• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Braintree Rifle and Pistol Question

I tried to register for the orientation this Sunday 17JAN - looks to be filled. Anyway I can wiggle in? If not, can I visit, check out the range and shoot some - with the legitimate intent of joining? I have my LTC and am currently a member of another range in Boston.

I tried to register for the orientation this Sunday 17JAN - looks to be filled. Anyway I can wiggle in? If not, can I visit, check out the range and shoot some - with the legitimate intent of joining? I have my LTC and am currently a member of another range in Boston.

If >100 people actually show up there won't be any "wiggle room" in the clubhouse!! I've had 105 there when we had Chief Ron Glidden talk and some were on the stairs others standing in the doorways . . . it was over-crowded. So, I expect that you'll have to wait for February unless they pull off a second class this month (very doubtful).

Sorry, but you can only shoot if you are a guest of a club member. With the mob in the new clubhouse, you won't even be able to climb thru the people to look around the range on Sunday.

If you come over on Saturday between 11AM and 1PM I can definitely show you around, but can't promise any shooting as I'm on duty as the RO and need to be able to wander around as needed and thus can't stay with a guest (which is the club rule). At 1PM the women take over the old clubhouse for their Second Amendment Sisters meeting/shooting.

If >100 people actually show up there won't be any "wiggle room" in the clubhouse!! I've had 105 there when we had Chief Ron Glidden talk and some were on the stairs others standing in the doorways . . . it was over-crowded. So, I expect that you'll have to wait for February unless they pull off a second class this month (very doubtful).

Sorry, but you can only shoot if you are a guest of a club member. With the mob in the new clubhouse, you won't even be able to climb thru the people to look around the range on Sunday.

If you come over on Saturday between 11AM and 1PM I can definitely show you around, but can't promise any shooting as I'm on duty as the RO and need to be able to wander around as needed and thus can't stay with a guest (which is the club rule). At 1PM the women take over the old clubhouse for their Second Amendment Sisters meeting/shooting.

Fair enough - thanks for the info. Nevertheless, I think I'll tag along with Flintoid this Sunday as he is registered for the orientation. If by a miracle I can sit for the orientation, I will gladly do so. If not, I presume I can nevertheless check the place out as Flintoid's guest.

Ref. the dog question, I ran a Springer for ten years and a Shorthair for 12 on the club property but different times and fewer people then. People have periodically brought pets to the club but it is rare. The only exception is the Recording Sec. who brings his trained Shepard up to the office most Sundays. Keep in mind not all people are dog lovers. I can count the number of times my dogs were in the Clubhouse as less then a dozen over 20 years. It is BRP not Braintree Rod and Hunt though I wish it were. Never saw a dog on the firing line in over 40 years when shooting was going on. Hope this helps. ..daryl

Thanks. I agree. I would only bring her in after asking the people there if it was OK, and if it was a small amount of people. She doesn't leave my side much anyway. (Daddy's girl)

I am pretty good at estimating distance and I have a much better odometer since I actually calibrated the thing. I am always around the area. At this point I would stand by the 2 since I have not actually had any purpose to go from there to the Braintree club except for once. I was not using the odometer at the time. If you come out at 1.875 miles or such I might believe it.

The only T accessible club seems to be in dorchester. My club requires a walk, but you can take a bus( heh! ) and walk less.

Scituate would have been a PIA to manage.
Marshfield is way too far.
The same for Pembroke, Kingston...

Hanson might be only a mile from the commuter rail station in Hanson. You have a nice club with a pistol team, working out door ranges, trap, and an indoor range.

Great club! I am pretty amped after that orientation and the time I spent at the range afterwards. Got the PSL behaving well, but couldn't sight in the fs2k due to the crappy ammo it wouldn't eat and then not being able to see where I was hitting without a spotting scope.

word to the wise: if you become a member, get a staple gun (for targets), a spotting scope (for the rifle range) and enjoy the ride [grin]

the_doctor,

I'll try to remember to actually clock it again when I visit BR&P . . . although I will likely forget by then. I only go there a couple of times/month.

BTW: I know that you complained about the smoke in the new clubhouse. It adversely affects my allergies too. I just found out that there is a timer switch to the right of the door as you enter the clubhouse and this controls the smoke-eaters. They do the job very well when they are on (which has been almost never over the past few years . . . I thought that they were broken). Even as a visitor, if you go there and smoke bothers you, turn them on!

I love dogs - most animals - but am allergic to them. Being near them makes my eyes water and the congestion makes it difficult to breathe. Sadly it doesn't take much exposure, doesn't require that I touch the animal, but it would ruin my shooting.

Supposedly we have been promised no smoking until the score sheet is signed. I have been told that they do not wait for us to exit the building. It is a very nice indoor pistol range, but the smoking really is too much for me. Just a bit of smoke affects me. I have a higher VO2Max than club members and I also inhale the smoke faster. it is no picnic.

the_doctor,

I'll try to remember to actually clock it again when I visit BR&P . . . although I will likely forget by then. I only go there a couple of times/month.

BTW: I know that you complained about the smoke in the new clubhouse. It adversely affects my allergies too. I just found out that there is a timer switch to the right of the door as you enter the clubhouse and this controls the smoke-eaters. They do the job very well when they are on (which has been almost never over the past few years . . . I thought that they were broken). Even as a visitor, if you go there and smoke bothers you, turn them on!

I managed to 'wiggle' in on the 17th with Flintoid. Took the orientation then screwed around on the pistol range. I cant wait to shoot out doors this summer, what a change from my former indoor only club.

The FN P35 was awesome as usual - double taps are a piece of cake. The reset on the trigger is so short you can blast away as fast as you want/can. The M&P9 was good as usual - lots of M&P pistols there yesterday. I did have some issues with the 1918 Luger - a very nice gentlemen showed some interest in the vintage piece so I let him burn through a mag (he even replaced the ammo - thanks, whoever you are) and the fella put up a 1" group!! He was impressed with the Luger - I was impressed with him. Then on the next mag she started doubling up on me... eh, she's 92 years old. She ran like a clock long enough for me and the gentlemen next to me to have some fun, then maybe when she got warmed up and the springs started getting moved around - she started doubling. I put her away after that - today I'll detail strip and look around at everything. A safe, fun day with clear crisp weather. Great club, excellent facilities and cool people all around. (The indoor smoking is a bit much, but i'll live)

Supposedly we have been promised no smoking until the score sheet is signed. I have been told that they do not wait for us to exit the building. It is a very nice indoor pistol range, but the smoking really is too much for me. Just a bit of smoke affects me. I have a higher VO2Max than club members and I also inhale the smoke faster. it is no picnic.

Now that I told you where the switch is (I always thought it was locked in a side storage room) put the smoke-eaters on. They create a lot of airflow and should at least be a big help, if not alleviate your problem.

I'm allergic to the smoke but since it does not make me sick physically, I don't make an issue about it.

I managed to 'wiggle' in on the 17th with Flintoid. Took the orientation then screwed around on the pistol range. I cant wait to shoot out doors this summer, what a change from my former indoor only club.

The FN P35 was awesome as usual - double taps are a piece of cake. The reset on the trigger is so short you can blast away as fast as you want/can. The M&P9 was good as usual - lots of M&P pistols there yesterday. I did have some issues with the 1918 Luger - a very nice gentlemen showed some interest in the vintage piece so I let him burn through a mag (he even replaced the ammo - thanks, whoever you are) and the fella put up a 1" group!! He was impressed with the Luger - I was impressed with him. Then on the next mag she started doubling up on me... eh, she's 92 years old. She ran like a clock long enough for me and the gentlemen next to me to have some fun, then maybe when she got warmed up and the springs started getting moved around - she started doubling. I put her away after that - today I'll detail strip and look around at everything. A safe, fun day with clear crisp weather. Great club, excellent facilities and cool people all around. (The indoor smoking is a bit much, but i'll live)

I was the guy on the other side of you with the pair of M&P's and the nickel hand-cannon. :) Nice to put faces to names.

At yesterday's orientation Don mentioned that GOAL has reached an agreement with the AG to get 70% of the guns currently banned back on the approved roster but the governor will not sign off. Does anyone know more about this? I'd like to send a letter in support of this but do not know what exactly to reference.

At yesterday's orientation Don mentioned that GOAL has reached an agreement with the AG to get 70% of the guns currently banned back on the approved roster but the governor will not sign off. Does anyone know more about this? I'd like to send a letter in support of this but do not know what exactly to reference.

I heard Don say something like this at the meeting last Monday. It just doesn't sound right . . . that's not the way "approvals" work (e.g. the Gov has no direct say/sign-off) so I doubt this is correct info. I do have a theory as to what this is about, but have no idea if my theory is correct or not here, so I'll keep it to myself rather than add speculation that might likely be incorrect.

I was the guy on the other side of you with the pair of M&P's and the nickel hand-cannon. :) Nice to put faces to names.

2-3 of us shoot every Sunday morning. It would be nice to put some faces with their NES name. However, I am usually smoke'n a cigar, so it sounds like a few of you will not be happy about that. Like I said, if it bothers you I will be happy to put it out, just tell me.

If you ever see a guy constantly sighting in a fs2000 or banging off rounds through a "dragunov" PSL, that would be me [smile] I was there today and ran into a bunch of friendly guys on my way out of the range. And the RO was really nice. This club is growing on me fast!

If you ever see a guy constantly sighting in a fs2000 or banging off rounds through a "dragunov" PSL, that would be me [smile] I was there today and ran into a bunch of friendly guys on my way out of the range. And the RO was really nice. This club is growing on me fast!

There were three NESer down the pistol range at the time [smile] I was the one shooting the Savage 10FP next to you, Bob J was the RO and Patriot was down the other side of the range too. I was very jealous of the fs2000 [wink]

It was shooting ok when I was running brass rounds through it. I had been having troubles with crappy barnaul and wolf in it until I switched the gas setting to 'shit ammo' mode and then it shot well. Accuracy was to be desired with the russian stuff, but with federal brass it seemed to be fairly consistent. I didn't quite get it sighted in with the little brass I had, and then messed with the eotech while shooting the russian stuff and I doubt it was a good idea [grin]. I'm just glad it'll chew through crappy stuff through various mags, even 10 round c-products cheapies.

Back
Top Bottom