Calgarian who failed to report gun theft gets six-month jail term

That's the least of this guys problems...

The judge made the sentence consecutive to a five-year prison term and lifetime firearms prohibition meted out to Beare, 31, last summer.

He had pleaded guilty then to 14 charges stemming from a cache of illegal guns, homemade pipe bombs, ammunition and drugs found inside his rented De Winton home during a raid in December 2008.

>snip<

Another judge will decide Nov. 1 whether Beare is guilty of aggravated assault in the stabbing of a fellow inmate at the Calgary Remand Centre on March 28, 2009.

Shaun Alexander Folk, 33, testified last week he was stabbed by Beare as part of a grudge.

Read the whole story. Seems this guy is a real "winner" . . . not someone you want as a "gun buddy"!!

I don't have a problem with someone getting fined for a first offense, maybe a second offense.

I have a huge problem with the government punishing the victim of a crime.

The guy might be an asshat otherwise, but "failure to report" = malum prohibitum BS.

-Mike

Read the whole story. Seems this guy is a real "winner" . . . not someone you want as a "gun buddy"!!

I agree Len, but it's pretty easy to see how this sort of thing can go off the rails and get misapplied, there's no really getting around the fact that it's bad
law.

-Mike

I agree Len, but it's pretty easy to see how this sort of thing can go off the rails and get misapplied, there's no really getting around the fact that it's bad
law.

-Mike

Mike, I can't disagree with you here.

Most don't know it, but FA-10s MUST be submitted on any loss/theft as well as a police report. Don't recall the penalty however. In addition, "my reading" (may be right or wrong) of BATFE law/regs are that ANYONE with ANY FFL (C&R is my interpretation) MUST report any loss of ANY (even if not C&R) to BATFE by 800 # AND a form within a very tight time-frame. I'm willing to bet that not 10% of guns stolen get FA-10s filed on them!

Back
Top Bottom