Bulk ammo sourced locally?

I cant take this 100 round packs from BassPro. Can someone PM me a good place that I can go to buy some bulk 223 & 9mm. Also Primers & bottles of powders.Never been to Riley's or any NH shops but I dont want to take a ride North for nothing. Thanks, any help would be appreciated. Only place near me on south shore is Hunters trading post. They dont carry any bullets only powder and sparse primer selection.

Between Riley's and Shooters, you'll find a pretty solid stock of bulk ammo, primers, and most (but not all) powders as well as bullets. Both shops carry the tools also.

Plan to make a few other stops on your ride north, the trip will pay for itself just in sales tax evasion.

Glenn's in North Reading.

I think Glenn's is most likely the only shop centered around reloading in MA. I will be up there 9/3 and hope he is open when I get there. Last trip up he had only been open a few months and had more reloading stuff than any other shop I have been to in MA.

I only was able to hit a few shops around the west side of lake Winn in NH and not much there.
Traffic was horrific coming home so I missed going to the boarder stores mentioned above.

- - - Updated - - -

As for bulk ammo in MA ..... good luck.

The Sportsman's Den in Quincy is about 5 miles from Hunter's. Might be worth a call.

Shawsheen in Billerica had a decent price on cases of Fiocchi .223 a couple weeks ago. Might want to give them a call. Don't think they have reloading stuff, though.

Check out the reloading classifieds here on NES.

For powder and primers can take a look at Bullseye in Woonsocket, RI or D+L in Warwick, RI. Have to pay RI sales tax.

I think Glenn's is most likely the only shop centered around reloading in MA. I will be up there 9/3 and hope he is open when I get there. Last trip up he had only been open a few months and had more reloading stuff than any other shop I have been to in MA.

I only was able to hit a few shops around the west side of lake Winn in NH and not much there.
Traffic was horrific coming home so I missed going to the boarder stores mentioned above.

- - - Updated - - -

As for bulk ammo in MA ..... good luck.

Shooting Supply in Westport has an extensive stock of Reloading Equipment and supplies.

The Sportsman's Den in Quincy is about 5 miles from Hunter's. Might be worth a call.

Went by there because I had never been. Nothing here to offer for reloading. Had 4 bottles of winchester 231 and 4 HS6. No others and no bullets for reloading. Figured I'd stop by HTPost on the way back but nothing new there. They have lots of powders but never the kinds I am looking for. No Varget,No HS335,NO CFE powders,very few IMR, and no bullets for reloading. After being muzzle swept twice by the same dope looking to buy a gun I decided to call it a day.

I'm going to visit Glen's for the first time soon, excited to check them out.

Cabelas in Berlin - plenty of bulk ammo in various calibers (5.56 included).

They also have some wicked interesting new ammo, .556" ammo. Whoo-Ha!
I have to get my hands on that one.

cabelas.png

Went by there because I had never been. Nothing here to offer for reloading. Had 4 bottles of winchester 231 and 4 HS6. No others and no bullets for reloading. Figured I'd stop by HTPost on the way back but nothing new there. They have lots of powders but never the kinds I am looking for. No Varget,No HS335,NO CFE powders,very few IMR, and no bullets for reloading. After being muzzle swept twice by the same dope looking to buy a gun I decided to call it a day.

I'm,not sure if hunters is actually trying to get into reloading supplies or they picked up all that powder from another shop or old timer selling off his stuff?
What I find funny still to this day is many shops make zero attempt to get what you want?

Glenn's has a good selection of powder (mostly 1 pounders), primers and lots of projectiles as well as ammo in both common and uncommon calibers. Also a nice selection of used guns, targets, and cleaning supplies.

Al's has a LOT of powder in many many different flavors in both 1#, 4# and 8# jugs. Not a lot by way of primers or projectiles and his ammo prices are high.

Collectible Arms has no reloading supplies but a great selection of ammo in bulk and single packs all at really good if not the lowest prices around. Equivalent to mail order prices but no shipping charges.

Forgot to suggest Collector's Gallery in Stoneham, which is NOT a reloading "destination" but is worth a stop while passing through on your way to Glenn's.

Their reloading stuff is against the front wall, upstairs. While they focus on muzzleloading, there are always interesting vintage-y dies and other miscellaneous tools, and from time to time I find really hard-to-find powders there. That was the first place I finally tracked down some Trail Boss recently.

Good point, Collector's has been well stocked for powder lately! They had a pile of 231 recently

What I find funny still to this day is many shops make zero attempt to get what you want?

Funny I was thinking the same thing. Why are no local gun shops pushing the sales of reloading supplies? It seems so simple to me and a great way to get regulars coming in.

Something like this..

Shop -- Oh, what type or reloading supplies are you looking for?

Buyer -- Well, I do a fair amount of reloading Im looking to buy some bulk powders,projectiles, and primers on a pretty regular basis.

Shop -- Well, I can place an order for you on our next shipment. We place orders twice a month. What exactly are you looking for?

Buyer -- 8 lbs of this, 2lbs of that , 1000 rounds 55 grain .223, 1000 round 9 mm, 1000 rounds 45 ACP. Oh, prepay for order no problem. Call me when it gets here in 2 weeks.

Buyer -- Hey, can I buy 4 boxes Federal 124gr HST

Shop -- No we dont have any of that.

Well could you get some if I pay for it?

Funny I was thinking the same thing. Why are no local gun shops pushing the sales of reloading supplies? It seems so simple to me and a great way to get regulars coming in.

Because there's little or no profit in it. The gun shops pay not much less than we pay from (insert name of mail order house that we can't name here). Basically the entire exercise is a waste of time for a gun shop unless they mark up the piss out of the product. Which means that you'll get guys buying one pounders here and there in a pinch but nobody is going to buy a 4 or an 8 pound jug if your product costs $30+ more than the online price. The bigger shops like SO, Rileys, etc, can justify carrying the stuff because they can move enough of it in a given month to make money. The smaller shops though won't even bother because they can't sell enough of it in a given time frame to even justify having it around.

-Mike

Because there's little or no profit in it. The gun shops pay not much less than we pay from (insert name of mail order house that we can't name here). Basically the entire exercise is a waste of time for a gun shop unless they mark up the piss out of the product. Which means that you'll get guys buying one pounders here and there in a pinch but nobody is going to buy a 4 or an 8 pound jug if your product costs $30+ more than the online price. The bigger shops like SO, Rileys, etc, can justify carrying the stuff because they can move enough of it in a given month to make money. The smaller shops though won't even bother because they can't sell enough of it in a given time frame to even justify having it around.

-Mike

I agree but some things are done just to bring customers in. Like the lottery. All places carry it to get customers in there to buy the stuff they can make a profit on and do. Not everthing has to be a home run and I certainly dont mind paying more money for the convenience of knowing I can get what I am looking for. If the price is to steep then you can say no but at least make the offer to get it.

-Mike

Bingo. I have a wholesale account and after paying hazmat fees etc. Theres maybe a dollar or two to be made on a 1lb jug.

Bingo. I have a wholesale account and after paying hazmat fees etc. Theres maybe a dollar or two to be made on a 1lb jug.

Maybe thats where I am lost on the whole thing. I am assuming when a dealer places and order from his distributor that he pays the hazmat on that shipment not the same hazmat fee over and over for every item. Am I wrong? Like 10$ hazmat on an 10lber. If they order four 8 pounders do they pay $40.

My supplier charges a flat fee of $27 for the first 48lbs of powder. Plus shipping costs. Then if you get primers, powder and primers must ship seperately. So another hazmat fee.

Seems like a waste of time and $ to ask shops to order components for you. Just cut out the middleman (shop) and order it yourself. Done. I think I've ordered powder and primers probably six or seven times in the last two years alone.

Exactly. The key is you need to order enough to make up the extra costs etc. As long as I order more than 10lbs worth of powder its worth it for me.

Also for me being a non FFL, my options are limited a bit, so some may be able to get better pricing.

Maybe thats where I am lost on the whole thing. I am assuming when a dealer places and order from his distributor that he pays the hazmat on that shipment not the same hazmat fee over and over for every item. Am I wrong? Like 10$ hazmat on an 10lber. If they order four 8 pounders do they pay $40.

The hazmat fee will most likely be a flat fee whether he orders 1 pound or 48 pounds so unless he orders the max, he's getting screwed. Now he also has to pay the shipping cost (by weight) on top of the hazmat fee. He also is going to be limited by his town/fire chief as to how much powder and/primers he can have on the premises at any given time, so if he already has near his limit, he can't order the max to save on the hazmat fee and his profit margin is quickly going down to 0 or even negative.

Now on top of all that, he has to front the money for the powder too which may or may not sell at the price he'll need to charge to get it there. And if you find what you want somewhere else a week after you tell him you'll be back in 2 weeks to pick up what you told him you'd buy, he's sitting on that expense till it sells.

Not as simple as it would seem.

I'm just want to mention a few things.
For a few years I tried getting shops to either order stuff in accept orders for me.
Right now I deal with 4 places.
All of them charge 27.50 hazmat for up to 6 8lb jugs or 50k primers and can mix and match primers and powders up to 60# or so...I don't remember the exact.
Deals on shipping are based on order amount. Shipping has never been to bad on the maxed out per box orders....
Now on average from the few shops local to me that have powder there's usually a 8-10$ spread on one pound jugs and 50-70$ on 8# jugs
Primers are 3$ or more per thousand locally and I can't by 5k anywhere... last shipment of primers where on sale 50k primers waived hazmat and total came to 24.89/1000 shipped.

So I have been to shops where I have asked to just be the receiving address for orders and all they have to do is provide a copy of the FFL. Then I asked if they would do this for a flat fee or percentage of the order. So far no one has ever want to go that route.

No I understand it's not profitable to order 1lb of powder and 1k primers for one person coming in but to say there's no money to mad is not right the problem is in product movement.
Also MA stores have storage restrictions also and the local Chief can restrict that even more on his own accord.

What I think some shops are missing is being a "legal" shipping option for MA residents anyway.

So you MA FFLs what would you charge to accept a order that was placed and paid for by the customer you just need to provide FFL and address ?
I have to look up my past orders for reference.

Back
Top Bottom