"Buggin" In - Can you defend your place?

Unfortunately, I am literally the only person within my network of family, friends and casual acquaintances, that owns firearms.

I have come to the sad realization that in order for me to survive SHTF scenario, I will have to arm, supply and train the willing sheep within my network. A few of them have stepped up in the recent years and showed some interest, but none has yet to arm themselves or store supplies. As a result, I have acquired firearms, ammunition and supplies for a squad size unit... not that I wouldn't have done it anyways! [smile]

The thought rolls around in my head a few times a year whether or not I would be better of going at it alone, but it's hard to disconnect from family and friends knowing that they will be the first to succumb without assistance.

Just about everyone I know is scared of guns, guns make them feel "Uncomfortable." Yet every damn one of them says "I know where I'm going when things get bad"

Now you all went and got me depressed with my situation again. [crying]

Last edited:
Just about everyone I know is scared of guns, guns make them feel "Uncomfortable." Yet every damn one of them says "I know where I'm going when things get bad"

I hear that too. I've already told my sheeple friends who assume they can leach off of me, "you can knock all you want but the door isn't opening. If it does you better be wearing kevlar." [thinking]

All I'm gonna say is that any looters coming down my street are going to be in for a VERY nasty surprise.

Let's just leave it as .308 fire from multiple directions and rapid PD response...

I hear that too. I've already told my sheeple friends who assume they can leach off of me, "you can knock all you want but the door isn't opening. If it does you better be wearing kevlar." [thinking]

I'm in the same boat. My friends get the same glazed over look about SHTF, as my wife does when I talk about the LaRue mount I bought for my M1A... [shocked]

One of my friends said just last weekend when we were out riding ATV's: "Well hell if shit goes down in the Berkshires, I'll just head to your house".... My response: "No offense <insert name> but only show up in my yard if you like to see bright pretty flashes of gunfire coming from my front door"..... [wink]

I have enough weapons to arm a few people, but not nearly enough food to go around. In a SHTF scenario, I'm looking out for me and my own - period. Get here early and bring food and I might let you in.....

One of my friends said just last weekend when we were out riding ATV's: "Well hell if shit goes down in the Berkshires, I'll just head to your house".... My response: "No offense <insert name> but only show up in my yard if you like to see bright pretty flashes of gunfire coming from my front door"..... [wink]

It honestly pisses me off when my sheeple friends say stuff like that. Imagine him going home and telling his wife and kids, "Don't worry honey if something bad happens we will just head over to Derek's house and live off of his food while he protects us..." [thinking]

oops.. almost forgot!

I have to drag around a useless 120lb bag of fur with me.

539401719109_0_ALB1.jpg

Were I ever to be invaded by a roving band of dirty socks, I am well protected... he has no equal![laugh]

Other than the warning barks, he fails miserably as a guard dog.

But of course as a Watchdog, he fits the bill perfectly! Big difference between guard, and watch, and that extra minute warning he gives you, may be the difference between getting your rifle ready to fight, or having to fight your way TO your rifle!

Yeah I must admit that my family too has little to no interest in guns or preparing for something bad. I will be taking one of my cousins and his girlfriend to the range for the first time this weekend. I have no problem protecting and helping my family but will expect them to at least learn to shoot. As for non-family, help-out or go away.

But of course as a Watchdog, he fits the bill perfectly! Big difference between guard, and watch, and that extra minute warning he gives you, may be the difference between getting your rifle ready to fight, or having to fight your way TO your rifle!

Oh he's a great watch dog... He'll watch you come in the house and take all that I own.

He would probably help you if he could, as long as the dirty socks were left untouched. Somehow I think those items are far down on the "things to steal list."

oops.. almost forgot!

539401719109_0_ALB1.jpg

Were I ever to be invaded by a roving band of dirty socks, I am well protected... he has no equal![laugh]

I don't know........I've heard stories of the biggest pets turning evil when there home is threatened. He just might surprise you when the SHTF....

oops.. almost forgot!

539401719109_0_ALB1.jpg

You and me both and she's only 70lbs, barks like she's 120 and ranks higher in my book than most people I know....

HPIM1337.jpg

NES'ers are welcome to follow we can set up a ranch like in "Lights Out".[wink]

Yeah, lets set all up a place in Northern VT!! We can build underground tunnels and bunkers, stock food & weapons and have a place we can all defend...Maybe we could do this on the land we are going to buy for building the NES Range...[wink]

I argee the "Lights Out" scenario would be great (And Optimal) but most neighborhoods, barring one where all the NESers lived would not fair so well in a total SHTF scenario.

Seriously though, I'm sure I would be up S*its creek if the bad guys came calling. All my neighbors are nice enough but they are sheeple to the bone...I have plenty of food for a "Bug In" and plenty of guns and ammo to defend it for a while, but long term we would have to Bug out somewhere more defensible or remote.

All I'm gonna say is that any looters coming down my street are going to be in for a VERY nasty surprise.

Let's just leave it as .308 fire from multiple directions and rapid PD response...

the people on my street look like they'd help load their own posessions onto the looter's truck and then feed them before they leave asking them to stop in the next time they're in the neighborhood.

Thanks - she's awesome. After 3 pure as the driven snow Golden Retrievers, I wound up with my first mutt. She had big paws to fill and has done so. I know her mother is a purebred Yellow Lab - the father's identity is unknown - though the breeder claimed it was a Golden Retriever. Roxie was a rescue really. The breeder was a suspect scumbag from New York State, (we reported her and she was shut down). She got out of her car, (I answered an ad in the paper), with 3 5-week old flea infested, malnourished and filthy puppies. I took all of them and found great homes and connected with Roxie. She's my closest ally in this world.

Sorry for the hijack, but back on point - I have SHTF provisions for her as well......She ranks... [wink]

I have a friend who lives in some pretty dense woods in the Grafton area that I've made a deal with. I will bring my stockpile of food and weapons over to his house and he will provide the very well built wood cabin that has a generator, well water and plenty of hunting grounds to scrounge up more food and a nearby lake to get fish. His house is so far off the road that his dirt driveway looks like a side entrance to the house on the road it's next to. Nobody suspects a house would be there even when he tells people where it is. This may be bad, but I've already worked out a plan in my head on what we'd need to do if it came down to defending it. My wife thinks I need help.

I also live in a townhouse community. It's small with only 11 units with a lot of retired older ladies with only of few people my age. Most of them are easily identified as sheeple. I've thought of arming these people to defend the community, but gave that idea up as a lost cause. Most would probably be to scared to even pick up a gun, never mind using it to shoot at someone.

How much emergency food do you keep on hand. I was looking at the possibilities, and you can buy food that will last a family of 4 for up to a year. What is your take on this? Do you really need a year supply, or would you be fine with something less. Also, where do you wind up storing it. And Finally, do they teach any classes on prepardness for these situations? If not they should.

If not for the proximity of a major highway, My neighborhood would be an ideal place to defend. Most access is heavy brush or swamp. The dogs announce everyone. The family of deer would be sacrificed. (^_^) And I know my land well enough to keep most out. With some quick removal of signs and some fallen trees, I could even hide the shared dirt driveway pretty well. (we actually have 2 other 'roads' out if needed, but would be tough to find by would be invaders)

Some strategically placed Tannerite on some other trees would also help to repel would be looters. (^_^)

As for emergency food... I haven't been talking about raising goats for a petting zoo.

As always, if the mobs came, we'd have it tough, but unless we did something to attract attention, I'll bet we'd be OK.

I have several months of food, I would love to have a year, I will eventually. Water is one of the biggest concerns, you always need a good supply

How much emergency food do you keep on hand. I was looking at the possibilities, and you can buy food that will last a family of 4 for up to a year. What is your take on this? Do you really need a year supply, or would you be fine with something less. Also, where do you wind up storing it. And Finally, do they teach any classes on prepardness for these situations? If not they should.

My take on this is to have your family try it before you buy it in large quantities. My kid won't eat anything thats freezedried and my wife really dosen't care fot it.

You can store it anywhere in your house. I'd suggest rodent-proof containers. You might not see any mice but they are there.

This has been discussed in the survival forum on other threads.
Use "advanced search" and set your search to find posts "from any date".

My roof is designed in such a way that with very little movement I can cover all approaches to my house.

With an AR and an M1 and lots and lots of mags and clips, it will be a long time before anyone makes it close enough to light a match.

If they do, they are going to have to jump over lots of bodies.

Mobs, by their very nature, are made up mostly of chickenshits who would not dare try anything on their own and who think they are invincible in the pack. They underestimate the fury of a trained rifleman defending his home to their peril.

IMO, it only takes killing a half dozen front runners for the rest of the pack to scatter. Shooting a few as they run for good measure.

I live in a congested major city with standard city blocks and houses within spitting distance of each other. I can just hope the piles of bullet riddled bodies surrounding my house would make anyone with a match think twice about approaching. Plus if it ever got really bad I think flamable liquids would be pretty scarce too.
At least if food really runs low there'll be plenty of meat laying around.[laugh]

My roof is designed in such a way that with very little movement I can cover all approaches to my house.

With an AR and an M1 and lots and lots of mags and clips, it will be a long time before anyone makes it close enough to light a match.

I can chuck an alcohol filled tennis ball pretty far... Once it hits you're going to have a large wall of fire on your roof.

How does an alcohol filled tennis ball sets things on fire?

It's not like a molotov that shatters on impact. It would probably bounce off......

In any case, anyone with anything on their hands is going to eat a bullet.

I can chuck an alcohol filled tennis ball pretty far.
[hmmm]More than 300 feet, without exposing yourself? Beside wouldn't a tennis ball just bounce away?

I've shot flaming tennis balls out of carbide cannons so I have some idea how far they can go, and how far they can bounce [smile]

In fairness, I'm sure an intelligent, prepared and motivated individual or group could take just about any home given time and the right equipment. I just don't believe that describes the vast majority of goblins in a SHTF scenario. The smart folks either bug out, bug in, or find the easiest pickings.

Cut and taped they will break open. I can easily throw one 300'.

You guys act like I've never done anything like this before. There were some summers in High School where we got bored and "invented" new ways to burn stuff. [smile]

And at night you wont see me 250-300 feet away. If you think you can defend your home by yourself you are mistaken.

Last edited:
Gentlemen:

First, your job is to convince the people that want your house and possessions in dire times that it is not worth the cost approach your house. They will then go somewhere else.

During the Rodney King riots in LA, there was a report I read in NRA's Freedom First that one old man with a .22 rifle sat in a lawn chair at the entrance to his trailor park to protect the park. The angry crowd came down the main street, looked at the old man with the rifle and kept going! It wasn't worth it to attack the guy when there were undefended stores, etc. nearby.

Convince the opportunists during lawless times that it is wiser to go next door, than to approach your dwelling.

You are mostly youngsters. Anyone seen Omega Man with Charlton Heston? Watch it. The movie was from the 70s and amazingly the bioterror in the movie still could happen today.

My thoughts only.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom