• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Browning Belgium/Portugal

milktree

NES Member
Who's a Browning Highpower nerd?

The interwebs says it was built in '92.

Does the "Made in Belgium assembled in Portugal" make it special in any way? (either better, or worse)

A friend has a chance to buy this exact one, I'm trying to help figure out what a reasonable price is.

highpower.JPG

Lots of the production went to Portugal Because production was cheaper. It’s definitely not better than the 100% Belgian ones, and hard core collectors won’t want it because of the reference to Portugal. It’s similar to how the brownings from Japan don’t command the love the way they Belgians one do.

Lots of the production went to Portugal Because production was cheaper. It’s definitely not better than the 100% Belgian ones, and hard core collectors won’t want it because of the reference to Portugal. It’s similar to how the brownings from Japan don’t command the love the way they Belgians one do.

This. It's like how Fender builds guitars in Mexico: it's a cost-cutting move that a lot of purists sneer at, though the guitars are just as good.

Me, I wouldn't care. BHPs are well-designed and well-built no matter where they come from, and I'm saying that as a guy who's owned Canadian, Hungarian, Belgian, South American, and Portuguese guns. They all shoot fine. Though, aesthetically, I've never been fond of that big mainsail of a front sight.

That's about a $7-800 gun, like everyone else is saying. A non-Portugal premium is only about $100 though, probably even less.

Lots of the production went to Portugal Because production was cheaper. It’s definitely not better than the 100% Belgian ones, and hard core collectors won’t want it because of the reference to Portugal. It’s similar to how the Brownings from Japan don’t command the love the way they Belgians one do.

I have two. Both assembled in Portugal. A Hard Chrome version for 1992 and a blued 1989. Preban 13 and 15 round magazines are available. No complaints.
Nothing at all wrong with a Portugal-assembled BHP, but nothing particularly special about it either. The thing is that you are far more likely to find a Portugal-assembled BHP model in top/better condition simply because of its later/newer manufacturing date. Likely more affordable too. [thumbsup]

I'd be perfectly happy with any classic, top condition Browning Hi-Power. [rockon]

I once read somewhere (don’t remember where or when and do not know if it’s true) that do to export regulations or some other legality that the guns were built in Belgium, field striped, boxed , sent to Portugal, assembled and then exported. Sending them to Portugal was just a work around. Makes sense in the sense that nothing makes sense in Europe. Maybe the EU regulations are involved? I don’t know. If this is true then one would think the quality would be the same.

I once read somewhere (don’t remember where or when and do not know if it’s true) that do to export regulations or some other legality that the guns were built in Belgium, field striped, boxed , sent to Portugal, assembled and then exported. Sending them to Portugal was just a work around. Makes sense in the sense that nothing makes sense in Europe. Maybe the EU regulations are involved? I don’t know. If this is true then one would think the quality would be the same.
Interesting story. 🤔 Even more interesting if true. [cheers]

I've never heard that story before and I think I've studied the topic fairly extensively. But I am always willing to learn, so if you ever come up with a reliable source for it, I'd love to learn of it. [thumbsup]

Back
Top Bottom