Buying a 100% AK recv'r...

mdh

Hi all, I have a couple of AK kits waiting to be built and I'm trying to decide whether to build from flats or just go with a pre-assembled receiver like NoDakSpud's.

I'm just curious as to how difficult it is to find an FFL willing to do the transfer on the 100%. Is it in the same category as buying a 1911 frame? (ie, you probably need to be a really good customer/know the FFL personally), or is it a pretty standard thing?

If anyone knows of a shop out in Western Ma that would do it I'm all ears! :)

Thanks!

Since it is a long gun receiver (although you could check pistol off...) any FFL will be happy to do it. They don't do it often but it is not perceived as a grey area like transferring a pistol frame.

Ok... sorry to drag this one up again but I'm running into a problem. Seems that none of the dealers I speak to want to deal with it. Maybe I'm asking wrong or something? My last attempt went like this:

<after buying stuff, chatting a bit>

Me: "I have a question for you... I have a couple of Romanian AK kits that I would like to assemble into MA legal rifles using 100% receivers that would need to be transferred via FFL. I already have all the 922r compliant parts and was wondering if you would be willing to transfer the receivers and what you'd like for a fee."

Him: "Yeah I guess I could do that... where did you want to buy the receiver from?"

Me: "NodakSpud. He's a mfgr/FFL out of North Dakota"

Him: "And that's for an AR, right?"

Me: "No, AK"

Him: "Oh, no. Sorry, things are just too scary in MA to get involved with that. I would do an AR but not an AK."

Me: "Ok, thanks anyway"

:(

Find another dealer.

Don't know who in W. MA, but I do know that there is at least one out that way who will transfer frames.

Find another dealer.

Don't know who in W. MA, but I do know that there is at least one out that way who will transfer frames.

Thanks Len, I will keep searching. Just making sure I'm not asking something that's way out in left field. Judging by the reactions I've received so far, I was beginning to wonder...

-M

Thanks Len, I will keep searching. Just making sure I'm not asking something that's way out in left field. Judging by the reactions I've received so far, I was beginning to wonder...

-M

Find another dealer, and don't even go through the explanation you
proffered before. Just tell the dealer you want to transfer a
semiauto AK reciever. That's all they need to know.... offering
up too much information scares some of these people. They
don't need to know what you're going to do with it afterwards
anyways.

-Mike

Where in Western MA are you? If you are looking around Pittsfield, forget that. Go to Pete's in Adams (North Adams?) on Route 8. I've found that the Pittsfield FFL's are afraid of anything not Fudd like.

Where in Western MA are you? If you are looking around Pittsfield, forget that. Go to Pete's in Adams (North Adams?) on Route 8. I've found that the Pittsfield FFL's are afraid of anything not Fudd like.

I as well was going to suggest Pete's. He is the only one I deal with. Great guy (and other guys that work for him). Extremely friendly and a great guy to deal with. He moved into his new shop not too long ago...has the feel of a mini KTP but when you are there you get the feeling that you are welcome.

9 Grove St (Rt.8)
Adams, MA 01220
413-743-0780

Hours: (Last I knew...may have changed a little)
Mon - Closed
Tue & Thurs - 12-8
Wed & Fri - 10-5
Sat - 9-3
Sun - 10-2

Find another dealer, and don't even go through the explanation you
proffered before. Just tell the dealer you want to transfer a
semiauto AK reciever. That's all they need to know.... offering
up too much information scares some of these people. They
don't need to know what you're going to do with it afterwards
anyways.

-Mike

Thanks Mike,

I'll try abbreviating my query on the next attempt... It may be my imagination, but it seems that the moment the letters "A" and "K" leave my mouth their face develops a grimace, and the head starts shaking... As a result, I keep babbling to hopefully illustrate that I might be at least slightly aware of what I'm doing. No luck so far.

I'm a ways east from there (Springfield area), but after the recommendation from both yourself and DietCola, it sounds like it's worth taking the trip. Many thanks for the suggestion!

To make it easier...

Contact NODAK and see which up to date MA FFLS they have on file to conduct the transfer for you. I know they have Four Seasons on file (they did my receiver transfers for me).

Auto Sport Distributers in agawam, they had 100% Ak recievers at one of the big E shows, (and kits) they are close to you. guy seemed OK ( a little over priced but hey it was a show)

I'm a ways east from there (Springfield area), but after the recommendation from both yourself and DietCola, it sounds like it's worth taking the trip. Many thanks for the suggestion!

You may want to try Nick's in Palmer. It's very easy to get to and it is a great shop. I've driven from Lee on more than one occasion because I like them so much.

Check them out here...http://www.nickssportshop.com/

Success! Finally!

My office is about 5 minutes away from Auto Sports Distributors in Agawam so I figured I'd stop by and check the place out. Not only did he not recoil in disgust when I mentioned the AK receiver, but he had a few NoDak's right in the display! We chatted about builds for a bit and I was on my way, FFL copy in hand. Great experience for once!

Thanks again everyone!

Is a post-ban AK build legal in MA? I though Romney signed legislation to create a Massachusetts AWB when the national one sunsetted.

Can you still build an AK, only without the "evil features"?

Too bad I didn't catch you before ordering your 100% reicevers, or else I'd offer for you to come up to my place in NH and bend up flats. I've got a press and a jig, also all of the riveting jigs. If doing several, it is much cheaper to bend up Tapco flats for the $10-$15 each that they cost as opposed to buying 100% recievers for $50 each.

yes post ban is legal in mass. No bayonet lug, flash hider, folders etc. it was a mirror of the fed law that expired, they redid the mass one to delete references to the now expired fed law.

Yeah the AWB is still in full effect here in MA, so for the build to be legal the final result will have to be AWB compliant. My builds will need to have the muzzle brakes pinned/welded, neutered bayonet lugs, no folding stocks...etc. Less than ideal, but the only other option is moving...

I appreciate the offer anyway! Curious about the riveting jigs... Did you buy one of the premade jigs or build your own? I've seen a few ways of doing it and still trying to figure out which method I should use.

Thx!

Is a post-ban AK build legal in MA? I though Romney signed legislation to create a Massachusetts AWB when the national one sunsetted.

Can you still build an AK, only without the "evil features"?

Too bad I didn't catch you before ordering your 100% reicevers, or else I'd offer for you to come up to my place in NH and bend up flats. I've got a press and a jig, also all of the riveting jigs. If doing several, it is much cheaper to bend up Tapco flats for the $10-$15 each that they cost as opposed to buying 100% recievers for $50 each.

I got the jigs via a group buy at weaponeer.net. Curtis at AKbuilder.com made most of them, if I recall.

Buying vs building jigs comes down to how much spare time you have and what kind of tools are available to you. Prints for most of them are around on the net, but i look at how much time I'd put into making a jig compared to what I pay my help, and often it's cheaper to just buy a premade jig than to spend hours in the shop to build one, hunt down ram materials etc.

I've got a 1/2 dozen AK kits from different countries to build for my own collection, so it was worth the $100-ish that the bending jig cost me. So far, I've only got two of them running, a Polish underfolder and a Romanian RPK.

Also in the works is a Russian underfolder, a Romanian fixed stock, a Hungarian AMD (gotta file a form 1 to build it as a SBR, it's somewhere in the shuffle on my desk), a Bulgarian underfolder, and a Yugoslavian underfolder. Oh yeah, there is also a Bulgarian AK-74 sidefolder kit out in the gun room too. The way I see it, scoop them up while they are available and cheap because there are a finite amount of them.

The only thing is, my bending jig can't do a Yugo AK or an RPK becasue of the wider front trunnion, so those I build using a pre-bent blank from Coldsteel. There is a bending jig around for the Yugo recievers, and I think Tapco has flats for them on sale for $10.

AKs are fun to shoot and easy to build. Not to mention cheap. Each varient is historic in it's own way. My Russian kit was captured by the Israelis from the PLO before being demilled and exported to the US. Every gun tells a story!

Great stuff! The Akbuilder jigs are top notch. I have all the plans to build something similar, but I agree that it's probably not even worth it to build unless you happen to have a bunch of steel laying around. Sourcing the materials isn't worth the headache. I've been keeping an eye on classifieds of AK forums to pick up a used rivet jig. I figure I can rivet up a few and put it back on the market if need be.

I would have loved to build up from flats, but spot welding the rails and heat treating the holes intimidated me a bit. The NDS receivers are fully heat treated so I won't have to deal with it this time around.

My only regret is not getting into the whole AK thing a bit sooner. Looking back just a few years ago at the prices of Yugos, Hungarians, and other European variants kills me! I picked up a few unfired Romy G kits for a decent price and something tells me I should grab a few more before they start drying up as well. They seem to be the only cheap kits left out there...

My only regret is not getting into the whole AK thing a bit sooner. Looking back just a few years ago at the prices of Yugos, Hungarians, and other European variants kills me! I picked up a few unfired Romy G kits for a decent price and something tells me I should grab a few more before they start drying up as well. They seem to be the only cheap kits left out there...

Same here... I only got into it about a year ago and regret not doing it sooner. I had made future plans for building at least one each of the following... RPK, Dragunov, Krinkov and AMD-65.
However as you mentioned, the price of the kits is getting
ridiculous (the price of the virgin Krink kits is obscene).

I would have also liked to complete a Galil build, but that too is a little more than I feel like spending.

So far, I've completed two builds... a Romanian "G" and Polish PKMKS (with pinned underfolder [sad]), both on NODAK receivers.

I had considered building them from flats, but I don't have much room for the hydraulic press and I figured that for a beginner, I would be better off starting with a 100% reciever then maybe move on up from there.

Click on image for Hi-Res versions...

Awesome looking builds. Gotta love that shiny bolt carrier on the PKMS!

You're a stronger man than I to tackle that underfolder! I stayed away from the folders completely as I knew it would kill me to pin them open. I have a hard enough time just doing the muzzle brakes. There's just something in me that wants to keep those threads clean and functional for whatever reason.

I'd love to get my hands on a Krink kit but not happening at these prices. Not easy to justify buying a cut up non-functional firearm at the price of something new!

The krink kits have never been cheap.
I paid $450 for the kit I built this from, and that was like two years ago.
Some of the other kits were quite a bit cheaper before barrel importation was banned. I bought a couple of AMD-65 kits for $59 each, an AMD-63 for $119, a couple of Polish PMKMS UFs for $149 ea.

frsos.jpg

Here's a link to the Krink build.
http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28744

OK, I'm looking into building my own AKs and I found a nice kit for cheap money BUT it says that per the ATF, "BARRELS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BUILD 922(r) COMPLIANT GUNS"

So what does that mean? That it doesn't count as an American part or that it can't even go in post ban gun?

OK, I'm looking into building my own AKs and I found a nice kit for cheap money BUT it says that per the ATF, "BARRELS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BUILD 922(r) COMPLIANT GUNS"

So what does that mean? That it doesn't count as an American part or that it can't even go in post ban gun?

Doesn't matter if the barrel is American made or not, as long as 5 other parts (6 with "muzzle device"), are manufactured in the USA, you can use the barrel.

The warning from the distributer is required by the ATF...

OPEN LETTER TO FEDERALLY LICENSED FIREARMS IMPORTERS
AND REGISTERED IMPORTERS OF U.S. MUNITIONS IMPORT LIST ARTICLES
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) strives to keep industry
members informed of relevant statutory and regulatory developments that may affect their day-to-
day business operations. The purpose of this open letter is to update licensed and registered
importers of firearms, ammunition and other regulated commodities on the lawful importation of
certain firearm barrels into the United States for commercial purposes.
In an open letter dated July 13, 2005, licensed and registered importers were advised that the
provisions of 18 U.S.C. § 925(d)(3) established the standards for the importation of firearms and
ammunition into the United States. In particular, section 925(d)(3) provides that the Attorney
General shall authorize a firearm to be imported if it meets several conditions: (1) it is not
defined as a firearm under the National Firearms Act (NFA); (2) it is generally recognized to be
particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes; and (3) it is not a surplus
military firearm. However, the subsection further provides that “in any case where the Attorney
General has not authorized the importation of the firearm pursuant to this paragraph, it shall be
unlawful to import any frame, receiver, or barrel of such firearm which would be prohibited if
assembled.”
Importers were further advised that ATF has determined that the language of section 925(d)(3)
permits no exceptions that would allow the frames, receivers, or barrels for otherwise
nonimportable firearms to be imported into the United States. As a result, ATF would no longer
approve ATF Form 6 import permit applications for importation of any frames, receivers, or
barrels for firearms that would be prohibited from importation if assembled. No exceptions to
the statutory language, for example for the repair or replacement of existing firearms, will be
allowed.
ATF recognizes that certain firearm barrels may be used to assemble either an importable or a
nonimportable firearm. With this fact in mind, ATF believes that such “dual use” barrels would
be eligible for importation into the United States under section 925(d)(3) for commercial
purposes, provided prospective importers of such barrels make representations indicating that
neither the importer nor subsequent purchasers of the barrels will use the barrels to assemble
nonimportable firearms. Importers of such barrels must provide sufficient information, e.g.,
specific model designation(s) of the firearm(s) that the barrels will be used to assemble, in the
“Specific Purpose of Importation” section of the ATF Form 6 that would enable ATF personnel
to establish that the barrels sought for importation are being imported for the assembly into
importable firearms. If the dual use barrels are being imported for resale to third parties, the
importer must state in the “Specific Purpose of Importation” section of the ATF Form 6 that
purchasers have been or will be advised that the barrels may only be used for assembly into
certain importable models and must list the specific models for which the barrels will be sold.

Inclusion of a model not known to be sporting may require the submission of a sample for
evaluation to determine if importation of the barrels will be approved.
The Firearms and Explosives Imports Branch staff is available to answer your questions about
the issues addressed in this letter. You may reach them by telephone at 202-927-8320 or by fax
at 202-927-2697.

The prohibition against using the barrels to build a "nonimportable firearm" applies to manufacturers and distributors (like Century Arms).

Back
Top Bottom