camping with a firearm

i would like to know if they allow primtive camping at myles standish state forest? and if so would there be an issue with me camping this fall and doing some hunting with my flintlock or maybe a my pump shotgun? i would imagin the same storage laws apply with my shotty.

Myles Standish closes to camping in October.
What do you mean by "privative"? MS does not have any hook ups and you must camp in designated sites. You can't hike into the forest and set up where ever you'd like.

Camping=No, Not during deer hunting season. I'm guessing you mean to hunt deer.
Hunting=Yes, As long you obey the appropriate laws and have your license and permits in order.

Kurt

Camping=No, Not during deer hunting season. I'm guessing you mean to hunt deer.
Hunting=Yes, As long you obey the appropriate laws and have your license and permits in order.

Kurt

i hunt everything that you can eat including squrrles, by primitive i mean no hook ups , flint and steel camp fires, you dig a hole and shit, no people around .i plan on hunting squrrles and pheasant with my flintlock fowler( i have my FID card) . is there a place in MA that does allow primitive camping?

Last edited:
i hunt everything that you can eat including squrrles, by primitive i mean no hook ups , flint and steel camp fires, you dig a hole and shit, no people around .i plan on hunting squrrles and pheasant with my flintlock fowler( i have my FID card) . is there a place in MA that does allow primitive camping?

I doubt you will find anything, government or privately owned (unless a very good friend with
a lot of property), that allows this. I have yet to see a piece of public property that would
allow you to use anyplace on it as your personal latrine (except subways in Boston).

I can think of about thirty places in MA that I could do this...legally maybe not, but I guarantee no one would find me. Sounds like you need to go out in woods and look around a little more. I actually do this a lot. I just go out the night before and sleep in a sleeping bag then around 3:00 I hike to my stand.

Beartown State forest is open to year round camping. You may want to call ahead to see if you can even get in there. They don't plow the whole road.

Checking the DCR website at http://www.mass.gov/dcr/recreate/camping.htm , I was surprised to see that they actually do have a few campgrounds with sites that have hookups, as well as some open all year. I had previously thought that they were all of the "primitive" variety. (i.e. no water,electric,sewer,cable-TV hookups.) If the place allows campfires, they'll have a fire ring, but no cutting down trees for firewood.

As for hunting, they do talk about it on the site as one of their activities for selected parks (with restrictions). Checking the seasons at http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/abstracts/abstracts.htm , however, only shows spring turkey, bullfrog, and snapping turtle seasons overlapping with the April-October campgrounds.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom