaling BS like that.
Someone with a brain.
Thank you.

I finally read the article. I had to do a google search..... :)

cantankerous

kăn-tăng′kər-əs

adjective​

1. Ill-tempered and quarrelsome; disagreeable.
  2. Difficult to handle.
  3. Perverse; contentious; ugly; malicious.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
Poor @Junior314 was just offering his support and he got his ears slapped back by the cantankerous old man for his efforts 🤣🤣🤣

"The Mill is on its last legs anyway..."

Eh?

And this woman is "glad to live in Massachusetts" because there's so much red tape. I'm not shocked, but... wow.

Then the next: "I don't hate guns, I just don't want them where I live." Well. All righty, then.

Back
Top Bottom