• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

California's "High Capacity" Magazine Ban Overturned!

But if your SHTF plan is a AR rifle and a pistol of some type ( and here is where I fear for you in MA) you should have 10 magazines loaded for the rifle ( 20 or 30 round PMags) and for your pistol ( Glock 17 for example) you should have 10 magazines loaded and ready to go at a minimum, for a total of 1000 rounds of ammo for each, if not more.

If I'm spending money on ammo and mags, I'm not equalizing rifles and pistols. I'm putting 90% of my budget into rifles and 10% into pistols, especially if what I'm envisioning is an Israel type situation.

YMMV.

If I'm spending money on ammo and mags, I'm not equalizing rifles and pistols. I'm putting 90% of my budget into rifles and 10% into pistols, especially if what I'm envisioning is an Israel type situation.
Yes. After what's happened, and reading this, I need to update some inventory.

Won’t be much pistol shooting if we go live.
Yup. Then again, a 9mm carbine could change that equation a little, no?

Mark Smith's latest video on the topic wondered would the plaintiffs file an emergency petition with SCOTUS and would the court take it up. He seemed to think they might if it happened.

🐯

Mark Smith's latest video on the topic wondered would the plaintiffs file an emergency petition with SCOTUS and would the court take it up. He seemed to think they might if it happened.

🐯
I can't help but imagine that the folks over at SCOTUS are fuming about being ignored, so I could also see that they might. But what I don't know is if they would simply deny CA's stay or if they would actually just take up the case themselves and make it a precedent that was good for the whole country. Probably the former, although the latter would send a better signal to the lower courts (and would make me walk out the front door and dance in the street).
CC

Plaintiffs (CRPA) shares press release with attorney Smith indicating they do intend to appeal the 9th Circuit stay to SCOTUS.

Smith says he thinks they will deny it, which is not what I took away from his last video, so whatever.

🐯

Going back a bit here, and the Judges point in the decision to refute the low round capacity argument that only 2.5 rounds are fired in the average gun fight. He pointed out that in Colonial times each gun owner was required to have a minimum of 20 rounds of ammo.

I have been reading up on the troubles in the Middle East, in particular the husband and wife who hid their infant twins and tried to defend their home with their legally owned weapons.

The problem was Israel LIMITS a private gun owner to 50 rounds of ammo, so as a Husband and wife they MAY have had up to 100 rounds of ammo.

BTW Israel just fast tracked their licensing process and raised the limit to 100 rounds.

If you are in a fight for your life against terrorists trying to get into your home, 100 rounds isn't going to cut it IMHO.

IMHO this is why you need a thousand rounds of any defensive caliber that is in your SHTF plan.

If you have other guns that are not your defense guns, and you only have a couple of boxes for each gun/caliber, fine

But if your SHTF plan is a AR rifle and a pistol of some type ( and here is where I fear for you in MA) you should have 10 magazines loaded for the rifle ( 20 or 30 round PMags) and for your pistol ( Glock 17 for example) you should have 10 magazines loaded and ready to go at a minimum, for a total of 1000 rounds of ammo for each, if not more.

There have been times when I have thought "why do we have so much ammo, what a waste of money" , but after the events of last weekend I think everyone should look at what they have on hand for ammo and mags for their primary weapons

I am not some crazy with a tin foil hat, I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but in light of recent events, even though they happened on the other side of the world, has me thinking that it would not take much for the same thing to happen here sometime in my lifetime.
With how stupid the bureaucracy is they'll keep the border open and probably refugee the 2m Palestinians and relocate them to the US so that they can repeat the same attacks here by attacking entire towns and cities.

So, yeah, since that's basically Fait Accompli then there should be no restrictions on 2A regarding ammo capacity.

Plaintiffs (CRPA) shares press release with attorney Smith indicating they do intend to appeal the 9th Circuit stay to SCOTUS.

Smith says he thinks they will deny it, which is not what I took away from his last video, so whatever.

🐯

SCOTUS has made it obvious they will uphold any active gun regulation until the case works its way thru a Circuit Court. I don't know why they do it, I guess the 6 on the right are scared to tip their hand as to how they will rule if the case is granted cert and they don't want to end up in a seedy motel on the Mexican border with a pillow over their face.

SCOTUS has made it obvious they will uphold any active gun regulation until the case works its way thru a Circuit Court. I don't know why they do it, I guess the 6 on the right are scared to tip their hand as to how they will rule if the case is granted cert and they don't want to end up in a seedy motel on the Mexican border with a pillow over their face.
As a general matter SCOTUS doesn’t like to get involved with interlocutory appeals. They prefer to wait until there is a final judgement in a case before intervening. That way SCOTUS can have a more complete record in front of them when they eventually make their own decision. Whenever SCOTUS does anything it can have a ripple effect on the entire country, so they want to make sure they have all of the facts in front of them to reduce their chances of making a mistake.

YMMV.
5 pistol mags of whatever capacity each

At least 20 mags for each AR, loaded
I still need to work up to this but it's my goal (ever moving goal)

5 pistol mags of whatever capacity each

At least 20 mags for each AR, loaded
I still need to work up to this but it's my goal (ever moving goal)

That sounds about right.

I'm happy with three mags per pistol. If TEOTAWAKI comes and I'm roaming the woods with a barbed-wire baseball bat, I've got a mag in the pistol and then two spares. But rest assured, I'll also have a rifle with at least six extra 30-rounders on my body, then more in my ruck. A total of 12 would make me happy. Unless I've got my FAL or G3, at which point they're 20-rounders.

That sounds about right.

I'm happy with three mags per pistol. If TEOTAWAKI comes and I'm roaming the woods with a barbed-wire baseball bat, I've got a mag in the pistol and then two spares. But rest assured, I'll also have a rifle with at least six extra 30-rounders on my body, then more in my ruck. A total of 12 would make me happy. Unless I've got my FAL or G3, at which point they're 20-rounders.
I guess some of you have never had to ruck their crap for days at a time. Let me shot-circuit it for you: unless you are in your 20s and fit to the max, roaming woods with a full load out plus food/water/shelter is not just impractical, it's not possible.

a far more reasonable scenario is the establishment of caches in your area of operation and then moving light.

Here's my 2 cents:

The 9th circus will continue being the circus for which it is legendary.

1). They take 2A cases en banc.

2). They sit on the cases for a year or 2 or 3.

3). They finally issue a ruling upholding the ban using interest balancing, using comic books and fictional characters as justification. The referebnces in their decision will point to Japanese and Turkish gun laws and traditions stating that "well when SCOTUS said history text and tradition, they didn't say specifically who's history, text and tradition". Ban upheld. Everyone on the 2A side will be angered that the 9th could be such idiots. But they're not they're simply doing their jobs being road blocks.

4). The case is sent to scotus to seek cert.

5). SCOTUS denies cert. They're super busy on the next abortion case.

6). The second amendment dies in the dirt.

I only wished the republican party wasn't so full of low information dolts that it was worth voting for.

That sounds about right.

Didnt mention the AR-180, ergo you arent serious about it, therefore you should sell to me for a reasonable dollar amount.

Before the BRN 18 inch barrel comes in, especially.

roaming woods with a full load out plus food/water/shelter is not just impractical, it's not possible.

Done it. Over a mountain with some altitude. It took a couple of days to fully exhaust.

Though, with another day to go, I did get to the point of whether I should just die then and there. Mindset was perilously close to wouldn't have cared. 😆

Lesson learned. Short spurts possible. Longer excursions, yeah suck it. Aging is not your friend.

moving light.

Agree.

Literally my first thought was to doubletake

The wisdom of his other posts has long since meant that I wouldn't take his advice, anyway. My RIs taught me well. I don't need his lessons on how to move through the woods, nor on how to do any of the other myriad things light fighters need to know how to do.

The question is…can you still do it 🤔🤔

Doubtful-ish.

70-lb ruck I can probably no longer manage. Six extra mags I most definitely can.

Or? Maybe. The other thing you learn at Ranger School is that you can do things you don't think you can do, if you have to. So who knows? Hopefully I won't need to find out.

Six extra mags I most definitely can.
Happy Got You GIF by Bounce

Thann you should know better!
Or maybe he knows better than you what he's comfortable doing. Don't let your perceptions of your own limitations drive assumptions about others.

Now I want that NES ruck...

Because unless it's a glaring obvious F'up, they won't get in teh way just to push their own "personal" motives. They'll fix it if and when they need to. This is how the Judicial branch should work.

Back
Top Bottom