Bull Barrel Break-in

Fixxah

NES Member
Any suggestions as to what .223/5.56 bullet is best for breaking in my new toy. John at JDL says lots of patches on rod until 150 rounds are eaten. It is going to be a freaking cold day if I can get there tomorrow. I have ball ammo right now that I want to use but want to do it right. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Related; Does anyone have any experience with Tubbs break in system? From what I gather it is 20 bullets that are coated with something that are fired to condition the barrel. I saw them for sale in the Cabelas Shooting catalog and it piqued my interest

Related; Does anyone have any experience with Tubbs break in system? From what I gather it is 20 bullets that are coated with something that are fired to condition the barrel. I saw them for sale in the Cabelas Shooting catalog and it piqued my interest

The Tubb system is similar to the NECO kit, but it comes with bullets.

I've fire lapped a couple of barrels and it works very well. Not sure I would use it on a high quality barrel (Krieger, Pacnor, Hart, Douglas...) though.

B

EDIT: I think it would work well on a factory tube that was rough.

For the most part barrel break in is a myth just dont start out with back to back mag dumps and you should be fine

I hate to disagree but breaking in a barrel is required on all rifles. Take a look at any bolt action manual. My DPMS heavy barrel AR rifle came with instructions on proper break in procdures. So did my Remington 700, Savage heavy barrel and my AR.

I hate to disagree but breaking in a barrel is required on all rifles. Take a look at any bolt action manual. My DPMS heavy barrel AR rifle came with instructions on proper break in procdures. So did my Remington 700, Savage heavy barrel and my AR.

Barrel makers would love you to "break in" the barrel. All that work with a bore brush, rod, and extra rounds will wear it out that much quicker, so they can sell you a new one.

Famed barrel maker, the late, great Gale McMillan, wrote:

The break in fad was started by a fellow I helped get started in the barrel business . He started putting a set of break in instructions in ever barrel he shipped. One came into the shop to be installed and I read it and the next time I saw him I asked him What was with this break in crap?. His answer was Mac, My share of the market is about 700 barrels a year. I cater to the target crowd and they shoot a barrel about 3000 rounds before they change it. If each one uses up 100 rounds of each barrel breaking it in you can figure out how many more barrels I will get to make each year. If you will stop and think that the barrel doesn't know whether you are cleaning it every shot or every 5 shots and if you are removing all foreign material that has been deposited in it since the last time you cleaned it what more can you do? When I ship a barrel I send a recommendation with it that you clean it ever chance you get with a brass brush pushed through it at least 12 times with a good solvent and followed by two and only 2 soft patches. This means if you are a bench rest shooter you clean ever 7 or 8 rounds . If you are a high power shooter you clean it when you come off the line after 20 rounds. If you follow the fad of cleaning every shot for X amount and every 2 shots for X amount and so on the only thing you are accomplishing is shortening the life of the barrel by the amount of rounds you shot during this process. I always say Monkey see Monkey do, now I will wait on the flames but before you write them, Please include what you think is happening inside your barrel during break in that is worth the expense and time you are spending during break in

Barrel break-in is simply the gun equivalent of a urban myth, with no scientific data to support it.

I have read pros and cons on barrel break in from extremely knowledgeable sources. I broke mine in by cleaning it frequently for the first 100 rounds or so, just to be safe. I did this during a practice session so the rounds/barrel life weren't wasted.

Back
Top Bottom