Browing Buck Mark

Garys

NES Member
I might have a chance to buy a used one. 4" barrel, adjustable sights. From what I've been able to see from looking at the Standard Catalog of Firearms, this is just a basic level pistol.

Anyone know anything about them?

Thanks,

Gary

I have the Camper model and I really love the balance and feel of it.

It is good for plinking but the way the sights are built might be a problem for serious target applications, because you need to unscrew the rear sight to take it down for cleaning, and thus you might lose your "zero" when you put it back on. I can't shoot well enough to have it make any difference to me, but the target shooters are in a different class altogther.

The sight base is made of plastic also, which might be less durable than if it were made of metal.

But like I said, I really like the way it fits my hand, and the way it balances.

Taking it down for cleaning is reasonably easy, but again there is a plastic insert in the bolt that I had trouble getting out and would wonder about wearing out sooner than the metal parts.

I have the Buckmark standard model that you describe. I like it very much. It is pretty much a copy of the old Colt Woodsman, another of my favorites. It is probably more of a field gun or plinker than a formal target gun, due to the weight and small sights, not that there is anything wrong with that.[grin]
You can keep it adequately clean without detail stripping. I find the accuracy more than satisfactory, with most brands of ammo and it functions flawlessly, with the factory mags. Beware of aftermarket mags. I have two factory mags that have never failed, and one aftermarket mag that has regular FTF's.
Because of Browning's decision, not to sell handguns in MA, the values of the Buckmarks increase quickly, a good investment

Back
Top Bottom