Bullet seatin 8MM Mauser

I am reloading my first batch of 8MM Mauser. I have 3 questions.
1. After full resizing, the .323 Hornady 150 G bullets wont fit into neck at all. Am I missing a step here? Belling? Using RCBS new 2 die set.
2. I was attempting to use 47.5 G of IMR 4064. Powder would not be compacted but case is pretty full. IMR website says 36G of IMR4064 as starting load. I was referencing Speer and Lyman manuals and get my load at 47.5G. Need some advice here...Im shooting a 98K rifle in good shape. (Im using a 505 RCBS scale)
My cases are just at max. length. Should I trim back?
I would prefer not to blow myself up...any tips would be appreciated.

Al:

The bullets are supposed to fit tightly in the neck. If you are loading flat base bullets, they can be difficult to start unless you lightly chamfer the case mouth, or bell it slightly. A Lyman "M" die for 8mm is available from Midway for about $10 and is a worthwhile investment, especially if you ever start loading cast bullets. For flat-based jacketed bullets, use the M die to bell the mouth ever so slightly, just enough so you can start the bullet in the case, no more than about 1/32", and keep it staight while the ram goes up into the seater die.

One of the reasons that 4064 enjoys such a good reputation for accuracy in the old "full size" military cartridges is that it bulks up well in the case: the most successful loads have been those that are slightly compressed, or leave little air space between the powder and the base of the bullet. Your chosen charge of 47.5 grains should perform well.

Published "trim-to" lengths are usually conservative, but it's good idea to keep your cases under that length unless you know how to do a chamber cast to determine what the actual retail length of your chamber is.

If you like 7.92 x 57 (incorrectly called 8mm by us Gringos), you would really enjoy a Yugo 24/47.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

Thanks for the info Bob S.......The closest I came to an answer re bullet seating was to slightly swage out inside of neck. Your answer is more accurate. I will probably by the M Die and also experiment with a neck die instead of the full resizing die. The same person also sais that heavier bullets would prabably work better (mimic military bullet ). Again, that for the excellent rely....

Back
Top Bottom