Cabelas - Scarborough Maine

M

MACGYVR

I like it. Some don't, some do.

Highly recommend it for long guns. The used gun racks are interesting ranging from $100 to $1200. But check out the gun room. It is not alll $10,000 guns.
they go from $1000 and up in there. The cabinets are open and you are free to handle them.

Picked up a Browning Cynergy O/U last weekend and love it. Original retail was close to $4000, Got it for $1900 UNFIRED as a used gun.

Sale was straight forward (except my indecision between that and the Beretta). Fill out the 4473, pay at the register and walk out the door. The way life should be.

Worth the drive up there from the North Shore. Will be back for more.

Oh and they have new AR-15's in stock for $1050. Cheaper than the classifieds here.

You can still buy it, drop it off at a gunsmith in a free state to Massify it.

The ones I looked at just required a pinned stock and you had to do something with the mag (friends in free states) before you crossed the border.

Still way cheaper than NES classifieds Obama pricing or Four Seasons.

Cabela's in Scarborough , ME

Is it worth the drive up there from the North Shore? I was thinking of taking a ride tomorrow with the wife and baby to check it out and maybe pick up a few things but I have no idea what the store is like. Can I kill enough time there to make the drive worth it? What else is in the area to do?

I usually go to the E. Hartford Cabelas. It's just under 2 hours to get there from N. Central MA. Probably a little longer from the North Shore.

Haven't been to the Maine store yet.

I've been there 3 times so far. Pretty nice gun selection, although I haven't actually bought one from them yet. They also have lots of camping, clothing, fishing, various gadgets (solar radios, etc), even odd stuff you don't normally see like smokers and dehydrators. Its worth a trip. Other shopping to do along the way: Kittery (Kittery Trading Post with lots of guns and other great stuff, and many other stores there). And if you drive a little ways further, you of course have Freeport and LL Bean.

In the warmer months, you can stop at one of the many beaches along that area. Wells Beach, OOB, Ogunquit Beach (note - lots of gays).

Last edited:
It's ok. I've been there twice and both times the weather was crappy so the store was pretty empty of patrons. I've only bought ammo there. They have a pretty good selection of rifle and shotgun ammo but they were all but completely out of pistol ammo. I don't have any experiences at other Cabelas to compare.

I had lunch at the Famous Dave's thats in the same complex. The food was good and I had a little hottie waitress but I ended up dropping $50 for lunch with my son. Their Margaritas were $8 and the drink menu doesn't list prices.

I have no proof but I think the East Hartford one has more show room space. However, Maine has a bigger "Bargain Cave"

I found more of what I was looking for in East Hartford for some reason. It's definitely worth a trip from the North Shore to Maine for the drive. Much more then just gun stuff.

I'm going to be in Hartford on Sunday. I was hoping to get away from dinner and head there. Bastards are closed on Easter. Don't they know I'm going to be there and they should be open. :)

I haven't been, but plan on it next time me and the wife both have a day off.

In my sisters words, "it's like kittery trading post, only super awesome"... little brat didn't give me an ammo report though.

I have been there. It's a good store, lots of different things.
Although, I couldn't even handle a Glock because I am from MA, the guy at the counter wouldn't let me and littlerly yanked the gun from my hands when I said I was from MA.

Haven't been in a 5 months, but I was able to find some unusual ammo in ME, like 4 choices of .454.

I have been there. It's a good store, lots of different things.
Although, I couldn't even handle a Glock because I am from MA, the guy at the counter wouldn't let me and littlerly yanked the gun from my hands when I said I was from MA.

Why did you tell him you from MA ?!

If they ask me I don't answer, or pretend I didn't hear and ask them a question about the gun. They get the hint real fast that it is none of their business where I am from untill I want to transfer it if buying it.

Is it worth the drive up there from the North Shore? I was thinking of taking a ride tomorrow with the wife and baby to check it out and maybe pick up a few things but I have no idea what the store is like. Can I kill enough time there to make the drive worth it? What else is in the area to do?
It's decent, although I'm not sure it's worth the drive from the North Shore. The store is bigger than KTP but a bit more yuppie, although not as much as LL Bean. I didn't see a lot to do right around the store, nothing like the outlets in Kittery and Freeport. They've got a decent amount of gun stuff, but little to no handgun ammo.

I haven't been to the one in ME yet, but I have been to the one in Az, Ct, and PA, with the last one being the biggest Cabela's store in the nation (and the biggest bargain cave). I hope to hit up the one in ME when I go through there this summer.

I like Cabelas. Bought my Browning Cynergy out of the Gun Room. Nice selection of guns.

To the posters bitching about not being able to handle the handguns...They are legally not allowed to sell you a handgun since you are from out of state (obviously we all know this). Hence the reaction of taking the gun away. Having them take the gun out of the case and give it to you to look at is considered an act of selling in the eyes of the law. The act of purchasing is the exchange of money.

They don't want any issues and frankly in the current political climate all it takes is a troll/reporter in the store that day to see them give someone from Mass a handgun that they legally cannot sell to them and flip out and turn it into a congressional emergency.
We all need to start playing by the rules. One slip up and BAM congress has it's final nail in the 2nd amendment coffin.

Boxstores will always have a tighter restriction on the handling of guns than a local gun shop. Same reason why Dick's is required to walk you out the door before they hand the gun to you. Just covering their asses.

And yes I had to show my LTC when I bought my shotgun since I was from Mass because they know that you are required to at least have an FID to posess it. This is clearly stated on the wall by the gun registers. They also have NY, NJ and other states posted as well and what is needed to be shown for purchase.

It's an OK store IMO but I'm lured to KTP. KTP can sell to you avoiding the Maine sales tax.

I've handled a few handguns at KTP without issue. Never bothered talking transfer.

if you have a Maine Non-Resident permint can you buy a handgun in Maine?

Been to Cabelas a few times and picked up Fiocci .223 and other supplies. I like the store.

I went to the E-Hartford store some time ago and was not only able to handle any gun I wanted but I bought one and had it shipped to my dealer in Ma. The 2nd visit (2 months ago) I again was allowed to handle any gun I wanted.

Bob

Actually you can, but the dealer has to be willing to ship it to an FFL in MA, and then you gotta pay all the fees. So, they likely won't want to do that... too much hassle during this high demand we are seeing for guns.

which one is closer to boston?
CT OR ME?

Need some new turkey hunting stuff, and I'm not sure which one to take the hike to.

I think the Maine store is closer to Boston, but not by a lot. Hartford is the bigger of the two.

Respectfully,
jkelly

Back
Top Bottom