Buttstock Options for AR-15 in MA

1) The entry level is pretty short, I would go with the regular length ACE.

2) Model1 sells it cheaper when you consider they include buffer tube, buffer, and spring: http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=468

OH, I like the sounds of this better than the CTD one.

My question is I'm planning on useing a new style upper with the piston, I saw on a show that you need a different buffer for a piston gun compaired to the standard AR.

Were they just plowing gas ( pun [smile] ) or is it true that you need a different buffer for a piston gun???

Thanks

David

I've heard this before too! Any learned legal opinions on this paging lens.... Lol

There is nothing in the law that really determines the standard of pinning/inhibiting for a stock. There MAY be a BATFE tech branch letter out there that defines a technical standard for what is appropriate, but if it exists, I've never seen it. If it exists it is probably as obscure as the regimen they used to use for determining what was or was not a flash hider.

Back when the feds handled this, most of the manufacturers at the time were what I would call "obsessively and excessively conservative" . For example, if you had a fake collapsible stock, there was no way in hell you were ever going to convert it to a real one without a lot of work. Those things were (and are) pieces of garbage never intended to ever collapse. Ironically enough a lot of rifle manufacturers are now using what I would call "marginally locked" stocks and shipping them to MA/NY/CT. Some of these stocks are easily restored (with tools) to being a real collapsible. I think the logic is it is cheaper to do that than it is to have a "custom cripple part" like they used to.

That said, as far as I know there is no law mandating blind pinning. Even with just a roll pin through it the argument could be made that the effort required to remove and install the roll pin is no different than what would be required to change the whole stock out.

-Mike

Last edited:
I got a MOE last week and pinned it. I looked at fixed stocks but they did not work out well (too long). I have had 4 shoulder surgeries in 3 years, my (weak) hand, (left) is not capable of extending out to support the M4 so I got an adjustable stock, adjusted to where I can shoot it and pinned it in that spot. It worked out great and only took 5 mins and 35 cents for a pin. I can only shoot from the right shoulder if the weapon is as close to my right shoulder as possible. I am hoping things change in 6 months so I can shoot normally again. But this will work until then.

thing i never understood about collapsible stocks is.. where do you put the cleaning kit....
and what happens if you have to butt-stroke someone??

now, my A2 stock is apparently causing issues with my 16" spike's upper...
and even when i was 18 the A2 stock was a bit too long for me.... (i was more flexible back then...)

an A1 is probably about the right length (an inch or so shorter than the A2 would be perfect for me..)

so now i find myself looking at collapsible stocks, carbine buffers and hoping i don't ever have to butt stroke someone again :(

I have a LNIB ACE skeleton stock that I'll sell you for half price. It's missing the foam sleeve that goes over the buffer tube but you can get a replacement from Brownells or MidWayUSA for about $4. PM me if interested.

Hey guys,

I'm currently working to assemble my lower receiver on my AR build. Trying to find a good looking MA buttstock that looks like an M4. Looking for something non collapsable since I live in MA and dont feel like dealing with any BS. Any names of companies that offer these. It's hard finding a buttstock that is mass compliant it seems like. Most are collapsable. Any websites to check?

Plus, there is a little storage compartment thing, right? I also would guess these are far cheaper than the fancy/popularity stocks too. Win, win, win!

Yup, I keep an Otis cleaning kit in it.

I got the stock for $20 and then had to buy a new buffer, spring and buffer tube and then bought a new butt plate. I wet sanded the stock. Now it all looks brandy new.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Sorry to bump this thread but how can I pin a stock if I can't order the Magpul stock online? Most sites will not ship to MA but I want an adjustable stock to pin it closer to me. Any info would be great.

Thanks. Do you know of any NH border stores that carry stocks?
Stateline @ Mason NH. They have AR armory onsite. Why NH border? There are many good store in MA.

PAW in Frankin MA. Good guys
FS in Woburn has Magpul goodies in stock too.
Collector in Stoneham.

Sorry to bump this thread but how can I pin a stock if I can't order the Magpul stock online? Most sites will not ship to MA but I want an adjustable stock to pin it closer to me. Any info would be great.

If you believe this then I have a bridge to sell you. Most vendors don't have any problems shipping most things to MA. It's only some of the big name crap distributors that limit or block shipping to MA.

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Why NH border?

Probably because most shops in MA are not going to have an unpinned collapsible that he can modify to his own needs.

-Mike

I called 7 stores, two in MA, State Line, and Rileys. None have the MOE Magpul stock. I hate MA so much, all I want is my cheek closer to my AR!!! What do you mean a bridge to sell me drgrant?

Thanks but that is a little much for just a stock that I am going to pin. The Magpul MOE is perfect for what I am looking for.

I called 7 stores, two in MA, State Line, and Rileys. None have the MOE Magpul stock. I hate MA so much, all I want is my cheek closer to my AR!!! What do you mean a bridge to sell me drgrant?

I'm not sure if you know that Magpul MOE don't come with buffer tube, buffer spring and buffer...etc. Are you trying to mod your S&W MP15 sport?

He,s telling you .......you aint looking hard enough! you want cheap get the smith and wesson M&P stock its like 25 bucks. I hate recomending ebay but heres one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magpul-MOE-...=743724589172883502&pid=100033&prg=1011&rk=1& theres tons of this stuff out there. Check AR 15.com equipment exchange endless stuff there endless. its a part not regulated same with uppers

try zero hour arms.....theres a few other AR based shops around also. just cant think of the names right now.

Last edited:
Thanks but that is a little much for just a stock that I am going to pin. The Magpul MOE is perfect for what I am looking for.

It's not a collapsible. And it comes withe the rifle size buffer and spring.

ETA: Sorry, I didn't see your update. THe RRA is about 10.5" from the end of the butt to where it meets the lower.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom